Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have noticed that when i drive my 4.8 in cool weather it has a dramatic loss of power.
runs fine all day in the heat but in the early morning or when it rains the motor won't rev past about 2 grand and has stuff all power.
has anyone had this problem or knows what it is?
cheers

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
Mine is the same, I'm sure I can feel more power when its cold. Its not a wet filter or something caused by the rain?

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
early mornings and wet weather is when it plays up. out on the highway it takes about 30 seconds to get up too 100k. I have cleaned the air filter and cleaned the throttle body but no change. Is there any chance of it being a faulty MAF or an 02 sensor.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
Not sure what feedback your going to get but I am certainly interested because this goes against the grain of what usually happens. Cool, moist atmospheric conditions bring out the best in a motor, particularly with petrol, in my experience anyway.

Look forward to feedback.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Not sure what feedback your going to get but I am certainly interested because this goes against the grain of what usually happens. Cool, moist atmospheric conditions bring out the best in a motor, particularly with petrol, in my experience anyway.

Look forward to feedback.
x eleventy.

Are you getting any error codes?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
It's the traction control fighting the engine when it wants to spin the wheels!

Seriously though, this does seem very wierd!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
It's the traction control fighting the engine when it wants to spin the wheels!

Seriously though, this does seem very wierd!
You made me think of something that happened just the other day, sorry for small hijack, raining and with new exhaust and freshly tuned Dawes to suit, I turned into the horrible roundabout near home, half way through I started to accelerate to the exit when bugger me the tail flicked out, this has never, never ever, ever happened on my ZD30 before, woo hoo.

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
The only thing that comes to my small mind, is perhaps that you could have moisture/water trapped in the crank angle sensor/dissy or other sensor/area, when conditions are hot, this moisture is a vapour, then when cold and or raining, the water vapour condenses to a liquid, and causes electrical problems ? :confused:

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i just spent three hours working on it today. cleaned out the air filter and all the pipes, cleaned the MAF and cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs and reset the computer. took it for a drive tonight and bugger me. still playing up. well i am all out of ideas.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks that sounds similar but slightly different.
i will check the thermostat. i might just have to put it on a diagnostic machine

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,750 Posts
Sounds like a fuel air mixture problem and maybe retarding itself. Just a thought!:neutral:

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what if i ran the on board diagnostic system. would that possibly give an indication of where the problem is coming from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts