Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I currently have an MK SWB Patrol which i have had for a few years now and looking to upgrade to something newer, bigger and more family suited (SWB sucks for camping with 2 kids when u dont always want to tow a trailer)

Im after a LWB 4.2 TD, preferably with a few mods done already to save me doing it all. Preferably in white, and the more luxuary the better, and as low kms as possible.

Im hoping to set the car up for some pretty decent camping adventures and for just general messing around in the mud, so I need, long range fuel, water tanks, roller draws in the back, then the fun goodies like front and rear lockers (probably go some sort of auto locker in the front and an air locker in the rear), big muddies, suspension lift, rock sliders etc.

Questions:
Are all GQ`s coil sprung?
Are there any specific common problems i need to look for when shopping around?
What sort of money should i be looking to spend, im thinking somewhere around the 10k mark give or take 2k (Im thinking I should get something decent with a few mods for this sort of money)?
Im thinking of doing a 4"lift, appart from shocks and springs what other things need doing for this height? Ajustable pahnhard rod im guessing, anything else tho?
What sort of KM life span should i expect from this engine and driveline?
And why are the 4.2 TD engined GQ so hard to find? I been looking round for a little while and hardly ever see them, Is it because they are sought after or just not many made in this model?

All help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
12k should get you a very tidy gq 4.2 td. dont think you'll get lucky with lockers but
there are some leaf sprung utes but you dont have to worry about that if your after a wagon
4inch needs the Ajustable pahnhards, some sort of caster correction front and rear, drag link, prob longer brake lines, and longer swar bar conections if you want to run them.
if serviced every 5thou, you shouldnt have to worry to much about engine life span, it will keep goin and goin.
if you want carpet and electric windows go with the ST, i prefer the dx without carpet floors
you will find a nice one if your not in a hurry, they are out there but people hang on to them.
i recon the biggest thing to look for when buying a gq, is rust, and service history ie make sure its looked after.
oh and if you find one and you dont want to turbo it, best mod for a NA motor, extractors and snorkel

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
The only GQ's with leaf springs are some on the utes, LWB and SWB are all coils.
Some common problems- Rust in sliding window frames, rust around turret (normally the rear corners), Death wobbles (common to all patrols, not just GQ), worn door hinges, cracked floor pan.
I wouldn't go above 10k unless its got heaps of new accessories. You can find an unmodded late model GQ for under 4k and a 2.8 GU for under 8K so don't go wasting your money on the first truck you find.
4" lift you also need brake lines, some sort of caster correction, Adjustable panhards or modified stockies, these are the main things. There is also other junk like sway bar extensions, etc.
You could expect 500k-700k from a TD with an excellent service history. I've got 400k and the compression is still around the standard factory specs.
The TD's can be hard to fine because nobody wants to get rid of them.
Hope this helps...

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
There will be for and against depending on what youll get for what $$$
Which state your in can be a big factor in this
Pick a figure youll spend and go have a look at whats around,to see what ya get for ya $$$
The cheaper end GQs that are any good are snapped up in minutes
So you really need to do your homework,be cashed ready to pounce

Youre not alone in this adventure, everyone is chasin a low K well looked after diesel GQ
Hence the prices they are commanding
You mite be looking for while
Many are spending months and months looking

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Hey,
I currently have an MK SWB Patrol which i have had for a few years now and looking to upgrade to something newer, bigger and more family suited (SWB sucks for camping with 2 kids when u dont always want to tow a trailer)

Im after a LWB 4.2 TD, preferably with a few mods done already to save me doing it all. Preferably in white, and the more luxuary the better, and as low kms as possible.

Im hoping to set the car up for some pretty decent camping adventures and for just general messing around in the mud, so I need, long range fuel, water tanks, roller draws in the back, then the fun goodies like front and rear lockers (probably go some sort of auto locker in the front and an air locker in the rear), big muddies, suspension lift, rock sliders etc.

Questions:
What sort of money should i be looking to spend, im thinking somewhere around the 10k mark give or take 2k (Im thinking I should get something decent with a few mods for this sort of money)?
Im thinking of doing a 4"lift, appart from shocks and springs what other things need doing for this height? Ajustable pahnhard rod im guessing, anything else tho?
And why are the 4.2 TD engined GQ so hard to find? I been looking round for a little while and hardly ever see them, Is it because they are sought after or just not many made in this model?

All help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Agree, mostly, with the above. unfortunately, for any one wanting to buy one, up around the 12 mark, and above, is what they're commanding for a good one. You will have to be patient, and yet quick off the mark to get one, also be prepared to travel.

The reason they are hard to find, as stated, is folk that have a good one don't want to part with them, as there is no comparison in diesel, in a Patrol. If Nissan ever bring out a decent sized diesel this would change, but this doesn't look likely in the foreseeable future.

It would be good, IMHO, if you could keep your MK for a weekend warrior, or challenging off-road and keep your new wagon for touring/family. Then a mild lift, perhaps a front locker, and a turbo would be the go. Keep in mind new regulations regarding lift.

Agree too re the km life of the engine, provided service periods are adhered to. In fact 700k+ can be expected, and 1 million+ are happening. They are renowned for longevity. The drive-line is as good or better than comparatives.
Good luck.

patrol_maverick,
"You can find an unmodded late model GQ for under 4k"..... Where are they.... I want one, or three!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Again without goin into "Ya can get em cheap" debate
IT all depends on the year,condition,Ks ect
Ill bet my left and right one
That the 1996 GQ for 3.5 K wont be anywhere near as good as the
1997 GQ i have that i paid over 10K for !!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I guess it depends what you are buying it for. Theres no point wasting a mint condition truck if you plan on going bush. You would be best to save heaps of money and buy one that already has some dents and scratches. Then you could spend your savings on some accessories.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Questions:
No

www.gqpatrol.com

10k would want to be very very shiney.

No idea, this question has never been asked before

What is the service history on the car?

Most people dont engineer them and complain when they get nailed.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help everyone!

I got a couple more questions, what model is the patrol with RX on the side?
Alsp what years were the GQ released?
Does anyone know the legalities in turboing a 4.2 diesel? (in SA especially)
Whats the differences with the Jap imported GQ patrols (are these the Safari patrols)
Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts