Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone on this site known to be a true one eyed fan of the switzer turbo?

Has anyone seen a switzer on a comp truck?

If Denco DO IT, where did they do it ?:)

I was watching an auction on evilbay for a second hand td05 go for $265.00 wondering if I should bid.

Found out today that because of the age of my Switzer the Exhaust housing is to big, and the engine isn't actually capable of cranking it up etc and for $420 I could change it form the .6 to the .42. With the outcome being earlier and bigger boost.

Anyone running one by choice?

Cheers

Cheers Greg

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No takers......Hmmm........Okay........, yep, that the impression I got! ;)

Should have bid !

Perhaps switzer fanatics are tooo busy driving to be posting:) i'mTrying to be optomistic here.

Perhaps their just shy..... if thats the case just pm me

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You may as well be asking for briggs and stratton fanatics.
The schwitzer isnt exactly high tech but it does the job.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Has anyone seen a switzer on a comp truck?
I missed that bit... Yes. I had one on a comp truck when I bought it.
Very ordinary, My tow car was quicker but admittedly was on gas too.
so I took it off and put a DTS kit on with a stage 3 turbo and a decent fuel pump.
goes allright now.

Schwitzer / Borg-warner are a good solid reliable basic turbo and will go foever if you look after them. But if you're trying to generate a lot of boost they have trouble.

Dont knock the bush turbo. Done right they are fine. I'll take you for a spin if you're in Perth sometime Jet6. Ever had your car lean over inwards on a right hander before?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I put one of these on without doing any research before buying only to find out its only slightly better than stock. Its only been on a month and now i am wondering if its possible to make the Schwitzer work better or blow more money on a better turbo.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the .42 housing is on its way, so it'll be interesting to see what difference that will make.

Googled switzer and found some interesting sites, switzer performance, with 1000hp kits for cars etc but not for lawnmowers ! ;)

Goona fit the new exhaust housing myself which I'm looking forward too, never pulled a turbo apart.

Whilst I'm waiting for my HB intercooler to be built I can see if anyone does a stage 3 Switzer mod

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Hi Fishmagnet

Keep the updates coming i am interested to see the end result. I would also like to know what mods are available for this turbo stage 2/3 etc. I am more touring than comp truck though.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow , paid for the .42 exhaust housing yestday, got it from Denco in Wagga, and it turned up today in Loxton 800k's away! Can't get better than that for service!

If only Australia Post would stop using slow camels out here in the country.;)

Unfortunatly due to the dyno being 300kms away , i wouldnt doing a before and after, would have been interesting to see though.

The original .60 was stopped being supplied in the standard kit probably fifteen years ago.

So if I just wanted to go touring or doing a lap of Aus then the kit supplied nowadays would have a .5 exhaust housing.

But when u ring up and let slip that she getting intercooled and ask how much to go to a 12mm piston and head fitted to the injection pump as well a a boost compensator . Then it pretty obvious I'm chasing a few extra ponies, so the .42 exhaust housing what I'm after.

I have to take the turbo off to remove the exhaust housing as it would have bonded on after all this time, a bit of heat and a controlled tap will be needed . SO should have it on by the week end.

At this stage I'm not going to worry about getting a bigger compressor wheel fitted or high flowing as I don;t want to drive it like a two stroke mc on full noise.

Cheers Greg

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
without being a massive turbo nut, but a .42 rear housing seems MASSIVELY to small. unless im missing something. but id be worried about big back pressure on the exhaust side also creating alot of heat in exhaust manifolds and the like.
but again i could be wrong.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes. I had one on a comp truck when I bought it.
Very ordinary, My tow car was quicker but admittedly was on gas too.
so I took it off and put a DTS kit on with a stage 3 turbo and a decent fuel pump.
goes allright now.
Geeze Mike, that makes me feel good that I brought it off you....
Still havn't managed to get it on yet....

Ush

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G'day , well with the original .62 exhaust housing, i never got the impression of any boost coming on in first , and the boost gauge backed that up, the needle never moved. Hte boost did come on but way later in the rev range and bigger gears.

The .42 housing has totally transformed it, the boost is immeadiate , like a direct corelation between pedal and sweeeeeeet acceleration. :D Sounds nice too!

I can imagine that if I hadn't changed the exhaut housing, that if I had taken it to somone with a dyno they could of had it performing better than it was. I doubt that it would have come close to where its at now.

WIsh i had easy access ot a dyno , and then I do a very factual before and after. So i'll just have to describe what happened.
After completing the installation , I reversed out of the shed into the gravel carpark, put her in first, let out the clutch and gave it a little bit of loud pedal and to my suprise the turbos straight on the boost, there this lovely whilst from the turbo, the revs are building, theboost needles moving( never done that in first before) and the wheels are spinning and I couldn't belive the difference. The SMILE -ometer was maxed out!

For for the $440.00 outlay the improvement is beyond expectation. So now its on to improving the rest of the system, the air intake/filtration, the hb intercooler in Febuary, and then the fuel pump with boost compensator and 12mm piston.

So for the record I am officially a SCHWITZER fan.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
isnt the best thing about the schwitzer turbos the whistle on boost, and the big (almost BOV) noise after boost..
could be tripping but my mates TD runnin schwitzer sounds pretty dam good.
think he runns about 10 psi

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
isnt the best thing about the schwitzer turbos the whistle on boost, and the big (almost BOV) noise after boost..
could be tripping but my mates TD runnin schwitzer sounds pretty dam good.
think he runns about 10 psi
Your not wrong, a couple of hours after finishing the install, the family and I were driving to a club for diner, and my son,15, who had helped me do the change over was in the front passenger seat with his head against the window with his eyes shut . Thinking that perhaps he was tired or something I asked him what was wrong?

He goes , nothing Dad, i'm just listening to the turbo!:D

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Towed large tandem trailer 500km yesterday half of that into a huge headwind. gotta say i'm really rapt with the improvement.

Now i cant wait for the ic , and setting up the fuel and boost.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Hi mate

At what revs does your boost come on and when does it run out puff. Mine comes on pretty quickly but it all over around 3thou i wish i had just a touch more up top.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You may as well be asking for briggs and stratton fanatics.
The schwitzer isnt exactly high tech but it does the job.
Hey who is knocking Briggs and Stratton!!!!!

I have a relo and a mate who are both mowing business owners and they both pull out the B&S when they have lawns that are over 4 inches high because the Hondas just don't have the grunt. Honda make great mowers, only for manicured lawns though.

Plus my two I/C commercial, John Deere and Stihl units are both 10 year plus, still running a charm.

Back to normal viewing;):D

Oh and in keeping with the thread, I have a Denco unit on my TD42.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts