Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2003 3.0l tdi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have posted previously on this and received helpful advice. My 24 yr old daughter has 2003 Patrol 3.0 TDi. 200,00km. works as a teacher remote SA. Late last year car went into limp mode occasionally but rectified itself so in the end no probs. However on returning to Adelaide in late Dec engine light came on 1/2 hr short of Coober Pedy a( sorry non SA - thats about 8 hours driving from Adelaide) and vehicle went into limp mode. RAA called in Coober P and scan gauge said codes indicated "Oxygen sensor" or "injection Pump". No hope of fixing it there so limped to Adelaide at 80km an hour!. Just short of Adelaide engine light went off and limp mode gone! Allk ifunctions normally. My mechanic looked at it in Adelaide but could not find anything with scan gauge as no engine light/codes activated. did find air filter absolutely clogged!!.and said he could't believe car was still going. He didn't want to do any injection pump /oxygen work without accurate diagnosis. New air filter + service done and drive around for a couple of hundred Km's over a few weeks - no probs. To cut a long story short , daughter did the 1300 km return trip late Jan with Patrol all OK, car good . Last weekend - first trip out with car after late Jan return 1/2 hr down track ,engine light on and limp mode!!. Very frustrating! Sorry for the long story - I would appreciate any suggestions/advice as to what I should do to help my daughter get the problem rectified.Should I just get the injection pump/oxygen sensor done and cross fingers?
Many Thanks
Bruce

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Howdy. Definately keep on top of the air and fuel filters.. Being clogged wont help..

You can clean the maf sensor by taking it out and using some maf cleaner spray (you can get it from supercheap etc).

Next time its in adelaide give me a yell, id be happy to look over it.

There is no oxygen sensor, just a maf sensor which is probably dirty if your airfilter was clogged!

Does the car have a snorkle? Im guessing it gets pretty trashed up there with all the dust and mud.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lim mode

Many thanks, . As you can tell I am a bit ignorant on these matters. I did look at The MAF last year when I was up there visiting , this was after it first went into limp mode on occasions . I took it off and cleaned it - as someone on this forum suggested it. Does the MAF get clogged easily?It doesn't have a snorkel but it was suggested by my mechanic. This would obviously help in your view?
Regards
Bruce

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Many thanks, . As you can tell I am a bit ignorant on these matters. I did look at The MAF last year when I was up there visiting , this was after it first went into limp mode on occasions . I took it off and cleaned it - as someone on this forum suggested it. Does the MAF get clogged easily?It doesn't have a snorkel but it was suggested by my mechanic. This would obviously help in your view?
Regards
Bruce
Yeah just be careful to not touch the maf sensor, just clean it with contact or maf cleaner. Shouldnt leave a residue.
Remember that you have a maf sensor (in the inlet pipe near the front of the engine bay) and a map sensor (on the intercooler).

A snorkle will help keep your air filter cleaner, esp with all the dust and water up there... Just make sure it is fitted properly and sealed correctly.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Regards
Bruce
Mate i would near guarantee it is the MAF, especially since the filter was clogged ect they really dont like that, buy a genuine one send it up to her to get fitted, just been through a simmilar thing, i was buying repco POS, cause there was no nissan dealer in town, as soon as i got a good MAF all the problems went away. Electronics i love em

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got my new maf sensor from nissbits. Best value around, find his email in the vendors section.

Reactions: bassetbruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mate i would near guarantee it is the MAF, especially since the filter was clogged ect they really dont like that, buy a genuine one send it up to her to get fitted, just been through a simmilar thing, i was buying repco POS, cause there was no nissan dealer in town, as soon as i got a good MAF all the problems went away. Electronics i love em
Thanks Bones, I am thinking I might get her to limp it to Alice Springs to a Nissan dealer at earliest opportunity( 6 hr drive) They should have genuine parts. As a matter of interest what does genuine MAF sensor cost?
Cheers
Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Limp Mode

Hi All, Thought I would post the outcome to my original post . Car taken to Alice Springs to a 4 wd/diesel service centre as per recommendation. Expensive but thorough . The car went in and out of limp mode on the way. Upon inspection/analysis by the mechanic the code was 77 "injection pump timing". Upon further investigation it was found that the mains earth for the injector pump was very corroded causing a bad connection, essentially causing the issue. Long test drive - no fault occurring. The dust etc probably didn't help the performance of the vehicle but was not the cause of the limp mode /engine light.The MAF was dirty and was cleaned as well.
Regards
Bruce

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Cool, good to hear the issue has been found and it was not terminal. Over the years it has been proven many times that poor earths can cause many niggly issues with these vehicles. This is one reason that we recommend the second earth strap, but if an individual item has a poor earth or contact in this electronic age it can haunt you for ages, I still have an issue with my fuel tank sender which I believe is earth based, just hard to find exactly where.

Thanks for sharing the result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts