Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu tray td42
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how fast the line speed under load is on a tjm ox hydraulic winch when it is runnimg off your power steering pump?

Also is there a need to have a bigger resovoir than the standard power steering one to stop the oil overheating?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wrong on both counts. No need for a bigger reservior and the power steering system adds more heat than the winch.

·
Registered
nissan
236 Posts
bcraig23,

I had a Ox hydraulic on my 100 series for years... it was unstoppable. - I loved it. Lighter than an electric ( no motor) draws 2 amps of current, ( to run the gating solenoids) and you could run it non stop all day long as long as your motor was running..

that was about the only downside. - motor stops, so does winch... but mine was diesel, and in the entire time, my motor never stopped..

to run a Hydraulic winch, ( mine was a 10,000lb unit) the required pressure from the power steering pump was 1,500 psi. Toyota pwr steering pump produced 3,000 psi.

Yes, line speed slightly slower than Electric.

NO extra cooling needed.

No noise, - kinda freaky actually..

A power steering pump produces MOST pressure at idle.. think about it - when would the wheels be hardest to turn?.. at 0Kmh on bitumen... so DONT rev engine like you would when running an electric winch.

if you turn the steering wheel to full lock, the pwr steering pump by-passes, and STOPS producing pressure ( so it doesnt stuff the steering box). This will also stop the winch from turning.

The winch controls ( in / out) have an immediate effect, i.e the INSTANT you let the buttoin go, the thing stops. - unlike electric which kind of run on for a second. - good to stop right when you need to, but it sometimes causes a bit of a jolt.

Mine was a rebadged 'Mile Marker' - I think all Ox's are.

US military removed EVERY warn, and re-installed mile marker Hydraulics. - I saw them over there, and loved them. I did the Two day Mile marker course, came home and bought one, sold the high mount on eBay.

But to re-itterate, the Only thing they dont like - no engine running... But think about it.. When did your engine last just stop?... versus getting a flat battery, overheating winch motor, water ingress - Oh, BTW, a pressurised sealed system - NO chance of water getting in....

I have NO affiliation with Ox, TJM etc, - just my experience...

Heli..

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
how much? sounds like it may be worth paying a bit more for the reliability they will offer over electric winches.

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
Hydraulic is very good for big long hard winching like being stuck in a bog. Why would you load up your winch so much by running at idle instead of using your wheels to help take some of the load? That is just stupid unless there is a specific reason like you don't have drive to your wheels or your wheels are not on the ground or something.

The biggest draw back is when you would need the winch the most for self recovery. That is when your motor stops in deep water or you have rolled your vehicle. Yes, these two things don't always happen to every person through the life of their vehicle. But if it does happen you will be kicking yourself for not having an electric winch. Or you could have a turfer winch in the back of your truck for just these sort of occasions. Cheap insurance.

If you want more speed then there are many things you can do to make them go much faster. Also, if you're going to spend the sort of money they are asking for then have a look at these winches.Red Winches

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
the red winch looks ok too.

i have always carried a hand winch as i cant always trust an electric winch even if its serviced, and i have used it heaps of times in those situations where i needed to go backwards or have tipped over.

i am just a bit over the hand winch and anyone who has used one will know its a must to have its just annoying when you have to use it when you have a so called perfectly good winch on the front of your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts