Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone will say search search search but i have and no one is giving an answer that says this is exactly how you do it this way. Everyones answers have mixed methods which is very confusing.
What i would like to know is will wiring my lift pump as shown in my image work?
And if so, if i changed the oil pressure wire to fuel solenoid wire would it also work?
I dont want any diodes or anything along those lines.
Thank you in advance.
Tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And by doing that sydo does your lift pump turn of automatically when the car stalls?

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
Sydos wouldnt turn off unless you turn the ignition off. i have mine wired up the same way, on with ignition and a manual switch to turn it off.

Your trying to wire yours up Poslka with a safety mechanism by the sound of it whereby if the engine shuts down or looses oil presure your pump shuts down. Only problem with this that i can see is the pump wont prime the system before the engine turns on which, depending on how your plumb the pump wont work i.e. a carter witout bypass doesnt flow fuel unless the pump is running.

im pretty sure Geeyoutoo placed an inertia cutout switch in his (effectively 'cuts' the earth wire of the pump in a roll over/crash etc). I think manual reset so you push a button or something (or the vehicle is put right way up) and it reconnects the earth and hey presto the pump is working again.

Reactions: Sydo

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I had my carter 4600 plumbed in for a few weeks before I could be bothered wiring up. Truck ran no different to when it's powered and on... Anyway my brain couldn't get around the relay switch block so mine is just wired to 'ign on'. One day I will sort it out so it's only on when there's oil pressure.

·
nissan
732 Posts
I had my carter 4600 plumbed in for a few weeks before I could be bothered wiring up. Truck ran no different to when it's powered and on... Anyway my brain couldn't get around the relay switch block so mine is just wired to 'ign on'. One day I will sort it out so it's only on when there's oil pressure.
well there you go - i didnt think the carter worked that way, mine wont run with it off. Maybe my IP is that far gone!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
well there you go - i didnt think the carter worked that way, mine wont run with it off. Maybe my IP is that far gone!
I would not rely on running a Carter without a bypass, you need a Walbro or other solenoid pump to do that, but you won't get the flow of the Carter with one Walbro, mine will run also but the risk to the IP through intermittent starvation is just too great, I certainly wouldn't risk it, I put the Carter in to lengthen the life of the IP.

Not sure if this will help the OP but here's my wiring schematic:

Carter Wiring.3.jpg

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Hey GU2 you only run a bypass for a carter in case it ****s itself hey

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Basically, yes, or an unfortunate electrical event as well, several years down the track it still hasn't happened :), but at a replacement cost of the VP44 at around $4000+ I'm not about to risk it.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Bryce, soz dude I forgot to say that I have a bypass line and check valve installed.

GU2 is the 3 way switch another relay or just a 'standard 3 way switch' , by the looks of it as well your pump is running when ign is 'on' not just when there is oil pressure?!

·
nissan
732 Posts
Ah, that explains in sim! I have that on the 'to do' list.... 18 months later its still on said list... better get onto that as the consequences if the pump dies are pretty bad!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Bryce, soz dude I forgot to say that I have a bypass line and check valve installed.

GU2 is the 3 way switch another relay or just a 'standard 3 way switch' , by the looks of it as well your pump is running when ign is 'on' not just when there is oil pressure?!
Yes it is on when ignition is switched to on (not accessories), that is what picking up the power for the relay from the windscreen wiper does. No there is no other relay, std 3 way switch, all wired as schematic I put up in post #7.

This has been like this for years now as said with no issues, if for some reason I want the ignition on and not start the engine, then I just put the 3 way in the middle, that switches the pump off totally, then for priming after a fuel filter change I switch it to manual on.

I do not have it switched through the oil pressure switch, for me I could not see any benefit, I already had my contingency plans.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes it is on when ignition is switched to on (not accessories), that is what picking up the power for the relay from the windscreen wiper does. No there is no other relay, std 3 way switch, all wired as schematic I put up in post #7.

This has been like this for years now as said with no issues, if for some reason I want the ignition on and not start the engine, then I just put the 3 way in the middle, that switches the pump off totally, then for priming after a fuel filter change I switch it to manual on.
Where does the delay draw power from when priming with the switch to manual on?

I keep thinking this setup requires keys to be on Ignition for power from the wiper motor to power the relay, thus making it possible to use a 2 way switch instead going to pin 87 and having a simple on and off. Do i make any sense?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Where does the delay draw power from when priming with the switch to manual on?

I keep thinking this setup requires keys to be on Ignition for power from the wiper motor to power the relay, thus making it possible to use a 2 way switch instead going to pin 87 and having a simple on and off. Do i make any sense?
It's drawing directly from the battery through 87a. The reason I have it wired this way is that I can turn it to manual without having the ignition on.

Carter Wiring.3.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Awesome, So it does draw power from through 87a.
Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
For safety reasons, some diesels have stock lift pump connected to glow plug relay and alternator - it works only when glowplugs engaged and alternator charging, so no problems when engine stalls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts