Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,528 Posts
make sure you get a double cardinal joint rear tail shaft.or at least the correct gear box packing kit.as the viberation will have you ducking for cover lol.if ya can get hold of a front diff center chuck that in the rear to give you a high pinion.this will prevent all of the above.good luck mate i wish i kept my shorty

·
Registered
412 Posts
Search for 3" lifts as in a SWB its pretty much the same stuff needed for a 3" lift to 6" etc etc. Just lengths and driveshaft maybe a problem.

I have a 3" to 3.5" and I have done the following
Coils *4
Shocks *4
steering dampener
Extended brake lines front and rear
Diff breathers as the old ones will rip first trip offroad and handy time to lengthen.
Extended Bumper stops
Longer lower control arms
Adjustable uppers
Longer sway bar pins
Adj panhards
Proportional break bracket extension
2 gearbox spacers
Radius arm spacers
Comp spec drag link
castor bushes

Some of this is needed, some not depending on if you want a lift thats got the height but may not work great on and off road. It has taken me 3 years to become happy with the handling of this setup and the only issue I am still chasing is front flex.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
Search for 3" lifts as in a SWB its pretty much the same stuff needed for a 3" lift to 6" etc etc. Just lengths and driveshaft maybe a problem.

I have a 3" to 3.5" and I have done the following
Coils *4
Shocks *4
steering dampener
Extended brake lines front and rear
Diff breathers as the old ones will rip first trip offroad and handy time to lengthen.
Extended Bumper stops
Longer lower control arms
Adjustable uppers
Longer sway bar pins
Adj panhards
Proportional break bracket extension
2 gearbox spacers
Radius arm spacers
Comp spec drag link
castor bushes

Some of this is needed, some not depending on if you want a lift thats got the height but may not work great on and off road. It has taken me 3 years to become happy with the handling of this setup and the only issue I am still chasing is front flex.

sounds about right,
thats my plans for my shorty...
start with the basic's and add more as i feel thats needed or i want.
im gonna buy the 3" kit Big O (3" coils and 4" shocks) does and some 15mm+ XHD LCA.

as for your flex issue KillaMav; when ya can.. get some 4" droped radius arms with GU slotted bushes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 4" in my SWB, it took...

Coils
Shocks
HEAVY steering dampener (Heavy as you can find, trust me you'll realise why when your castor is up the **** with big tyres)
1x Extended brake line front, swap front one to the back IIRC (...it may be vise-versa...)
Extend diff breather lines.
Adjustable rear uppers
Ripped sway bars out and threw 'em over my shoulder.
Proportional brake valve bracket extension (just make your own from a small piece of steel)
2x 16mm gearbox spacers (just make your own out of 16mm plate steel)
Adjustable panhard rods front and rear
Adjustable drag link
Castor bushes (I will be putting in drop arms, bushes can't correct this angle 100%)
ALOT OF TIME, PATIENCE AND BEERS TO GET IT RIGHT.

This is probably the absolute bare minimum you will need to do.

Just remember the golden rule: Your Diff pinion MUST BE PARALLEL with you Gearbox output (+/- 1 degree)!

Good luck mate.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,567 Posts
make sure you get a double cardinal joint rear tail shaft.
I had double cardinal for my 4 inch lift and it was huge waste of money, do a high pinion rear its 1/3 of cost and uses cheaper stock part.

·
Registered
412 Posts
sounds about right,
thats my plans for my shorty...
start with the basic's and add more as i feel thats needed or i want.
im gonna buy the 3" kit Big O (3" coils and 4" shocks) does and some 15mm+ XHD LCA.

as for your flex issue KillaMav; when ya can.. get some 4" droped radius arms with GU slotted bushes.
Thats the plan as I dont like the idea of drop boxes on SWB Patrols as it looses a fair deal of ramp over angle compared to the LWB. I will end up getting superior superflex arms in the far future.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
I had double cardinal for my 4 inch lift and it was huge waste of money, do a high pinion rear its 1/3 of cost and uses cheaper stock part.

agreed hugely.
someone suggested i do this... i just laughed.
and im only sticking in a 3" basic kit for now.
(3" coils, 4" shocks, HD steering dampner, brake bias bracket and 2 degree caster bushes along with 15mm+ HD lower control arms)

hopefully thats all ill need to have some fun..
down the track, when i have more money...
ill get the panhards, radius arms, depending on the vibes i get, might need adj rear uppers.

and ill see how i go with out the high pinion!

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
i personally wouldnt bother with the superflex arm. pretty overrated, and can affect the handling a touch onroad. i had one fitted with all the longer shocks and properly set up etc and wasnt really impressed. ended up going to normal arms with slotted GU bushes and i reckon i get slightly more flex and no onroad issues at all. plus like a quarter of the price.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
ive heard really good reports of Big O 4x4's droped radius arms.

bout $700 + bushes.

fair dinukim question, no negativaty about this..
what makes a superflex arm any different from a 'standard' dropped radius arm?

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have a 4" LWB springs in my shorty and had problems with rear tailshaft for over 2 years
I have g box spacers, adjustable arms top and bot, double cardin, this and that etc.
read about sim79 putting a high pinion rear diff in.
cheapest option i did and solved all problems immediately.
I cannot say enough on how good an option it is.

good luck with it all;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.