Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu iii 3.0 turbo diesel 2004 manual wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a good service alternative to the dealer service. I have a 2004 3.0l iii turbo due for a 90,000 service. Dealers are quoting $480 while Ultra tune is quoting $285. This is just a service. I dont have anything tricked up to cause any issues. I just want to keep the patrol running to peak performance.

Thanks.
Man vs Wild

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,849 Posts
Go to nissan mate - cleveland nissan are good IMO. Might cost more, but they know the right specs of everything...What's $200 when you know it'll be serived with genuine parts etc...

If it's just a s imple oil and filter change etc, just do it yourself.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
With the amount of threads on this board saying that the dealers didnt change 1/2 the stuff they charged you for, I'd be lookin elsewhere too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Mic,
I live northside of Brissy so coordinateing this is a bit tricky with work etc. I don't have a problem with dealer servicing, but the last couple I have had have been ordinary. Whether the apprentice does it or not I would expect to get the patrol back with some noticeable difference. I have had to go back on two occassions because it ran worse than when I dropped it off. Genuine is good but general servicing won't upset things too much. When it comes to more serious work then I would probably fall in line with genuine parts. I have noticed Ultra tune has popped up on a number of occassions in different posts. Their costs are reasonable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
when i need to get any work done on my Patrol i alway look for a place where i can talk to the person who is going to do the work. this is on reason i wont use large dealerships as you never know who is working on your car.
I would imagine the Ultra tune guy you talk to for the price would be the one doing the work. Makes me feel a little better about letting someone work on my car if i have been able to speak to them.
Thats my two cents worth

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Why people expect EFi vechiles to noticeably "run better" after a service is totally beyond me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Service

I guess you know what the Nissan Dealer is supposed to do; it is on the service voucher.

Ask Ultra Tune what they are going to do? I would suggest their hourly rate is much of a muchness. Is the difference in the parts used or other considerations?

Cheapest is not always best, value for money is a better option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose the point I was making that if I paid $285 or $450 for a service I would expect to notice things are feeling or running better than before I went in. My issues in the past weren't necessarily with EFI. I agree it's value for money. I just don't believe I am getting value for money from a dealer service. At least the few I have tried.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I suppose the point I was making that if I paid $285 or $450 for a service I would expect to notice things are feeling or running better than before I went in.
Sorry, not so.

The olden days when mechanics could tune a carburettor(s) or mechanical injection diesels are long gone. EFi is set from the factory and unless a sensor has failed and been replaced there will be no difference.

Its why I refuse to pay anyone to touch the patrol, apart from NATS, cause I dont have a NATS programmer.

Buy yourself an ECUTalk and a manual and do it yourself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have booked in on Tuesday with a local UltraTune for the service. I'll take the advice and get some detailed info on what I am geting for my $285. Again it's not so much the $'s, this guy is close and handy and has been recommended, so I'll give it a go. WOM normally pays off if the same info comes from a number of people. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
I have booked in on Tuesday with a local UltraTune for the service. I'll take the advice and get some detailed info on what I am geting for my $285. Again it's not so much the $'s, this guy is close and handy and has been recommended, so I'll give it a go. WOM normally pays off if the same info comes from a number of people. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will let you know how it goes.
Good choice. I once had my Patrol GU go to Nissan to be serviced. Even though I paid a very large ammount for Labour & parts, the Employees that worked on my Patrol were young apprentices.

My seats had grease on them, so did most of my panels, and oil wasn't even topped up to reccomended level.

It's just unfair.

·
Registered
nissan 04 gu leaf cab chassis
71 Posts
Mate, if your on the northside of brissy and want a great diesel mechanic, give mike from
Onoffroad mechanical at brendale, I have always taken my nissans to him and he always does a great job that's affordable, I'm
Taking my beast there on Thursday for an exhaust upgrade:)

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
With the amount of threads on this board saying that the dealers didnt change 1/2 the stuff they charged you for, I'd be lookin elsewhere too.
...and many of the other franchises like Ultraturds or Automorons aren't any different :mad:

In "looking elsewhere" I suggest people stay away from any and all franchises unless like Man V Wild you have several recommendations of a good local one. Yes, there are some good ones out there but they are vastly outnumbered by others who need to take every cheap shortcut they can to make the $$$$

Think about it, not only do they have to cover all the operating costs etc and try to make a quid but they also pay franchise fees on top of that..

I have found an absolute cracker mechanic (eventually) who runs his own shop and he does all the family vehicles and I trust him implicitly. He is cheaper than Nissan but significantly more than the budget franchises.

Rant over :driving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts