Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
96 GQ Patrol, TD4.2
14 Posts
I’ve been thinking of buying a chainsaw for quite some time for the “just in case” situations when off-roading ;) but I’ve never actually needed one.

Now, I have a few small shrub stumps in the backyard at the new house that I need to get rid of. There’s about 8 of them and they’re about 60 - 120mm diameter sticking about 50 - 100mm out the ground. I want to get them at or below ground level so that I can run the lawnmower over them. I tried chopping one up with an axe, but that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. So now I’m thinking, should I buy a small chainsaw to chop them up…? :unsure:

If I can use a chainsaw, the next question is what to buy…? Like I said, I don’t have a lot of use for a chainsaw so I’m not looking at spending big $$$s, so I’m weighing up two options.

First option is a small Ryobi One+ 18V. I already have plenty One+ tools so only need to buy the skin, but it only has a 12” bar and is at the upper end of my budget at $269.

Second option is an Aldi 2-stroke petrol unit with an 18” bar for $99. Very budget friendly, but I’m worried about letting it sit on the shelf for many months without ever starting it and travelling with it in the car when going 4WD’ing is less than ideal compared to the electric one.

There’s 3 left on the shelf at my local Aldi.

What do people suggest I do? Ryobi, Aldi, or am I missing the boat completely?
LOL, so much happening here not sure why I need to add in. I had a mini boss great little saw but in a wagon the fuel smells are **** and need to decant fuel out of saw and jerry cans before I can go on the Spirit across the strait to the mainland. Little battery saw if you not keen on saws is the best option and if you get your 12 volt right you will probably have a charger or carry a few spare batteries and then be able to use with other tools out on the tracks. For cheap I would start with Ryobi and then work my way up based on budget, some batteries now have usb ports which is great back up for phones or for kids ipads etc.... when around the campfire

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
A little note that many don't realise - because the electric saws don't have a clutch, you can't sharpen your chain on the bar, you have to take it off (the spindle/chain drive is locked when the motor is not running due to the gearing). Not an issue if you keep a spare sharp chain on hand, but if you hit a rock or nail, sharpening your chain on the road will be a pain in the neck unless you also have a vice in your vehicle.

That said, I've just ripped down a bunch of trees in my front yard (for woodwork) using the 240V version of the makita electric saw and it's held up pretty well. But not being able to touch up my chain means I do run with a less sharp chain than I would like more often.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts
A little note that many don't realise - because the electric saws don't have a clutch, you can't sharpen your chain on the bar, you have to take it off (the spindle/chain drive is locked when the motor is not running due to the gearing). Not an issue if you keep a spare sharp chain on hand, but if you hit a rock or nail, sharpening your chain on the road will be a pain in the neck unless you also have a vice in your vehicle.

That said, I've just ripped down a bunch of trees in my front yard (for woodwork) using the 240V version of the makita electric saw and it's held up pretty well. But not being able to touch up my chain means I do run with a less sharp chain than I would like more often.
Did I read that correctly that you chainsaw milled with the Makita 240v saw?

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,649 Posts
because the electric saws don't have a clutch, you can't sharpen your chain on the bar, you have to take it off (the spindle/chain drive is locked when the motor is not running due to the gearing).
My EGO 56V saw allows chain to run on bar with motor off and is fitted with chain brake:whistle:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been thinking of buying a chainsaw for quite some time for the “just in case” situations when off-roading ;) but I’ve never actually needed one.

Now, I have a few small shrub stumps in the backyard at the new house that I need to get rid of. There’s about 8 of them and they’re about 60 - 120mm diameter sticking about 50 - 100mm out the ground. I want to get them at or below ground level so that I can run the lawnmower over them. I tried chopping one up with an axe, but that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. So now I’m thinking, should I buy a small chainsaw to chop them up…? :unsure:

If I can use a chainsaw, the next question is what to buy…? Like I said, I don’t have a lot of use for a chainsaw so I’m not looking at spending big $$$s, so I’m weighing up two options.

First option is a small Ryobi One+ 18V. I already have plenty One+ tools so only need to buy the skin, but it only has a 12” bar and is at the upper end of my budget at $269.

Second option is an Aldi 2-stroke petrol unit with an 18” bar for $99. Very budget friendly, but I’m worried about letting it sit on the shelf for many months without ever starting it and travelling with it in the car when going 4WD’ing is less than ideal compared to the electric one.

There’s 3 left on the shelf at my local Aldi.

What do people suggest I do? Ryobi, Aldi, or am I missing the boat completely?
Hi
My experience with Aldi is good . Cheap Is good for what you need . I have a Ryobi 51 cc cutting Small trees most days on a fence line .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cant get the poo into the backyard? For a small stump like that I
pull them out with the winch on the jeep.
Electric chainsaws... Victa 80 v brushles 18 inch bar is good for big stuff, but fails in freezing snow weather where lithium batteries do not excel. Awesome otherwise. Ozito dual battery brushless Bunnings clearanced at 135 bucks with 14 inch bar… very good for a casual user like me. Excellent. Ryobi 18 v only get the brushless version. Awesome lightweight saw.
Aldi 99 buck 18 inch 2 stroke, bought one the other day because I am a fool, starts easy, cuts ok. Hate petrol powered shyt though. 😀

·
Registered
nissan
5,620 Posts
My 2 Husky 340e, 1 x 15” and the other 18”. Picked up the 2nd one at a garage sale for $150.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Auto part

My cheapie top handle 10”. Good for cutting the branches off after you drop the tree and practical to use with one hand. It looks identical to the Ozito 12” that Bunnings offered some time back.

Chainsaw Saw chain Musical instrument Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Cant get the poo into the backyard? For a small stump like that I
pull them out with the winch on the jeep.
I’d love to go full bogan and rip these things out with the Patrol but unfortunately, in Point Cook, the blocks are so small that you can barely squeeze a wheelbarrow between the house and the neighbour’s fence.

I have a date with a recip saw at Bunnings tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
76 Posts
I bought one of these about 10 years ago and it's still my 'go to' saw around the house as it's so easy to use.
Ozito OZPCS305A
We have an acre block with a number of big and small trees so always something that needs cutting up or pruning.
It's had less problems ripping through big tree trunks for firewood than my 24" 62cc cheapie brand saw, it just takes a bit longer.
Will often sit for months on end without use.
Sometimes have problems with starting and stalling but it's so light and easy to use I'm happy to spend the time adjusting mixture screws.

Or if you're after a cheap battery saw you could try one of these.
Baumr-AG 20V Lithium-Ion 10" Cordless Electric Chainsaw OREGON Bar and Chain
Only $129, includes battery/charger and comes with Oregon bar and chain.

·
Registered
nissan
5,620 Posts
I bought one of these about 10 years ago and it's still my 'go to' saw around the house as it's so easy to use.
Ozito OZPCS305A
We have an acre block with a number of big and small trees so always something that needs cutting up or pruning.
It's had less problems ripping through big tree trunks for firewood than my 24" 62cc cheapie brand saw, it just takes a bit longer.
Will often sit for months on end without use.
Sometimes have problems with starting and stalling but it's so light and easy to use I'm happy to spend the time adjusting mixture screws.

Or if you're after a cheap battery saw you could try one of these.
Baumr-AG 20V Lithium-Ion 10" Cordless Electric Chainsaw OREGON Bar and Chain
Only $129, includes battery/charger and comes with Oregon bar and chain.
That's the Ozito that's the same as the pic I posted above. Just different colour and longer bar & chain.

·
Registered
Nissan
3 Posts
I'm with the reciprocating saw guys, I'm a landscaper and I have a petrol stihl which rarely leaves the shed, a makita 18v 4" and 8" chainsaws which are more usefull then I would of ever owned up too but my go to is my 18v sabre saw, with a 14" blade it's unreal or throw a demo blade in and cut your way through a house

·
Registered
nissan
5,620 Posts
Just zoomed in on your pic and noticed it's the Baumer brand. These little cheapies can be great bang-for-buck! And real workhorses despite the 'lesser' brand names. 👍
They work well once you get a proper chain on in place of the “anti kick back every 2nd tooth missing” version that it comes with.
Also had to do a small mod to the anti vibration connections so I don’t pull the handle off.

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
883 Posts
I bought a Baumr AG 65cc chainsaw about 12 years ago of eBay from a seller Edisons. Started 3rd pull out of the box as per instructions, choke on 2 pulls and then 3rd pull start without choke. Comes with kick back safety. Used to live on half an acre in the VIC high country where I used it for 3 years chopping firewood all winter and also trail cleaning. Recently replaced the handle for $20 off eBay if I remember correctly. Amazed to still find spares for a Chinese saw more than 10 years old. Anyway, still works perfectly after many hours of work. You also get spare chains of the same brand as what they supply with the saw. Quality is good and for $18 each what I paid the last time, a bargain. Looks similar to my other brand name chains and last just as long.
Now for $179 and free shipping, you cannot beat that! At that price it's a consumable. If it last more than a year, it paid for itself. Yes, I will buy another one of the same brand if I ever need to.

I bought the older version of this saw.
Baumr-AG 62cc Petrol Commercial Chainsaw 20 Bar E-Start Pruning Chain Saw $179 free shipping
And if you really don't like to sharpen the chains, get 2 spare.
2 X 20" BAUMR-AG CHAINSAW CHAIN 20in Bar Replacement $47 free shipping

If you want a different size/cc for this brand, just search eBay "Baumr-AG"

I have some experience with the Aldi saws, not bad, but I needed to do a lot tuning to get it to idle and rev up smoothly. The Baumr-AG came setup from the factory and I never adjusted anything till today.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’d love to go full bogan and rip these things out with the Patrol but unfortunately, in Point Cook, the blocks are so small that you can barely squeeze a wheelbarrow between the house and the neighbour’s fence.

FFS if the block is that small run the winch rope between the house and the fence… go full bogan and impress the multicultural neighbours. 😂

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,088 Posts

Smart move!

They are just as effective with the right blade and a lot quieter too when it t comes to doing work that might usually draw neighbours attention with a petrol chainsaw.

For the amount of times you may use it I’d seriously look at a corded version for unlimited power and run time, unless you already have multiple batteries for your preferred brand. There’s nothing worse than running out of juice just as your getting to the end of the job.

Also look for a blade that has teeth on it like a bow saw as the teeth don’t clog up as much as normal wood cutting blades

41 - 60 of 81 Posts