Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short the Low Oil Pressure light stays on for about 3 seconds when I'm running on Gas. On Petrol is stays on for half a second odd. The Oil Gauge on the dash is always showing the oil is good even when the low pressure light is on. Should I be worried? Only does it for the first start of the day/when it's been left awhile.

TB42 with 277,000k's. Oil seems to be new, only got the Car a few months ago so hoping it's nothing Major. ><. Some Valvoline XLD Premium 20w-50 was left in the back of the Car so I'm guessing that's what it's running.
Any help would be great, cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing here also. Goes away after 2 secs and is normal oil pressure. Watching your thread with interest.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
It's completely normal. Over night the oil drop from the galleries and the pickup. When you start in the morning it takes a few seconds for the oil to make it up the pickup, through the pump, through the filter (especially if it not anti-drain back) and then into the oil pressure switch to turn the light off. It happens for a second longer on gas because when starting on gas there is no choke or cold start program which idles up the engine to about 2K rpm on initial startup moving the oil through the system faster. If you want to test this out try starting on gas and holding the revs at about 2k straight away.

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're spot on, starting it with a few revs on Gas and it disappears almost instantly. On Petrol with some revs and the light pretty much flashes. Big thanks, cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
if you want to "fix it" install an accusump or a pre-oiler (one way primer from sump to rocker cover)

kind of overkill though unless you have a worked engine. I used to have an accusump on a lumpy gassed 351. I had a split distrib rail to spray the rocker assembly on start up.

worked a treat :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts