·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Aaahh… I love Bunnings… :sneaky:
Plant Grass Groundcover Gas Tool

Plant Grass Wood Natural landscape Groundcover

Bought a couple of longer blades specifically for pruning. Worked perfectly fine and got the job done, although it drained all my batteries in the 45mins it took me to chop them all down. :ROFLMAO: I have 1x 2Ah, 1x 2.5Ah and 2x 5Ah batteries.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Smart move!

They are just as effective with the right blade and a lot quieter too when it t comes to doing work that might usually draw neighbours attention with a petrol chainsaw.

For the amount of times you may use it I’d seriously look at a corded version for unlimited power and run time, unless you already have multiple batteries for your preferred brand. There’s nothing worse than running out of juice just as your getting to the end of the job.

Also look for a blade that has teeth on it like a bow saw as the teeth don’t clog up as much as normal wood cutting blades

I got those exact same blades but the 12” ones. And I had just enough battery capacity to finish the job.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,088 Posts
I got those exact same blades but the 12” ones. And I had just enough battery capacity to finish the job.
Good! Word of advise though when using it for prolonged periods of cutting. Sometimes the blade may catch in whatever your cutting and bend. If this happens it is easy to bend back BUT do not touch it straight away as you will burn your fingers or thumb bending it back and your skin will blister real bad. Even as a carpenter who uses these regularly.....Ask me how I know 😔

If your unsure or don’t want to risk it use the claw of a hammer to bend it back or hammer it flat on a hard surface eg: concrete. You don’t even have to remove the blade.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Good! Word of advise though when using it for prolonged periods of cutting. Sometimes the blade may catch in whatever your cutting and bend. If this happens it is easy to bend back BUT do not touch it straight away as you will burn your fingers or thumb bending it back and your skin will blister real bad. Even as a carpenter who uses these regularly.....Ask me how I know 😔
Yip… Bent the blade a couple of times but see, I’m way ahead of you… I wore leather gardening gloves. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looking at the original post - the mission was 60mm to 120mm diameter stumps.
Crazy to use a chainsaw and kill the blade,
instead, sharpen a mattock nice and 4 to 8 of good hits either side will take them out sweet and quick.

We all love playing with chainsaws though .... any excuse really.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
I’d seriously look at a corded version for unlimited power and run time,
Since renovating a house I have bought more and more 240v tools. Honestly the slight inconvenience of an extension lead is worth the big power, no fuel/battery to run out, and the initial cost is peanuts compared to a lot of battery tools

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since renovating a house I have bought more and more 240v tools. Honestly the slight inconvenience of an extension lead is worth the big power, no fuel/battery to run out, and the initial cost is peanuts compared to a lot of battery tools
until you do a wrong turn with the 240v lawn mower or need to climb a tree with an extension cord.. seriously most cordless gear is on par with corded, and a lot safer in the not being electrocuted sense.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Looking at the original post - the mission was 60mm to 120mm diameter stumps.
Crazy to use a chainsaw and kill the blade,
instead, sharpen a mattock nice and 4 to 8 of good hits either side will take them out sweet and quick.

We all love playing with chainsaws though .... any excuse really.
Yeah the biggest one turned out to be more like 250mm. I’m glad I got the 12” blades.

I tried chopping one down with an axe, but that took me almost as long as doing all the others together and I still have to go tidy it up at some point.

My whole friggin body ached the next day after swinging that axe for almost an hour… No thx…

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,088 Posts
Reactions: Marko_SJ and Haggie

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,826 Posts
Fired up my little Stihl 011 yesterday,needed a bit of carby clean to awaken the beast,but brummm,brum bratttt BRATTT,yep show me a tree 🤬(y):D.
Hired a cherry picker for next week to clear a few high nuisance branches.🤞 🙃
Sore and grumpier today,spent yesterday cutting errant branches from overhanging site of new shed,neighbor's fence and ones I wanted down,most will be firewood.
Used the cherrypicker,extremely handy,but the slew action was a bit er scary,on reflection I probably had the hydraulic pump revving a bit high.Amazing how easy it is to hit a 2.6mm fence wire with a 30cm long piece of wood from 12m in the sky 💩 only broke one strand,but the electric fence [my neighbour said would be turned off -- not] survived so there will not be an invasion of goats,cattle and alpacas in the near future.🥩🍻😕 So I survived the venture,cherry pickers,rent one !!(y)

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts
Yep, you read right.

Only do it very rarely, so not worth getting a big husky to do the job.
What diameter log?

I am getting into the hobby as we have a lot of Cooktown Ironwood logs available.

I've only sawed one and a Bloodwood so far. Good fun but a steep steep learning curve as someone that wasn't really into saws (I reckon they're great now though!). A properly filed chain would be more important than E vs Petrol anyway.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The reciprocating saw would be better for your small stumps. You can get longer "demolition" blades that cut just about anything. I have the Ryobi 18v one and the Aldi version for the wife's gardening stuff.

Less ideal if you were thinking of something to also throw in the wagon to get firewood while camping.
I have the pruning blades for my Milwaukee. Geez it’s a vicious looking thing. I use it in the garden more than any where else.

I do have an old Puloun Pro. That thing sat for years and fired up no problems with some fresh fuel.
But now have an electric Makita chainsaw on a stick for garden use.

I will buy a makita chainsaw at some stage. Especially for camping. As no need to carry fuel. Just some bar oil.

One thing I have found with every saw I have used. None leak fuel. But they all leak bar oil. Which is a tacky sticky stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,431 Posts
One thing I have found with every saw I have used. None leak fuel. But they all leak bar oil. Which is a tacky sticky stuff.
When I was fencing, sump oil was used for bar oil, that was messy. We cut mostly green timber, it got really messy when the boring attachment was used. That had a very short chain and the same amount of oil was squirted on to it.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts