Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with a later model Patrol, those with traction control, that have lifted there Patrol,3 or 4 inches, give me some feed back?
Is it possible?, how does the traction control behave after the lift? Any other problems?
Thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
For the lift. It shouldn’t be any different to lifting an old GQ. Other GU’s are fat and heavy.

Traction control should have little effect. As it will operate off the wheel speed sensors. Same as what’s used for abs. Height of car shouldn’t effect it much.
Big lift and lockers with short arms can have the rear suspension drive under the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,698 Posts
Traction control should have little effect. As it will operate off the wheel speed sensors. Same as what’s used for abs. Height of car shouldn’t effect it much.
Depends on the OP's definition of "Traction Control"...

Late model Patrols have two electronic traction aids, although they are fairly intertwined. ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip) only works when in 4WD and uses wheel speed sensors to detect wheel slip, and then actively brakes the spinning wheel. Sort of cheap electronic diff-lock.

VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) uses wheel speed sensors, accelerometers, steering wheel angle sensor, throttle position sensor, engine rpm, boost, etc. etc. to determine if the vehicle is able to follow the trajectory requested by the driver's input. If it can't, it'll start braking wheels and reducing engine power to try and keep the vehicle from entering an undesired over- or under steer situation. THIS is the part that is significantly affected by excessive suspension lifts and is the reason why most state authorities require a vehicle to be engineered for a total lift (incl. bigger tyres) of more than 75mm (3").

I'm not aware of a lot of people legally lifting late model Patrols more than 3". There's just too many bureaucratic hoops to jump through. And in the case of a Y61, the VDC system is quite sensitive. I think it'll be an absolute PITA to drive a Patrol with VDC and a big lift.

IMO, if you want to have a late model Y61 with a serious lift, fit portal axles.

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys.
I am not looking for a huge lift , probably 3 inches, but I did here about some people having problems, so I though I would ask the question here, and see if anyone has had problems

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,698 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.
I am not looking for a huge lift , probably 3 inches, but I did here about some people having problems, so I though I would ask the question here, and see if anyone has had problems
Going from 31" to 33" tyres with a 2" suspension is considered a 3" lift and is the norm. Perfectly acceptable in a late model Y61 and no need for engineering. Anything over that and you'd have to become good friends with an engineer. ;)

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Won't it still be classed as a vehicle with stability control and therefore doesn't the regs still say you can't lift stability control vehicle without getting it certified that the stability control is uneffected or recalibrated. The issue being that there is virtually no engineer that can or will certify stability control systems. Or did they finally change that. I haven't followed that issue for a while now as it doesn't effect me.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,698 Posts
My understanding is the stability control recalibration still only applies to lifts over 75mm, although this might vary from state to state.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it because every late model Japanese-style 1-ton ute built in the last ~15 years has some form of stability control and there's a lot of them running around with 2" lift kits and bigger tyres.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
This is the latest I could find which says 50mm max in total combination. This is not the way it was originally worded which was part of that uproar with that big blitz several months ago.

To remain within the scope of VSB14, a vehicle fitted with ESC and modified with a suspension lift up to 50mm beyond the original manufacturer’s standard height can be carried out under the basic modification without certification guidelines as listed in Section 4. Vehicle modifications with a suspension lift above 50mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) are required to meet this guideline and Code LS7 or Code LS8 where applicable

·
Registered
819 Posts
Only thought about it from a traction control point. Didn’t think of the stability control.
Didn’t think the Gu would ever be that smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does that mean, 2 inch suspension lift, with 33s is not legal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts