Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I've owned 3 4.2LT GQ patrols previously But been outta a patrol for a few years now I'm looking at buying a 2008+ GU patrol CRD auto.

Just wondering what's different between this motor and the zd30 does it have any of the problems the old engine has? HAs it got different power/ torque figures etc

Basically I'm asking whether there any good or not, my brother inlaw has a 2004 GU IV 3 lt Auto it's a really nice cR to drive.

Cheers shane

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
The CRD ECU is far better at controling things compared to the Di motor. The CRD ECU has thus far proven to be very reliable at controling all aspects of the motor, most importantly the boost.

Fuel consumption is a little iffy between the CRD vehicles too.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
73 Posts
My 07 CRD is pleasant to drive and so far has been competent in general 4 wheel driving. Fuel consumption has mostly ranged from mid 11s cruising to 15s stop start traffic, but can go much higher in low range 4WD. It had the fuel injectors replaced under warranty at about 45000k, but otherwise has been reliable.

As Paul mentioned, there have been some whose fuel consumption has been inexplicably poor, but I assume most owners are satisfied. The CRDs are also susceptible to poor fuels, and an expensive proposition if that occurs. However I think this is true of ALL manufacturers CRDs, not just Nissan, from what I've read.

Having owned a Toyota previously, I don't think the quality is as high, but nor is the price.

Hope this helps.

Graeme.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Shane,
I know I will get flamed for this, but really it's a choice between 'nice to drive', and proven reliablity.
It doesn't take much searching to find what honest owners and drivers are saying.

It seems like 'luck' on whether or not you get fair, or shocking consumption.

Injectors are very expensive, be always sure you can get high quality fuel. So if touring, it would be a continual worry. Consider adding a finer micron filter.

Other problems are raising their ugly head as the kilometers add up, like gearboxes, EGT's.

You'll miss the low down torque as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTNQ

I recently completed a trip to the Cape via the OTL, Frenchmans track etc in a convoy including a 2005 auto Patrol Wagon and a 4.2 manual Patrol Trayback.

This trip raised real concerns about longevity of the 3.0Lt CRD engine and I wondered if anyone else has a CRD with an EGT gauge fitted or if anyone could offer a comment on the problem: the EGT got to 638c when cruising at 95km on the blacktop and accelerating to 105km/hr to overtake a truck using gentle acceleration so as not to overfuel. It also increased to 627c climbing a slight incline about 1km long. On the Cape Development Road that had heavy rain on new laid clay surface(very sticky) the temp reached just on 700c in 4th gear at 90km/hr. There were many other occasions when the temperature exceeded 600c yet the boost remained normal at about 12 to 14 and a max of 16.8psi. I did notice that by dropping a gear and bringing the RPM up to around 3000 to 3500 under the same conditions the EGT was about 20 to 30 degrees lower. The other shock was the fuel consumption, which for the CRD manual was around 20-25% worse than the 2005 Auto Patrol with a similar and roof rack load and about 30% worse than the 2004 trayback in most 4WD situations.

If my observations are normal then I have grave concerns for the longevity of the 3.0lt CRD engine, and certainly won't be putting a power upgrade computer chip in it as I understand that increases the EGT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom

CRD's arent melting around the place like the old engine, so far the only issues i've ever heard reported from them is high fuel consumption and pump/injector problems caused by bad fuel.

thats not to say it won't happen though. infact i think they will start to show piston and head/gasket failures in due time like pretty much all the modern turbo diesels are. only takes one bad batch of fuel and injector to start dripping for a speed hole to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitie

I have recently had the pleasure of meeting up with Matt_GU who also has a manual CRD and his boost was behaving the same as RussTNQs, so was the fuel consumption :confused:

Cheers,
Whitie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1jase
A mate of mine upgraded his 05 DI to a 08 CRD and is regreting it. He's had problems with his clutch and fuel cosumption is crazy. Averaging about 17 per 100 and whilst towing it's about 20-22 per 100. He wants to sell and go back to a DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennoGU28
Im with skeg, I liked the Di response and power, the CRD seems sluggish and has no balls to 2400rpm and then its over by 3400rpm. The Di was good from around 1800 and also revved higher and harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egroeg
I have a CRD Auto fitted with a DP Chip but no exhaust as yet...no problems with truck except fuel economy. Has now done 14000km and the best i have got is 16.5lt/100km...when in high country with low range work it is as high as 28l/100km.
Not impressed as i hope to cross the simpson next month and with these figures i will have to carry a couple of jerrycans

cheers George

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
yes from my experiance there is less power compared to my old 2004 with all the same equipment. worst thing i did was get the new crd model. fuel economy is thru the roof as well. took it to nissan and the service guy admitted they are down on power and fuel economy sucks:headwall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley
My 2009 St-L manual with 15K on clock needs a total gearbox rebuild. After we started to get grinding when up changing from 3rd to 4th and going into the other gears intimittantly. (and yes we depress the clutch all thew way!) Have had to wait 4 weeks for Nissan to get the 3rd gear cluster in from Japan. Rang dealer today and the dealer has had another 10 present with the same issue!!!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
That said Bruza (and well backed up i might add), most people only complain about the bad things...
No one ever gets on here and says - WOW, my 4.2 hasn't overheated! or My 3.0Di hasn't grenaded!

I myself have had nothing other than a fantastic run so far in mine. i've done 40 000 km since new in dec 09 and am getting solid 11.2L/100km. the torque issues about where it comes on in the rev range only really applies to manuals. The autos from most accounts are great. A mate of mine has an earlier CRD and returns similar fuel figures to mine and loves it just as much.

Bruza's right in the 'proving themselves' stakes of the 4.2, however - the CRD is quickly proving itself to be a good motor - just a little prevention with respect to fuel (i.e. adding an aftermarket fuel filter of finer rating). ALL motors have their quirks. The 4.2 has it's as does the 2.8 and the CRD.

All in all - anyone who's had both the 4.2 and the CRD would be happy with the CRD... Particularly if they're after an auto.

Oh, PS...
Whoever said the CRD is sluggish must've got a bad one (or a super duper Di previously)! From the convos i've had with my neighbour (he's had them all) he's more than happy with his CRD over the Di he used to have.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Another happy CRD owner here Shane, 'o8 model auto. Have had no warranty claims and fuel consumption has been excellent. My last vehicle was a GU4.2 and I wouldn't go back.

As regards the "Dealer had another ten present with the same issue" statement, without total proof I call BS! Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys

I am after a auto , and as far as being sluggish goes my last trip away me and my brother inlaw where both towing off road campers and I couldn't keep up nowhere near him especially up mountains and I was in a V6 pathfinder

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2007 ti
55 Posts
Hi Mate, I have to agree with others here I have an 07 TI CRD auto with 60K on clock and typically get around 13l/100 have had 11.8 but I"m not too hung up on it to be honest. Off road is excellent and pulling my boat is better than my previous 4.2 turbo GQ. My vehicle is basically standard except for a fan on intercooler as I do a bit of low range work on beach. I change oil and filter every 5000K with factory filter and Magnatek Pro oil which I get from Castrol depot, by the way this is the oil they sell in bulk to local Nissan and Ford dealership.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
I love my CRD Auto. Fuel econ about 11/100km highway and 13 around town.

I have 60K on the clock from 2009 and the only thing I can't resolve is the wheel balance.

Nissan claim its the tyres (apparently the standard bridgestones are 2 ply and can shake at high speed), one tyre shop reckons they can't balance a wheel accurately above 100kmh, another said all Patrols wobble so live with it.

Either way I am sick of a skaing sterring wheel and car body at 100kmh +

When the tyres wear out I'll put on the BF Goodrich AT as recomended by Nissan and see of that solves the issue (funny though that no other Patrol does this...)

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I've had absolutely no issues with my 2008 auto. My fuel consumption for the Forum gathering, which mainly involved towing my camper there and back (weight probably max 1500kg) was 16.5lt/100km when I filled up on return, and the drive involved quite a few hills. It goes exceptionally well and the only time that it slows up a bit is with the camper in tow on long hills and the fuel tank is less than half full; when the fuel tank is full, no problems. The most the EGT got to was 630C on some of the steep hills, but I don't give a rats about it anymore, as I think that's just the way they work.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
I have a 09 CRD auto with 30kms on it..Goes great and would buy another any day of the week.
I reckon for every 1 issue that old mate Bruza 2 (who is a CRD basher) has brought up, there would be 100 happy CRD owners.
Go for it I say mate!

·
Registered
nissan navara
109 Posts
I'm another Happy CRD owner as well, only about 25k on her but 10k was up to the Cape and around the top over six weeks. Average fuel about 9.9lit per 100 around town and 12 on a run at 110. Pulls like a teenager as they say. Would buy another as well

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
33000km on mine and I love it. Just did a Fraser trip loaded to the eyeballs and she barely noticed the load apart from the steepest of hills.

My economy isn't great, but then again I have a Steinbauer chip (no other mods) and neither my wife or I baby it.

Even with 33" tyres it jumps off the line smartly and has no problem keeping up with traffic or maintaining highway cruising speeds. The chip helps but even with it disconnected it goes pretty well.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
GU 2008 CRD Patrol

Hi,
I had a 1996 2.8 TD and a 1989 4.2 GQ. My 2008 CRD GU compared to them is quiet, smooth and likened to travelling in a lounge chair compared to the GQ's.

I have fitted a 3" exhaust and a chip as well as block the EGR and now the 3l engine is much smoother with a lot more power. Fuel consumption with the mod's is still ordinary. Hitch the van on the back and it becomes very ordinary.

The fuel consumption is my only bitch with mine. I have also fitted Koni 88 series shocks all round with the standard springs along with a RTC steering damper. The 88's in my opinion after having 82's on the GQ are a far superior Shock on and off road. Poly air bags in the back springs for towing. With this done the ride is fantastic, even when towing my van which is about 2,500 kg loaded.

I have had the GU over some seriously bad Pilbara dirt roads (tracks that are called roads) and nothing has fallen off or broken. It is a serious 4x4 but our D22 keeps up with it and apart from standard it has a chip and Oztec shocks.

The GU CRD is a good 4x4 with pedigree coming from the GQ. If I had my time over would I still buy it... I surely would.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I love my CRD Auto. Fuel econ about 11/100km highway and 13 around town.

I have 60K on the clock from 2009 and the only thing I can't resolve is the wheel balance.

Nissan claim its the tyres (apparently the standard bridgestones are 2 ply and can shake at high speed), one tyre shop reckons they can't balance a wheel accurately above 100kmh, another said all Patrols wobble so live with it.

Either way I am sick of a skaing sterring wheel and car body at 100kmh +

When the tyres wear out I'll put on the BF Goodrich AT as recomended by Nissan and see of that solves the issue (funny though that no other Patrol does this...)

You arent the only one doodlemax, all my patrols have shaked but the problem sorts itself with new tyres

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Had my manual CRD since new (07) - it has 60k on the clock and really enjoy driving it.
The service from Grand Nissan (SA) has been terrific.

Took it in about a year ago for an issue relating to it being a bit hesitant on the first turn of the key in the morning - and without a fuss diagnosed and replaced the injectors. They've attended to the slight oil weep at the front (behind the pulley).

Today I had the new wheel nut indicators fitted and mentioned about pimples coming up on the dash - without batting an eyelid, said yep its covered and will get a new one in.

Its comfortable, easy operation and doesn't feel like your driving a truck (my previous 2001 one had that feeling).

My wife drives it with ease - in fact she takes it most of the time as she is a professional architectual photographer, and clambers up on the the rhino rack with her tri-pod and camera.

I've changed to Hercules Terra Trac light truck tyres and fitted a set of king springs and nitro gas shockers all round, which gives it about a 50mm lift and very comfortable on rough roads / terrain.

Gets me in and out of muddy / sticky areas when I go and play with my son (his GQ).

Cheers
Guido

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you go with the factory warranty with the lifts larger tyres , chips and exhaust etc wouldn't these mods void the warranty.

I also plan on running a 2 inch lift with larger MTZ tyres chip and a exhaust too

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
any modifications risk voiding the warranty of any associated parts if they were to fail.

is the risk you take by performing them!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That said Bruza (and well backed up i might add), most people only complain about the bad things...
No one ever gets on here and says - WOW, my 4.2 hasn't overheated!
WOW, my 4.2 has never overheated, even when my clutch fan didn't work!

First time for everything ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have just recently brought a 2010 CRD Patrol 3ltr Auto and as I compare it to my previous DI 2005 auto Patrol, There is a few differences off the bat. I had a few mods to the 2005 and no mods yet with the CRD, and as such, the bigger tyres and bullbar will make a different to weight and performance
I find the CRD very zippy without a chip,
The CRD is a little rough and noisier, but performs well. I find idling rough, but will keep an eye on that.
Some reason, internally smells way better than the last one, and that has to be worth something
I am watching the fuel economy and will report when I have some real figures.
At this stage I am only fitting the bullbar, snorkel and towbar, in a few days, with an option to raise later. The pod gauges will go in hopefully soon so I can keep an eye on internals
G

1 - 20 of 31 Posts