Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 1993 Nissan Safari. 4.2D. I'm in Scotland and the vehicle had been imported from Japan. Hopefully the chassis wil be in good condition,is there any bad points of these vehicles to look out for ???

Its a Kingsroad ( Kingroad? ) With full leather and a cooler 8). Think its a manual gearbox,are these more reliable than the Auto boxes ??

Any advice/pointers much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Safari Hoarder
4,693 Posts
1. When was it imported and at what kms?
2. Do the import records still exist?
3. Please tell me all the options and configuration.
4. PM me the chassis number if you can.
5. Drive it, try to start it cold, get it on the highway and if auto make sure it goes into lockup.
6. lift up the rear carpet if you can especially on the cooler side.
7. If original stereo check under the front seats for the amps, make sure the original stereo functions.
8. Check the usual vehicle, engine stuff. Be thorough, make sure you operate everything.
9. Why is the current owner selling?
10. TD42T or TD42? (Turbo or non-turbo?)

As you find issues, don't worry unless it's real bad. Just place a value on the repair.

Above all, we are here to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. When was it imported and at what kms?
112 k kms (70k miles),
2. Do the import records still exist?

3. Please tell me all the options and configuration.

4. PM me the chassis number if you can.

5. Drive it, try to start it cold, get it on the highway and if auto make sure it goes into lockup.
Its a manual box.
6. lift up the rear carpet if you can especially on the cooler side.

7. If original stereo check under the front seats for the amps, make sure the original stereo functions.

8. Check the usual vehicle, engine stuff. Be thorough, make sure you operate everything.

9. Why is the current owner selling?
He does a bit of car selling,mostly landrovers though
10. TD42T or TD42? (Turbo or non-turbo?)
Its a non turbo
As you find issues, don't worry unless it's real bad. Just place a value on the repair.

Above all, we are here to help.
Have answered what i know and entered above and the rest i'll check. Waiting on pics and more detials to be e mailed to me. The trucks 200 miles away from me so i may get a friend to check it out for me before i take the journey.

All i know on spec of truck is..........

4.2 D
Full leather
Cooler ( is this standard? )
Rear disconnecting anti roll bar ( is this standard?)
It's been lifted 3" with springs and shocks. Should there be additional things such as Adjustable Panhard rods ? Castor correction bushes/arms ??

Thanks again for any input,Fraser.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Oh bugger, don't tell me you lucked out and found a turbo beer cooler model?

With a 3" lift it should have castor correction bushes or drop boxes. I'm not sure with a 3" lift that adjustable panhards or drag link is needed. I am sure someone will pipe up with an answer.

·
Safari Hoarder
4,693 Posts
Nope, his is a non-turbo. I keep my exclusivity.....

Fraser,

Rear cooler is an option
Rear sway bar disconnect is standard on your model (never seen one with out)
3" is 1 inch high for no castor correction and other bits (Maybe drop boxes). A good test drive will tell you and check for scalloping of the front tires.

Rear LSD or rear factory locker?

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's deffo not got the caster correction bushes fitted i asked while briefly on the phone. Just springs and shocks. I'll need to find out where he got the lift kit from,perhaps second hand. Any idea where i can get hold of the correct bushes if i get the truck ?

No mention of rear locker,so perhaps only LSD. Quite a lot of Japanese imports tend not to have a rear locker like the UK spec. Even,Pajero's,Landcruisers and prados are rare to find equipped with a locker.

I'll keep this thread updated when i get info/pics.

Cheers,Fraser.

Oh, the guy said the steering seemed 'lighter' since the lift. ? I had a Yota Surf running 33's and the steering was somewhat,lets say 'vague' and wandering. But maybe all that was needed was a heavy duty steering damper.

Also what are drop boxes ?? Sorry for all the questions.................

·
Allergic to IFS
1,006 Posts
Hello Mate,

I'm running a combined lift of 3" and would reccomend the use of adjustable panhard rods if you have the cash as the wheels on the RHS of my truck sit outsid the flares and the ones on the LHS do not.

Here in oz there are a million and one places you can buy castor correction bushes. People often prefer either rubber or polyethylene but i believe each has their pro's and cons. A quick search of fleabay should see you right, even if you do have to pay freight. A good site for sales/info is www.suspensionstuff.com.au.

·
Allergic to IFS
1,006 Posts
IMO drop boxesare a great bit of gear that are a must on any lift 3" plus (so hypocritical as i do not have them myself). They space down your gearbox and ease you pinion angles not to mention bring your suspension back into line, eliminating the need for castor correction bushes. Beware any that require you to cut into your chassis to install, doing so is highly illegal in Australia and i'm guessing in the UK too. Un-nessecary risk when there are bolt through ones available. Once again a search on the "worlds largest communal bin dive" should have you sorted.

Finally welcome, There is a lot of great info to be had on this site. I'd reccomend you pick twinotters brain, anyone who has had more Safari's than i have fingers must have a pretty good idea. Sounds like a pretty highly optioned rig you have there.

P.S I am from Queensland (Not Tasmania) i only have 10 fingers:p

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
get a compression and leak down test done. I would buy adjustable panhrads etc, I would just take about 5mm out of the one you have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback :). I'll need to do some research into all this suspension set up. It's kinda putting me off the truck now :(. I'll see what the seller say's and it's alway's a point to haggle the price down:). Will update with more info as I get it. Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi smiffymc,

I have had a few Safaris down here in Oxford England, they are a great machine and as they are imported mostly less than 10 years in the UK which means that they still have clean solid chassis.... compared to our UK Y60 Patrols which are mostly corroded and rusted through. Check the rear end of chassis as this is where all UK Patrol rust/corrode like mad.

Starting the engine from cold is a good way to go as you will see how it behaves cold... and warmed up too after a drive.

I had one with turbo safari with a blown head gasket which only became aparent after a 15 mile drive... thats after I had paid the guy and driven off :-(

But generally the Nissan 4.2D is an incredible piece of engineering masterpiece, the term "bullet proof" is justified here.

Manual gearbox is the better choice for excellent MPG.... 26-30MPG is possible!

Whats it up at? If you dont buy it then let me know..... I am always looking for Safari/Patrol 4.2D in the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi smiffymc,

I have had a few Safaris down here in Oxford England, they are a great machine and as they are imported mostly less than 10 years in the UK which means that they still have clean solid chassis.... compared to our UK Y60 Patrols which are mostly corroded and rusted through. Check the rear end of chassis as this is where all UK Patrol rust/corrode like mad.

Starting the engine from cold is a good way to go as you will see how it behaves cold... and warmed up too after a drive.

I had one with turbo safari with a blown head gasket which only became aparent after a 15 mile drive... thats after I had paid the guy and driven off :-(

But generally the Nissan 4.2D is an incredible piece of engineering masterpiece, the term "bullet proof" is justified here.

Manual gearbox is the better choice for excellent MPG.... 26-30MPG is possible!

Whats it up at? If you dont buy it then let me know..... I am always looking for Safari/Patrol 4.2D in the UK.
Hi Faz,i sent you a message a few weeks ago about a safari but you had just taken the deposit on it. I've been at the guy to sell the safari for ages and communication is slow. Its up for 3500. I'm waiting on pictures so i'll post em up here when i get them and forward you the details if i dont go for it. I still have my 3rd Gen Surf here which will need to go to make way for the Safari. Still love the Yota though. PLenty of power and its got the full veg oil twin tank set up :D. Super cheap to run!! But i need a larger tow vehicle now.8)

·
Previously known as twodiffs
3,667 Posts
If it's a good buy and it sounds like it is then don't let any suspension issues put you off.
The reliability of the TD42, gearbox and truck in general far outweighs that imo.

If the suspension hasn't been done correctly (not saying it hasn't - only checking will verify that) then it may not cost much to set it up correctly - if...IF it hasn't.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi All, SmiffySMC
I think it must be this one:
1993 NISSAN PATROL LWB GREY/BLACK SAFARI DIESEL MANUAL on eBay (end time 21-Nov-10 22:14:16 GMT)

Looks Grey and Green to me, not grey/black.....
Check the inner sides of the front and rear bumpers. Rust coming through the Chrome means they are dead. Costs mega to get replacements here in the UK.
External kit looks standard for a Kingsroad.
As said earlier, check for rust around the rear chassis above and behind the rear wheels.
Check over each of the wheels up over the wheel arch for rust 'bumps'. That's where she'll rust first.
======>Just re-read the description and she's already rusting through here.......loads of DIY to fix - unless you are a welder or are only using it in the ruff stuff..
Also check the driver seat support cushion where you get in/out. Leather looks in good nick, but the picture conveniently misses that bit.

·
Safari Hoarder
4,693 Posts
Seems like a fast sale but you won't know until you look at it as the photos are very bad.

Question the mileage, "New CV"???? I doubt it, "a New battery" replacing just one battery won't do it you need to replace them as a pair.

Too bad no sunroof.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts