1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day

After some advice.

About three weeks ago while driving up the beach as soon as i hit the soft sand the car would shutter and make a loud bang noise in the front end and it would feel like the front end was not being driven in 4H.

Then it would work fine for a bit and then BANG again with the same result over and over until i put it into 2WD.

The strang thing is i recently went 4wding in the mud and she did not play up once.

Now, this morning i tried to get the truck out of the yard "Really boggy" and put her into 4wd L and H due to stop her getting stuck in 2wd. I then noticed that the front wheels were not turning and it took about 5 mins of back and forwards for it to kick in???

Then after returning home and putting her into 4wd mode she made the bang noise again when it got to the boggy stuff but the 4wd system was working...

I have pulled apart the hubs thinking that would be the problem but they seem 100%...

Could this be a transfer case problem?

Any advice would be great.

Oh and the bang is nasty too, its that bad you can feel it in the floor.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the noise is coming from the front, and by the discription of the sound and what it's doing, I'll put a beer on a smashed pinion gear and probably crown wheel.

Was thinking that but recently did a service and the oil was spot on?

If it had damage that bad wouldnt it be in the drained oil, even the magnet had no flaking on it?

Thanks for the input though:D

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
no because they dont usually chip an **** usually chain just stretches and then jumps teeth. i have had a few of these do this and no sign of it in oil or on plug. how ever front diff is a poss also as frosty mentioned bit hard to diagnose with out hearing it but im more inclined to say transfer.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers, i might pull the transfer out tomorrow and have a look see.

Time to break out the workshop manual me thinks.

If it is a chain would i see if it is stretched and is it worthwhile just replacing it?

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
well providing it is a patrol it will be chain lol but yes u should beable to see it stretched

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
cheers, i might pull the transfer out tomorrow and have a look see.

Time to break out the workshop manual me thinks.

If it is a chain would i see if it is stretched and is it worthwhile just replacing it?

I'de be jacking it up first and spinning a few wheels for a feel and listen before I'de be pulling the boxes out??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers for the advice, yeah will jack it up but the last time i had the issue i jacked it up, checked everything and found nothing strange.

Thats why i drained the diff, gearbox and transfer case oil out and found nothing. Also checked out the hubs but they were fine apart from needing another re grease.

So im thinking it is something internal :(

Thanks again for the input.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Busted cv or front axle? Or stoofed bearings in the front diff.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
mate I had the same sort of noise and bang (feel it through the hole car)
found out while driving up the beach on Fraser (on fraser for half a hour of a week and a half holiday), would do it ever couple of kms, 2wd and 4wd, it would do it in both but unlock both hubs it goes away lock 1 back in comes back
I had a complete front diff in my garage at home, so when I got home through that in and havent had a problem since.....
I would be pull your front centre out

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
found out while driving up the beach on Fraser (on fraser for half a hour of a week and a half holiday), would do it ever couple of kms, 2wd and 4wd, it would do it in both but unlock both hubs it goes away lock 1 back in comes back
I had a complete front diff in my garage at home, so when I got home through that in and havent had a problem since.....
x2 . I had auto hubs on gq ages ago and it would just let go and then click back in. easiest quikest option is to swap hubs with a mates truck and try that. if you are running auto hubs there is a left and right side as well, dont know how to tell though. my bet would be hubs first then centre. also check the front pinion bearing hasnt collapsed as that would allow the pinion to slip in and out and jump teeth internally. good luck.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers for that guys, didnt get a chance to pull her down today but have it on the must do for tomorrow.

She runs the manual hubs up front and when i pulled them appart last week they seemed to have no damage at all, no strange wear, mettle shards ect but did need a re grease. The locking mechanism also seems nice and smooth with no issues locking and unlocking.

Maybe it is the front diff pinion bearing, this sounds very possible. But if this went wouldnt it be leaking oil all over the diff?

Had this in a truck before and she pissed out the oil and coated the underbody of the truck while the shaft was spinning.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was it fine until she got load on the front when you hit the soft sand and dug in?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You didn't pack the free wheeling hub with grease did you? I.e. heaps that could hydraulic lock it? It's only spring loaded and too much grease can cause it to not lock in, but that bang you describe sounds more harsh than hubs not locking.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i had an identical problem in my GQ.

I was told all sorts of possible causes, i changed the transfer case, hubs, pulled out the front diff and checked it, replaced bearings etc.

all up spent well over $1500 to find out it was a $5 fix !!!

i had a front wheel bearing collapse while away, mechanic replaced the hub and all etc.

Turns out he didnt put back in the spacer ring that sits behind the bush that the drive gear sits on, and the hub was jumping off the spline, as it wasnt sitting out far enough.

Pretty much looks like an egg ring. If you have had work done on the front end, make sure that this was put back in. Tell tale sign is that the bushing should sit out a little bit from the hub, not flush into it.

Check the simple things first before changing the transfer, its a ***** of a job, and most likely isnt the cause anyway.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Was it fine until she got load on the front when you hit the soft sand and dug in?
first noticed it after hitting a bump on the beach, like when all the wait goes on the front, front springs compress right up (fully loaded for 1.5 weeks camping, even had a pool table ;) )
but the more it happened the more often it would happen ect. and even on flat beach and that
I did pull both locking hubs off and check them while at camp both seemed to be working fine and that
and no there wasn't any oil leaking or anything like that

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had an identical problem in my GQ.

I was told all sorts of possible causes, i changed the transfer case, hubs, pulled out the front diff and checked it, replaced bearings etc.

all up spent well over $1500 to find out it was a $5 fix !!!

i had a front wheel bearing collapse while away, mechanic replaced the hub and all etc.

Turns out he didnt put back in the spacer ring that sits behind the bush that the drive gear sits on, and the hub was jumping off the spline, as it wasnt sitting out far enough.

Pretty much looks like an egg ring. If you have had work done on the front end, make sure that this was put back in. Tell tale sign is that the bushing should sit out a little bit from the hub, not flush into it.

Check the simple things first before changing the transfer, its a ***** of a job, and most likely isnt the cause anyway.

cheers
+1 without all the expense first. I just happened to fluke it when I changed diff ratios and found the piece missing. The next time on the sand, no more bangs. The noises that are described in the OP are exactly the same as mine were and it was happening on dead flat soft sand.

·
Premium Member
nissan
142 Posts
Mine was the same problem, was the front diff centre

Tim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts