Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, trying to install my lower hd control arms today but couldnt get the bolt undone on the chasis end of the lower control arms. has anyone had this problem before and if so how did you manage to undo the sucker? i had over 1m of extension bars on it and couldnt get it undone, rattle gun couldnt do it and then resorted to using a breaker bar on it and using a car jack to move the handle up using the trolls weight to push against and still no luck...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Try any of the following;

Break Away, an aerosol spray that does wonders on stubborn nuts and bolts. Can be hard to find and a little pricey but worth it weight in gold.

Oxy torch, heat that sucker up and it should loosen it right up... maybe.

Then there is 'CRC Ice' spray, work the same but opposite to the heating method.

Short of that just keep swearing at it or as a last resort carefully grind the nut or head off the bolt maybe...

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this breaker bar would have easily had over 1 tonne on it with the jack pushing agaisnt the bar! this **** aint going anywhere :( the crc ice spray shouldnt work based on simple physics. cooling something makes it contract therefore makes the nut tighter... but il give it a go coz iv got some sitting beside me :)

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Try the ice on the bolt only, so it contracts inside the nut. I know it's not going to be much, but by the sounds of it anything is worth a try.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Can't recall what the bolt size is in your application, but when things have gotten desperate I've always found drilling the centre of the bolt out to be a surefire way to remove any bolt.

Recently, I've had 10,000 PSI of hydraulic wrench on an M64 bolt, the reaction arm of the wrench was cleanly lifting a 11 tonne dead weight above it, and this is after sledge hammering and repeat hits with oxy - still 0 movement. Drilled the centre of the bolt out with a ~one inch bit and it came off with a rattlegun. Just an example from my recent experience.

Particularly good as unlike grinding, oxy cutting and hammering its a bit less likely to cause damage to surrounding parts which may be fragile.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
I just went through the same ordeal with my lowers. Ended taking it to my local mech and he rattle gunned it off.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Shock is the way I do stuff, now I don'r mean shouting BOO at it, get a nice big drift or punch and put it on the flat of the nut and hit with a hammer, if you can get to more than one flat then thats good.

Do that a few times and then swing on it again, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
shock load should get em. but really need a hoist so you can get a good swing at it. when i bent mine i had a 3/4 breaker bar and a metre of pipe on the end of that to break em. my god they were tight.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
shock load should get em. but really need a hoist so you can get a good swing at it. when i bent mine i had a 3/4 breaker bar and a metre of pipe on the end of that to break em. my god they were tight.
I had my 1/2 inch ratchet and a tube on mine, but then I do that kind of thing all day so I had no drama's.

·
Registered
nissan patrol ute gq
235 Posts
if all else fails use the gas axe to cut it off ;) i had to use it the other day for my radius arm bolts haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts