Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I know this has been discussed many time. I have a 2004 3 litre auto Patrol having done 174,00kms. Have made a number of engine mods.

2 1/2 straight through exhaust (no air purifier/ cat)
Blocked EGR- Dawes + needle valve
Catch can
Intercooler fan
Boost and Egt guage.

For last few days first thing in the morning during moderate exceleration the engine goes into limp mode. Foot off the throttle and all fine. Happens 2-3 few times then is OK. Can then drive all day and no problems until the next morning.

There is NO overboosting. Does not go above 14-15 psi. EGT normal
I clean the MAF every 10,000 kms with MAF cleaner. Replaced MAF 50,000 kms ago. I use genuine air cleaner and it is fine. Checked it today (foam down, rubber up).

Have checked all vaccum lines and look OK. Have cleaned intercooler (12 months ago)and was spotless. Appears to have no leaks.

I blocked the EGR and cleaned the inlet manifold in January 2011 and has been going fine since. Should I back the Dawes off a little but why is it only doing it first thing in the morning?? Is something a little sticky??? but what.

I use diesel power additive and also use Activ 2T 2 stroke oil at 200-1 ratio and have done for ages.

Other than this issue going perfectly.

It is not really an annoying problem as it only happens first up but it would be nice to get to the bottom of the problem.

Any ideas

Thanks

Brett

www.followourtrip.com

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Brett,

The only thing that comes to mind is the EGR valve. Even though it’s blocked, it may still be jammed or malfunctioning. EGR isn’t operational until the engine warms. Have you checked the codes?

Also, the air filter should be fitted with the rubber seal down and foam side up.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again Chaz

I will flip that air cleaner (I always forget to look at it when I take it out). No have not checked any codes. I assume I will have to go to a Nissan service agent for that.

I was actually hoping it would just go away but I might be dreaming.

Brett

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Brett,

Check the codes as per post 4 in THIS thread. Also, you could use an ECUTalk module (worth getting for analysing faults).

It may pay to back off your Dawes valve a fraction just to see if it helps. Less intrusive and easy to do. It could possibly be caused by a faulty MAF.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Chaz

Do the ECU talk modules work with the 2004 3 litre. I thought you needed some special plug that this model does not have. Is that correct?

If not where do I get one from and how much. Sounds easier than counting the flashes. I have trouble getting the air cleaner in the right way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need to check the code before I start replacing parts

Brett

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Brett,

Yes, they do work on the ZD30 Di engines. You can just get a cable and use you’re laptop to check codes with free ECUTalk software or get a module and leave it in the car to monitor all the engines sensors as you drive. Very useful to keep an eye on engine temp.

Check out ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display
You will also need the OBD-II adaptor.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chaz

Had a look at the web site for the ECUTalk. Looks good. He says he is having a few problems with Series 111 Patrols (which mine is) but he will refund full amount if does not work. Can't get better than that.

It will be handy to get some of that info. Think the full unit is better value for the extra $150-00.

I have my old MAF that I will put in to eliminate one possible cause.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Brett

The Parfitt Family web Page

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Brett,

I think the problems were related to getting the unit to connect. It seems that some people have this issue and some don’t. It may just be a timing issue with the software, but it should work, just that you may have to turn it on more than once to connect occasionally.

I use Peters ECUTalk software on my car pc and sometimes I have the same problem. Most days it connects straight away, but every now and again I have to restart the program or swap com ports to get it to see the ECU. Annoying at times, but not a big issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts