Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you're all keeping well...

Finally starting to pull my finger out and and sort out a reversing camera for the ol GU - between the tinted windows and the tea light reverse light, I've nearly collected the carport post, the mailbox, and the power pole at the end of the lane one too many times. I've not got a lot of confidence in the kits on offer though, and poking through a few reviews it seems most are unimpressive.

In fact I was in Jaycar today, and they had a couple set up - the displays were pretty poor, even with the in-store lighting.

I had a search of the forum and there's not a lot of recent material, so I'm reluctantly putting this out there. I'd like a reasonably high definition camera (learned my lesson buying a cheap low-res inspection camera... d'oh), probably prefer to wire it in to avoid wireless gremlins and interference - and ideally dual inputs on the display (having an idea of a forward facing one to make trackwork easier (also a last check for kids at camp before setting off)).

Are there any not-rubbish options out there?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
I've done something similar, I've replaced the OEM radion with 6" touch screen unit and got 2x cameras as well for it as it has dual camera input, one for reverse and one for front.

It all sounded great on paper but finished result was not that great.

It could possibly had something to do with cameras locations and quality as well as me being old enough now not be seeing things that well at close up range meaning I'd have to put reading glases on to see anything on that display properly I suppose.

Anyway In dash navigation systems , I got everything from them thinking all integrated solutions is the best way, Big mistake IMHO. I was actually disappointed with it.

Regards

Note: As ever my luck, nothing went smoothly with that mob or indeed any other I choose products from, lying about availability to endless excuses about delays and dodgy sales tactics where they advertise a price and when you click on it it changes up without explanation. I still need DAB adapter but I'm not paying that much for it. I also noted that the increase in price is almost $350 what I paid for it......

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,024 Posts
Yeah I replaced the stereo on the GQ with a 7" touch screen unit and installed a reversing camera as an accessory. Works great, don't know how I ever reversed safely without it.

·
Registered
2005 Patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - GU has some kind of single DIN head unit, and I like popping my wallet in the space below... so cos of that AND cos I don’t trust all in one gizmos to not bugger up, I think I’m gonna stick a screen with a glare shield on the dash.
Also figured out that the jaycar demo unit looked awful cos it was pointed straight at a ceiling fluoro. Moved it and it looked ok.

Next thing is where to mount the rear camera - hanging four bikes on a rack out the back so need to find a place to peek around em. Maybe high mounted on the soon to come platform rack, or a low mount just above the tow ball.

Then lights... need lights too.

Funny, had the car for years and only now getting frustrated enough to splash the cash!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,174 Posts
Lights.

Lights and camera.

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
396 Posts
Best thing I ever did for reversing was a pair of cheap 6" LED work lights mounted on the roof rack, hooked up to the "tealight" factory reverse lamp. At last I could see!

·
Registered
2013 GU Patrol Single Cab
18 Posts
My Patrol had a ARB Rear Vision Mirror Reversing Monitor System when I got it. The system is not bad, it is a 2 Channels system, but only has the 1 camera mounted high on the canopy.

The camera had a white spot in the middle of the view when I got the car, I thought I may had been able to clean the lens and remove the spot . . . yea NO, I accidentally broke the camera trying to remove the lens to remove the white spot.

ARB wanted $150 for another Camera, so trip down to my Electrical Hobby Store (Jaycar). . ended up buying a $20 Camera and wired it into the original ARB wiring loom . . . has worked fine since.

One day, I will get around to installing the 2nd Camera just above the Tow Bar Hitch to allow ease in reversing up to hitch up my trailer and camper.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
This is what i have in the Gq.

It runs with the camera on full time as i can't see past my draw system when driving. The quality of video is very good both front and rear. Its the only one that uses the whole mirror as a screen which is why i got it. I removed the old mirror, pulled the ball joint off of it and mounted this unit rather than fixing it to the old mirror.

I'm super happy with it, no blind spots anymore either.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
I have a Sony double din headunit that came with the car when I bought it used.

I've added a reverse camera. Works great. Comes on automatically when reverse gear is selected. I personally wouldn't want any extra screens or clutter around the place. My camera is mounted right next to the rear barn door handle. Can just see the tip of the tow ball which works well. I do like the idea of mounting the camera up high on the roof rack though

It's great during the day, but pretty grainy at night. I've picked up some Stedi LED Reverse bulbs but have yet to install them. 1000 lumens should help ;)

·
Registered
2005 Patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...that picture looks like the end of my driveway.... Nice; how's the lateral spread? Your camera location is where I'm leaning to as well.

work lights mounted on the roof rack
Should go get that rack sorted... :)

Rigid Ignite backup lights
Nice, thanks for the suggestion!

My Patrol had a ARB Rear Vision Mirror Reversing Monitor System when I got it. The system is not bad, it is a 2 Channels system, but only has the 1 camera mounted high on the canopy.

The camera had a white spot in the middle of the view when I got the car, I thought I may had been able to clean the lens and remove the spot . . . yea NO, I accidentally broke the camera trying to remove the lens to remove the white spot.

ARB wanted $150 for another Camera, so trip down to my Electrical Hobby Store (Jaycar). . ended up buying a $20 Camera and wired it into the original ARB wiring loom . . . has worked fine since.

One day, I will get around to installing the 2nd Camera just above the Tow Bar Hitch to allow ease in reversing up to hitch up my trailer and camper.
Excellent - off topic but related, one of the glass covers on the Genuine ARB fog/driving lights in the Genuine ARB bull bar broke. Can I replace just that? Nope, need to buy TWO of the stupid things. Nah, and the light still works!
uses the whole mirror as a screen
Was thinking about this but still need to keep an eye on the kidlets with the rearview... cheeky beasts. Get it from their mum no doubt!

up some Stedi LED Reverse bulbs but have yet to install them
I've heard good things about Stedi... and the door handle was an idea, but half the time i'm just gonna see a forest of bicycles...

Thanks heaps for the comments, folks - really appreciated. And this quoting mechanism is pretty alright too, I think!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,174 Posts
that picture looks like the end of my driveway.... Nice; how's the lateral spread? Your camera location is where I'm leaning to as well.
I put the lights in the wrong way, they’ve been Sikka’d in so can’t be bothered to turn them. They light up behind me superbly and the camera picture is clear.

Reactions: krames
1 - 12 of 12 Posts