Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a long ranger 70 litre chassis tank fitted to my 1995 rx 4.2 diesel.Had the truck for 12 months,and in the first 6 months tank worked fine.These tanks use a vacuum system ,no transfer pump ,to send the extra fuel in the spare tank into the main.ie for every 10 litres you draw out your main( standard nissan tank) 10 litres approx gets drawn from the spare,if its avail.All lines blown out with comp air no blockages seemed present.checked and cleaned breather all good.Main tank uses a rubber seal on cap to create vacuum, that still seals really well,after 20kms you are really battling to release that pressure.emailed long ranger ,they said to check cap it may not be sealing ,lol thats the only thing to go wrong in the system they hinted.ok just about at wits end,so you my friends have a task,WOTS WRONG WITH THE BLOODY THING!. It sucks more than a charlie sheen lady friend ,all the lines ,breathers etc have been removed ,blown out ,replaced,and yet 70 litres in it this week will be 70 litres in 2 weeks time.The nissan tank works fine,gauge accurate etc, at this stage all comments will be considered ,so fire away.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Hi white whale

Almost all of my personal 4b's have been petrol motors including my current GQ. The only diesel I ever owned stopped on the freeway one day & I could not find out what was wrong with it, I suspected a fuel problem. I called the RAC & was told that it was the fuel pump & they towed it home for me. A fuel pump on a diesel is a very pricey item, $2500 for the hilux, so I started with cheaper items to fault find. I bought a kit to refurbish the hand pump which made no difference. Then I replaced the small piece of flexible hose between the fuel line & the fuel pump, & guess what, It was fixed. All of that trouble came down to a miniscule pinhole in a fuel line.

Flexible fuel & vacuum hose is cheap. It may be worth replacing your fuel & vaccum lines instead of inspecting for damage, it may be hard to find very small pin holes.

Kev

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Sir Kev, pin holes are hard to find. Vac hose is cheap, but you could always remove the hoses block one end and put an air gun nozzle in the other end and give it heaps, listen closely for air leaking out. it may be as simple a small hole but thats make all the difference.

If you really get fed up with it and cant find the problem, buy a transfer pump for about $50 bux on ebay and hook up a switch on the dash, this way you can pump fuel into the main tank when you want it filled.

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fixed

thanks all , pulled whole tank out today,
pushed thin wire into tank pik up ,which cannot be accessed when tank is in posisition,
there was a tiny 4-5 mm blockage of what looked like silicon in pik up tube , its self only
about 6-8mm dia, that was it !
3 hours to pull it out, 3 hrs back in ( all mounting bolts under carpet ,under seats , which i removed haha.
filled her up ,works a charm , bloody small piece of condom i reakon hehe.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
thanks all , pulled whole tank out today,
pushed thin wire into tank pik up ,which cannot be accessed when tank is in posisition,
there was a tiny 4-5 mm blockage of what looked like silicon in pik up tube , its self only
about 6-8mm dia, that was it !
3 hours to pull it out, 3 hrs back in ( all mounting bolts under carpet ,under seats , which i removed haha.
filled her up ,works a charm , bloody small piece of condom i reakon hehe.
Many years ago I had a 30Si BMW which had an intermittent problem in that the engine would cut out at high revs. It would start again straight away and run for ages until it all happened again. Turned out to be a piece of plastic film in the tank that would gets sucked onto the pickup and then fall off again when the engine stopped. Took bloody ages to find out what it was...

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
I fitted a long ranger tank to my 2.8 but i also installed an electric fuel pump with a switch on the dash. When the main tank showed between 1/4 and 1/2 i transferred fuel across. I also had it plumbed so if it filled the main tank too much , fuel would circulate back into the aux tank. worked fine for me every time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts