Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a copy of the light test that 4wd action did a few months ago. Curious to see some of the testing (not so interested in the final results)

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
What do you need to know, ive done tons of non-bais testing over the years, i can tell you know, im not going to tell you anything misleading

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Ive asked you for a little advice already, I feel bad asking you without buying something. That said I need to get a move on and see what type of LF I have so I can order a set of your HIDs.

Basically im after a bit of knowledge as to which lights are the best overall, per price and in what ways.

Long story short I want to run a second set of lights for night time offroading. Im trying to work out if its better to get something larger (LF Blitz for example), or run something smaller (LF 170 or Narvas), and in which lights to run the spots for the highway, and which to run the spreads for the bush.

Cliffs: Which light has a good/wide spread for bush work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I run a pair of XGT240 and a pair of 170s.
None are HID so i dont have that kind of power but can get a good spread withthe 170s and 240 push down the highway.....

works for me. If anything i'd HID the 240s for highway use but im really happy with the 170s for spread.....

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Id HID some 240's and run one clear cover and one combo cover, then adjust to suit, you will get heaps of light from a 55w or 70w set, and tons and tons of light from a 100w set

But there not cheap when HID'd, i have just today done a set of Roo Light 180's in 55w HID, and there not as easy to do as the LF, but totally doable and i will be able to supply the parts and the fitting instructions to do them shortly, also can do the full install for you if need be

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id HID some 240's and run one clear cover and one combo cover, then adjust to suit, you will get heaps of light from a 55w or 70w set, and tons and tons of light from a 100w set

But there not cheap when HID'd, i have just today done a set of Roo Light 180's in 55w HID, and there not as easy to do as the LF, but totally doable and i will be able to supply the parts and the fitting instructions to do them shortly, also can do the full install for you if need be
I already have a set of 170's, so do you suggest the 240s replacing them or running both the 240s and 170s side by side.

My initial idea was to run a set of Narva 175 with HID upgrades as spreads, and keep the 170s as highway lights.

I know its been asked before but how do the Roo Lights compare to the Lightforce range for their light output. Ive seen first hand just how strong the Roo Light casing can be when a Zuki rolled onto a roof mounted Roo Light and the light still looked and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I already have a set of 170's, so do you suggest the 240s replacing them or running both the 240s and 170s side by side.

My initial idea was to run a set of Narva 175 with HID upgrades as spreads, and keep the 170s as highway lights.

I know its been asked before but how do the Roo Lights compare to the Lightforce range for their light output. Ive seen first hand just how strong the Roo Light casing can be when a Zuki rolled onto a roof mounted Roo Light and the light still looked and worked perfectly.
Im talking about running them together so u have 4 spotties.
No experience with the Roo Lights, lightforce are alot of coin and sometimes hard to justify and scum love stealing them.... ive lost one set and had an attempt on another.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
... i have just today done a set of Roo Light 180's in 55w HID, and there not as easy to do as the LF, but totally doable ...
I did a set of Rooey 220's using the LF 55W HID kits about 6 months ago and like Jet says it takes a bit of extra tinkering but got a great result.

I run +50's in my main beams (keeps other drivers and Constable plod Happy) a set of 55Watt HIDS in my 220's and a set of 35 watt HID's in 4 inch foggies ($60 the pair on Ebay) in the ARB bullbar mounts.

Couldn't be happier... suits the conditions over here in WA perfectly... the huge spread angle from the foggies lights up from almost 90 degrees either side (darn near a 180 degree spread in total) and close in down the track (a bit more than the main beams in distance but just a huge pool of light) and when the the Rooeys kick in and throw light for bl00dy miles down the track you can almost see God.

I use plain covers on the Roolites as you lose the distinct pencil beam due to the change in focal length when you remove the Xenophot Bulbs and fit the HID bulbs and the spread is just about right with the focus adjustment in as far as it goes... but one plain and one combo as Jet suggests might suit others better.

As a matter of fact I don't use the Roolites as much as I use the Foggies on the highway because the output from the Fog spread reflectors easily has the range and pattern to see the Roos in time and they throw less light back from the reflective road signs. The Roolites come into their own off road or on gravel roads, bitumen with minimal signage.

I had a truckie sit behind me for 100 K's between Karratha and Carnarvon a while back and as we chatted on 40 he was joking that it was only fair he sits behind a car for once instead of the other way around before we traded spots for the next 150 because of the cattle.

·
Registered
nissan patrol ute
1 Posts
if its any help i run 4 IPF HID lights spreads on the outside spots in the middle seem to get good coverage and i also have a set of lightforce 170's HID for sale $550 ph 0407587505

1 - 9 of 9 Posts