Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm attempting to replace the clutch on my own on my 1989 GQ Patrol TD42. I've got an engine hoist, so hopefully all good there.

Got 2 questions :

1/ how do I remove the Transfer case gear lever (doesn't seem to be the same as others I've seen on the internet), SEE PHOTO and -

2/ How do I unbolt the engine to gearbox brace on the Right hand side? All I see are 2 bolts sideways into the block, can't seem to see where the bolts are to the gearbox itself?

Thanks guys for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Take out those two bolts on that plate that goes across the pivot point, then the whole assembly should slide off the shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts
Hi, I'm attempting to replace the clutch on my own on my 1989 GQ Patrol TD42. I've got an engine hoist, so hopefully all good there.

Got 2 questions :

1/ how do I remove the Transfer case gear lever (doesn't seem to be the same as others I've seen on the internet), SEE PHOTO and -

2/ How do I unbolt the engine to gearbox brace on the Right hand side? All I see are 2 bolts sideways into the block, can't seem to see where the bolts are to the gearbox itself?

Thanks guys for any help you can offer. View attachment 528676
On your own,its much easier to remove the engine,I have done it both ways,and engine out is the way to go.To separate the trans from the engine it has to be rotated about 80deg anticlockwise and the weight [ without the transfer case ] is dangerous.

·
Registered
Nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take out those two bolts on that plate that goes across the pivot point, then the whole assembly should slide off the shaft.

Thanks but yeah, tried that. For some reason it really didn't want to budge even when using levers, was afraid I was going to break something

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts

Got 2 questions :

Thanks guys for any help you can offer. View attachment 528676
If you are determined to pull the box,you need to remove the transfer case to lighten the combination { by about 70kg} and the stick stays in place on the transfer case as it comes out.
I will watch for you in the Obits

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Thanks but yeah, tried that. For some reason it really didn't want to budge even when using levers, was afraid I was going to break something
Pretty sure that’s how mine came off. It’s been a while since I did mine, but I don’t remember having any problems with it.
Maybe get a look at an exploded diagram of the gearbox, you might be able to identify a locking bolt or some such thing that you’ve missed.

·
Registered
GQ Wagon TB42S
232 Posts
I'd definitely pull the engine out to change the clutch - way easier than the gearbox.

But what @andrew64 said is correct, although you may also need to pull the cotter pin out of one of the lower shifter arms to get the whole assembly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts