Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I am inquiring about lifts and tyres on my GU IV, I have my heart set on running 35's and I would obvisily need to fit a lift to accommodate this. I was just looking for some advice and/or some pros and cons to this issue. I want some thing that is going to perform off-road, not look pretty on the black top. Therefore I do not want to compromise performance for looks, if a smaller lift and 33's is the answer than I would appreciate your expertise and experience.

Thanks
Chopper

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
6" lift and 35's!

Go for gold!

Drives like off the showroom floor!
Well.. Mine does anyway with the TB45E motor..

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
THeres about 1000 threads discussing this...

You will get the kids that say you need a 500ft lift to look the goods, and you cant go offroad without it.
"Drives like off the showroom floor!" Funny ****!

or you get others who say 3inch lift and 315's is a great setup

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
2" and 31"s with a front locker and sliders will get you everywhere the boys with the "justify your exisetence" stickers on the rear windscreens of their 5"lifetd utes on 35"s...

Just be smart. This way too, it's all legal, and mr plod can't touch you and insurance won't hang you out to dry should someone die in a accident you are involved in .... regardless of fault.

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, some food for thought. That's a good one, Mic! (same as P platers, Commodore utes and RM Williams stickers!) I'll keep that in mind Big Rig, it's hard not to get excited! I've along the grape vine that 3 inch it sort of straining diff angels and etc, and you should 4 inch or bigger and spend the money.

Chopper.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
3" is ample in my opinion, Ive seen pictures on the forums or great flex and travel from GU's with 35's and 3" lift.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
Hi mate.
I would suggest a 3" lift &33s for the road & a set of 35s offroad
Once you go over 3" the cost go up a lot.
Good performing 3" kit is less than 2k with all the right bits
Cheers

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
2" and 31"s with a front locker and sliders will get you everywhere the boys with the their 5"lifetd utes on 35"s....
If you believe that your an idiot.

From somebody who has had a few various bits and bobs in my day. . . . there is an inverse relationship between offroad ability and legality-cost.

Full custom suspension 4-5inch lift 4130 everything, long arm conversion, and king smoothies, hydraulic bump stops and custom mounted-strenthened-braced diffs and towers will be around 11k. plus 4k for walker evans beadlocks and 37in maxxis comp trep's. it will be going under my GQ.

iv currently got a GUIV with a 2in lift and 35's. . . . its great, im lovin' it. -but not a patch on a comp truck setup properly for offroad.

A GQ with the afore mentioned will drive circles around my twin locked GUIV on 35's with its 2in lift.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ive got a full 4-5 inch kit from superior engineering long arm kit, everything replaced with upgraded bits and peices and a set of 35's. there is nearly no touching anywhere except the back a full flex, i have no wobbles shakes, it drives just as good if not better then when it was stock. but i did spend nearly 7 grand on the kit so you realy get what you pay for, it's that simple. you want offroad abbility you have to pay the coin to get all the goodies

i have been pulled over a few times by the police for random shyte and all they say is nice truck or that looks big and thats it. but if im ever in an accident well i probably wont be covered, but thats the risk most of us take

cheers luke

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
2" and 31"s with a front locker and sliders will get you everywhere the boys with the "justify your exisetence" stickers on the rear windscreens of their 5"lifetd utes on 35"s...
oh no,were not going to start talking about these magic 31's again are we.... still dont know why they make tyres bigger than 31's

iv seen first hand what my stock MQ with front and rear lockers and 33's did...went nearly everywere.... but i think this whole 2 inch lift with 31's and 1 locker beating 5inch lift and 35's is a bit of a joke... fair enough iv gotten firther than some with big lifts and wheels im my old rig, but my diffs were scraping ****,as was my chassie.... if i had 35's it would of doubled the old girls ability

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Okay, so 31"s was a bit tongue in cheek. But for a road registrable vehicle, anything over 33s is asking for trouble. If you want full off road prowess, then don't bother registering it.

If you cant get up that track, take a different line / track.

Anyway, for something used on the road, anything over 2"/33 is a bit OTT.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
:) i suppose the main factors involved in these debates are...

is it a daily driver or a weekend worrior ????

does the person care if its legal or not???

everyone is going to think differently.. we can still stir eachother up about it though :p

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright Boys, Cheers.

I work away 4 weeks on 1 week off. So when I drive it, it's predominantly for wheeling purposes, small getaways for 3 or 4 nights towing a camper with my family or a bit of showing off with the boys who have a range of mods and lifts, the biggest being my mates 100 series with a fair bloody lift and 35's and 2 or 3 holidays a year for a couple of weeks a at time. I've recently just upgraded from a GQ with a 3 inch lift and 33's and always felt like I should've gone bigger. I am normally the front runner when we go out with the boys as I have the most 4WDriving experience out of us all. I am just eager to listen to all your advice so I can set the GU up properly 1st time around and be happy with it. I intent to have this truck for a long time.

Chopper.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
3inch and 35's is bigger than a GQ on same.

if your only doing it for show, then do what you want. you can get 8in lift, 4inch bodylift and 40's.

having said that GU's dont need as big a lift as GQ's to fit same sized tyres.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
just go a good 4inch lift and 35's..... plenty clearance and not over the top.... 2 of my mates have gu utes with 6inch lifts and 35's...seems like a perfect combination,but they do stick out in a group,1 mate has had a yellow but he kept his stock suspension so if he got a yellow he could just swap it all back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts