Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have just recently bought a 2000 Nissan patrol y61 di st, I was driving it this morning and the car felt extremely sluggish and has gone into limp mode. Do you guys know any good mechanics that are experienced with this problem and can help cheers. I live in Sydney not far from parramatta.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
839 Posts
If your car was running fine up to now, first thing to check is MAF.
located just after the air filter on the admission duct.
clean it gently with contact cleaner. don’t touch the tiny metal part which is the sensor. just clean with the spray.

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
If your car was running fine up to now, first thing to check is MAF.
located just after the air filter on the admission duct.
clean it gently with contact cleaner. don’t touch the tiny metal part which is the sensor. just clean with the spray.
agreed, but as i once experienced even after doing this same process twice, turned out to be a loose connector.
Over time the vibrations would cause the throttle positioning valve connector to disconnect, and instantaneously trigger the limp mode.
turning the car off for a few mins then on again would solve the problem.. till i wud hit a tiny bump :rolleyes:
threw in a few cable ties at it, and voila, bobs your uncle
good luck!

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
839 Posts
Not really. If your TPS connector is not properly secured, or loose, the ECM detects this as if you do not press the throttle (ie "pedal up", and therefore cut the fueling from the IP ( fuel cut). That is not a 'limp mode' as such
'true Limp' , occurs when the MAF voltage exceeds a given voltage for a given RPM.

Also, you may have another effect with the neutral switch ( on a manual Patrol ). Sometimes when it dies, it indicates "Neutral" to the ECM all the time, and in that case, you ECM prevents you from exceeding 3000RPM for more than a few seconds then cuts until RPM goes below 1500 ( to protect your motor when idle).

That neutral switch can be easily tested py pressing the "heat button" on the dash when in neutral, idle, and with a cold motor. RPM should go to 1200RPM. As soon as you put the first gear in, RPM should revert to 750 ( as the ECU detects you are no longer in neutral position, with the neutral switch information ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts