Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops...

What made me laugh about the above incident is that Leeroy#1 who recovered me probably paid less for his 4.2 petrol GQ than what the dual Airlockers and 33" muddies on mine cost, and he got through this bit ok :rolleyes:

You have to laugh, otherwise you'd cry...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings,
squalo, Did Leroy take the same line as you?
If he did that is funny that he got through in the ol GQ.
Thanks for sharing . . .some would be too embarrased to admit it.
truck

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Love it!!!, You could say though that you cleared the crust for him and thats why you got through???
Can never really tell why you get through sometimes and other times you fail - even happens to me with twin lockers, 35's etc.
Great to see there are still some peeople out there not afraid to show pics when they get stuck

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think what I did wrong was to simply not go fast enough, slid down off the high bit on the left and it was all over. Leeroy#1 took the same line in as me but with a bit more momentum.

Also let's just say my muddies are pretty good sand tyres at the moment...

Need to push that right foot down a bit harder!

What was also funny was that a few minutes before this happened, Leeroy#1 was leading and pulled over saying "This is twin-locker territory, you go first"... you reckon he knew the track? :p

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reason yet why the Air Leaker failed?
Yep - simply a wire spade connector that had come off. I now carry an airline repair kit though, just in case, and have wrapped all the wiring up nice and tight. Also found that one of the zipties holding the air line on the rear diff was so tight it was crushing the line, fixed that too.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
you make sure you look after my new truck Murray. I think Leeroy got you a ripper there mate.didn't get the msg until monday.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Tyres more often than not make the biggest difference so tell us what you are running and what your mate was running at the time, it's like claws I have seen and out drove twin locked 4wds running 35 claws so many times in my GQ with either BFG km1 or the older style wrangler MTR and at the time no locker fitted

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are 33" STT Coopers, Lee's are 33" MT Claws.

As I said mine are pretty worn, while his would be lucky to have 1500km on them (he only drives his truck on GH trails, nowhere else).

·
Registered
270 Posts
That bog doesn't even look that bad, but boy looks can be deceiving eh. Would be no fun though if you were guaranteed to go everywhere with ease, takes all the adrenaline outa it.

·
Registered
nissan st 08
656 Posts
Thought you might of seen enough mud with all the flood clean up.

I have seen Leeroy's bus go a few places that you couldn't go Murray. No offence to yours in any way mate. The GQ amazes me.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mate you should have seen him on Sunday (that pic I posted was from three weeks ago - actually the day the serious rain came). I winched out of one mudhole then watched him slam into it sideways and blast through, heaps of fun :)

I'm a bit more wary of damage than he is... but yes that GQ is a weapon for something so lightly modded. 3" lift and 33" Claws, that's it! He knows how to drive it though.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
He knows how to drive it though.
Thats says everything. Good on you for acknowledging this point.

Ps: Your truck is a beast mate, sometimes one gets lucky, sometimes one doesn't, i'm sure you know how to drive that beast of yours, so i guess it was just an unlucky day! haha

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Thats says everything. Good on you for acknowledging this point.

Ps: Your truck is a beast mate, sometimes one gets lucky, sometimes one doesn't, i'm sure you know how to drive that beast of yours, so i guess it was just an unlucky day! haha
too true. I have driven with Lee and Murray a few times now. they BOTH know their trucks very well and both are handy behind the wheel. Have watched Lee single-handedly;) drive some hills that more capable trucks have struggled on and Murray can successfully put his gu in places I wouldnt dream of taking a truck like his and brings it back without a mark on it 99% of the time and made it look easy.

Mud is a hit and miss obstacle. I hate it unless i am driving someone else's truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts