Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking of buying a chainsaw for quite some time for the “just in case” situations when off-roading ;) but I’ve never actually needed one.

Now, I have a few small shrub stumps in the backyard at the new house that I need to get rid of. There’s about 8 of them and they’re about 60 - 120mm diameter sticking about 50 - 100mm out the ground. I want to get them at or below ground level so that I can run the lawnmower over them. I tried chopping one up with an axe, but that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. So now I’m thinking, should I buy a small chainsaw to chop them up…? :unsure:

If I can use a chainsaw, the next question is what to buy…? Like I said, I don’t have a lot of use for a chainsaw so I’m not looking at spending big $$$s, so I’m weighing up two options.

First option is a small Ryobi One+ 18V. I already have plenty One+ tools so only need to buy the skin, but it only has a 12” bar and is at the upper end of my budget at $269.

Second option is an Aldi 2-stroke petrol unit with an 18” bar for $99. Very budget friendly, but I’m worried about letting it sit on the shelf for many months without ever starting it and travelling with it in the car when going 4WD’ing is less than ideal compared to the electric one.

There’s 3 left on the shelf at my local Aldi.

What do people suggest I do? Ryobi, Aldi, or am I missing the boat completely?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
12,179 Posts
I’ve been thinking of buying a chainsaw for quite some time for the “just in case” situations when off-roading ;) but I’ve never actually needed one.

Now, I have a few small shrub stumps in the backyard at the new house that I need to get rid of. There’s about 8 of them and they’re about 60 - 120mm diameter sticking about 50 - 100mm out the ground. I want to get them at or below ground level so that I can run the lawnmower over them. I tried chopping one up with an axe, but that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. So now I’m thinking, should I buy a small chainsaw to chop them up…? :unsure:

If I can use a chainsaw, the next question is what to buy…? Like I said, I don’t have a lot of use for a chainsaw so I’m not looking at spending big $$$s, so I’m weighing up two options.

First option is a small Ryobi One+ 18V. I already have plenty One+ tools so only need to buy the skin, but it only has a 12” bar and is at the upper end of my budget at $269.

Second option is an Aldi 2-stroke petrol unit with an 18” bar for $99. Very budget friendly, but I’m worried about letting it sit on the shelf for many months without ever starting it and travelling with it in the car when going 4WD’ing is less than ideal compared to the electric one.

Missed the boat lol
Get a Stihl Mini Boss
Best purchase I’ve ever made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,445 Posts
Try a reciprocating saw, you can get different blades for different purposes. You have the batteries.

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,523 Posts
I've got an older Aldi gardenline petrol one in the shed, where it will stay till I get round to throwing it out. Was ok for a while, but then became hard to start. I've now got a 14" Husky battery one, but way above what you said your budget is. If it's going to sit around for long periods, then battery is the way to go. If the Ryobi takes standard bars, you could put a 14" bar on it, which is what I did with mine. The ozito ones get good reviews.

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
244 Posts

Get a petrol, much more power. Stihl, Husqvarna or Shindawa. Will last you a lifetime if looked after. Aldi is rubbish, you're wasting your money. Just start it once a month give it a few revs get it hot and thats it.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,445 Posts
Ross delete Rods post please
My pedigree wouldn’t run on 2 stroke but a rustic old Chev will.
True dat. Bazinga

I gets there, you don’t. Dammit, I can run on old kfc cooking oil. 🤣🤣🤣

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,445 Posts
And you don't cut bushes/trees below ground.that's a sure way to stuff the chain and eventually the bar.Cut 'em really short then chop down verticaly with an axe to split them to nothing [ makes them easy to dry and burn too]
That’s why I use my reciprocating saw, I can jamb a wood/metal cutting blade into the roots, doesn’t matter if I hit rocks. I haven’t used my Stihl for a long time.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
@AndrieK see what happens in general discussion :rolleyes:.
I've got a Stihl I've had for over 25 years, 18" from memory, doesn't need to be that big, I've cut some massive logs with it. It will sit in the shed for months or sometimes years and start no worries. I carry a very coarse, curved hand saw In the draws all the time.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,523 Posts
Get a petrol, much more power. Stihl, Husqvarna or Shindawa. Will last you a lifetime if looked after. Aldi is rubbish, you're wasting your money. Just start it once a month give it a few revs get it hot and thats it.
Power wise, my Husky battery one is a bit above a Stihl Mini Boss. For smaller saws the only advantage of petrol is run time. If I'm trimming & moving trees & shrubs etc, I can easily work for a couple of hours. I get about 45 minutes of run time & unlike a petrol one that's running all the time, the battery one only runs when you're actually cutting. No servicing the engine or fuel to mix & carry on the battery one either.

Reactions: D4D

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
19,858 Posts
After using many brands of chainsaws over the years on a daily basis In my opinion ECHO chainsaws are the best on the market, Japanese made tough easy start and wont break the bank.
This bloke sure knows his shjt..
I have an ECHO CS 680 for sale..
Onlly cut about 4m of wood with it before my injury..
Might be a tad big for your needs but.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t listen to the greenies.
Batteries are for girls toys
Nothing beats a 2 stroke at 20,000rpm ripping through the bark of a tree.
Plus stale fuel wtf , you drain out the fuel after use and put it in your whipper snipper

My whipper shipper is a Ryobi One+ 18V… :rolleyes:

My lawn over is petrol, but 4-stroke.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try a reciprocating saw, you can get different blades for different purposes. You have the batteries.
I might look into that. I don’t like the idea of using a chainsaw down to ground level, which is partly why I was thinking of spending the $99 on the Aldi chain saw. I thought, if I stuff it, it can go in the bin, but I might have other uses for a reciprocating saw, and it’ll do what I need it to do with these stumps, so maybe that’s the way to go.

I’ll just have to wait a little longer before I can become a real man with a chain saw…:sneaky:

@geeyoutoo, I was expecting nothing less from the peanut gallery in GD.:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts