Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok..well the lil 4 banger ZD30 has now after ,300,000 km decided to give up. ( Cracked Head )
I have arranged for an engine conversion through a garage recommended by Marks Adaptors and will be fitting a 4.2. As I would rather spend the $$ on something with proven reliability rather than patch up a 4 cyl with 300k already on it. So that decision has been made.
Dont get me wrong I actually really like the ZD30 and with the mods I had it was very spritely and had heaps of go, honestly if they did not have the reputation I would put another in without hesitation, but I would feel like a real **** if i repaired the current or put another on in only for it to go pop 6 -12 months down the track.

My question : My current ZD30 has a front 233 and a rear 260 diff both with lockers fitted ( less than 12 months ago )( ARB Air ) I am understandably keen to keep my lockers and was wondering after i convert to the 4.2 do i :

i) do I need to change diff ratios ?
ii) if so, can I retain my original lockers and just change the crown and pinion ?

iii) if I do nothing will it just mean my speedo is out ?

( ps :it is a manual if that makes a difference to the answers. )

I currently run 35' tyres and my speedo is out by about 8km at 100km and therefore I just drive accordingly. ( I know its not 100% street leagal and I should get a correction kit etc... )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers fellas

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
Leave it and see how it drives, you never know you might be happy with them. Your speedo will stay the same.

I had mine changed from 4.1 to 4.6 to push the 35s a bit easier, i had both lockers in before the change. It will cost around the 2k mark to get them swapped.

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
you currently have 4.3:1 that will be fine pushing the 35's so you can retain your diffs and lockers.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
x3, 4.375's will be perfect for 35's, no conversion needed

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
Perfect. . . i would rather 4.3's than my 4.6's everywhere cept offroad. DONT change a thing!
I dident realise they had 4.3s in them, for sure stay with that ratio. 4.6 is to low for most people but my rig weighs in at just over 6t with the van so i need all the halp i can get.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
True that....:cool:

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Perfect. . . i would rather 4.3's than my 4.6's everywhere cept offroad. DONT change a thing!
TO fix up off road gearing, buy some Marks Gears (transfer case gears)! MORE than enough to put a smile on your face!

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome ........ thanks very much to everyone for the advice.

I can rest easy now, knowing I dont have to fork out for lockers again. The conversion is bruising enough as is.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Build it, drive it, worry later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts