Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in some real numbers of those that have done this conversion. Some comments on another thread (2.8 blown, sorry to hear mate) that it would be just as cheap to swap in the v8 with quotes of 7.5k etc. I have had abit of search and can't find much so was hoping someone may have some further details.

A look on Marks adaptors has me adding up about 7800 worth of kit just to do the conversion on the TB45, then you need the engine! If i new I could get away with for 10 or less it would be most likely a green light for me to get it done.

Appreciate anyones imput on the 'actual' cost or has info that i may not know about.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
You wont get an actual 100% figure even if you went to some mechanic and asked More variables than you can throw a stick at.

Are you doing it all yourself?
Are you getting some done and some by your self? What rate are the charging for what your not doing.
Are you getting it all done by someone else? What rate are the charging?
- Are you supplying *some* yourself?
- Are you supplying *most* yourself?
- Are you supplying *all* yourself?

Reco engine?
New crate engine?
1/2 cut?
Wiring? yourself - auto sparky?
Engineer charges in your area?

As you have seen, costs vary greatly, but I wouldnt expect any change from 10k drive in drive out engineered with a new donk. I have seen threads where people *say* they can do it all day for <$5k, but I think they are rubbing their pee pee too long and way too hard.

Sorry if it aint what you wanted to hear.

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
Work out what you think it will cost you and then expect to pay alot more as I garuntee the budget will blow out, it always does.
You will probably account for the major stuff like conversion kit, running gear, exhaust & wiring BUT you will find it is the ton of little things that you didn't account for that actually jacks up the costs. Things like new vacume hoses, heater hoses, radiator hoses, clamps, EFI lines, new fluids, may as well do plugs & leads while your there too. Sump/pickup/dipstick/gasket to suit rear bowl configuration + the 101 other things that slip your memory OR that you may as well upgrade while your fixing *add component here* anyway...

5k for an LS1 conversion....TRIPPING - No chance in hell!!!
I spent approx $2000 alone just on crap that I didn't account for when doing my 5-litre conversion.
I got my complete running gear & conversion kit for next to nothing and still managed to spend several thousand ($1000 on a single exhaust system alone). I reckon $10,000+ as a start for an LS1 conversion considering atleast $5000 of that would be spent on purchasing an engine/ECU/Wiring loom & the price of Marks kits arn't cheap...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
A cheaper option would be an injected 5.0L from a VN-VS wrecked commodore, ive seen alot of these motors go into GQ's/GU's, An Ls1 with low kms and all the running gear is still fairly expensive to pick up as far as i know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Work out what you think it will cost you and then expect to pay alot more as I garuntee the budget will blow out, it always does.
You will probably account for the major stuff like conversion kit, running gear, exhaust & wiring BUT you will find it is the ton of little things that you didn't account for that actually jacks up the costs. Things like new vacume hoses, heater hoses, radiator hoses, clamps, EFI lines, new fluids, may as well do plugs & leads while your there too. Sump/pickup/dipstick/gasket to suit rear bowl configuration + the 101 other things that slip your memory OR that you may as well upgrade while your fixing *add component here* anyway...

5k for an LS1 conversion....TRIPPING - No chance in hell!!!
I spent approx $2000 alone just on crap that I didn't account for when doing my 5-litre conversion.
I got my complete running gear & conversion kit for next to nothing and still managed to spend several thousand ($1000 on a single exhaust system alone). I reckon $10,000+ as a start for an LS1 conversion considering atleast $5000 of that would be spent on purchasing an engine/ECU/Wiring loom & the price of Marks kits arn't cheap...
So true. What you think you can do it for, double it, and you will get change! I spent 50% more than I thought was necessary on my duramax, so 50% of that conversion is a lot!

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
A cheaper option would be an injected 5.0L from a VN-VS wrecked commodore, ive seen alot of these motors go into GQ's/GU's, An Ls1 with low kms and all the running gear is still fairly expensive to pick up as far as i know.
I doubt that putting in a 5.0L would be significantly cheaper. More people have put LS1s in a GU than 5.0L. There are more aftermarket parts for the conversion and I would gladly pay an extra grand for an engine alone that is more fuel efficient and powerful.

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
5-litre is a *****box.
In all honesty I reckon the TB42 was a better engine (maybe mine was a freak lol).
The only reason I did my conversion was how cheap I got the parts for + I planned to turbo the heap anyway...

ETA: OK I might exagerate a little...It isn't too bad but I expected more from it. IMO unless you go a 355/383 stroker, turbo/supercharger, or you get everything hell cheap, I wouldn't bother going 304 and go straight for a 351 cleveland with 302 closed chamber heads LOL...

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You wont get an actual 100% figure even if you went to some mechanic and asked More variables than you can throw a stick at.

Are you doing it all yourself?
Are you getting some done and some by your self? What rate are the charging for what your not doing.
Are you getting it all done by someone else? What rate are the charging?
- Are you supplying *some* yourself?
- Are you supplying *most* yourself?
- Are you supplying *all* yourself?

Reco engine?
New crate engine?
1/2 cut?
Wiring? yourself - auto sparky?
Engineer charges in your area?

As you have seen, costs vary greatly, but I wouldnt expect any change from 10k drive in drive out engineered with a new donk. I have seen threads where people *say* they can do it all day for <$5k, but I think they are rubbing their pee pee too long and way too hard.

Sorry if it aint what you wanted to hear.
Thanks Truckster, all good points. I guess I would do what I can myself which I think would be a fair percentage of ripping the old one out and getting the new one in. Auto lecky would have to do the wiring. If I could drive in and out for 10 grand i would be happy with that but looking at all the variables which have been suggested it sounds unlikely.

As for the TB42, i guess the fuel consumption of these engines is what turns me off. Though I have only spoken to one guy with the LS1 conversion, it seems he is getting around 15l/100 and he reckons he is a lead foot. Would be interesting to know what others are getting as I am (and the wife) a fairly conservative driver/s.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i would be very surprirsed if someone could get 15l/100 fuel consumption out of an ls1 conversion. my boss in his holden adventura gets an average of 18l + per 100...

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
A few issues to note
Truckster has pritty much summed it up
There are a few on this forum that have done 5L injected conversions themself and fairly cheaply
There are even a few that have converted early MQ MKs with chevs on the cheap
To do it on the cheap well,what can ya do,who you know and what can ya get on the cheap does help
Mate just got a quote to convert a HQ 1 tonner to an injected 5l ,drive in drive out all aprooved for 3.5 K (Thats everything)
So surely it wouldnt be 6.5K dearer for a 4x4 ???
Goin a 351 well that would pose an issue as the engine would have to comply with emmission requirements for the vehicle being modded

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
vanbox said:
What you think you can do it for, double it, and you may get change!
I think this should be an automatic answer the forum returns when someone asks this question daily... Its probably 100% accurate.

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
I got a quote for an ls1 conversion about 15 months ago of Killa Kustom Kables (the same bloke who wires up the duramaxes for Heath) and drive in drive out was going to be 14 or 15 grand so I think you would possibly be able to get it in there for a bit over 10 grand if u did all the work your self.

x2 on the above always expect more than you think, it all adds up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
nissan gq
42 Posts
My conversion so far has cost me well under 5g but thats because i made all the parts myself, bellhousing,flywheel,mounts,pipes etc. wired it myself and got a motor cheap. after engineering it will cost me a little over 5 but everyone saying its a 10g conversion are dreamers.

·
Registered
nissan
132 Posts
heya spence.. iv just finished putting a 350 chev in my mate matts gu patrol last weekend.. its cost him over 6 as it is at the moment, thats with marks adaptor kit, crate engine, new carb, manifold, dizzy, leads, srtarter exhaust, clutch etc etc.. thats with us doing it like u would, in ur back yard.. it definatly added up real quickley..

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
It's costs over 10k to put them in early commodores ,closer to 15k ,so it's going to cost that and some for a patrol, I've had 3 ls1 cars and a ls2 and with a tune you can get very good fuel economy but a commodore is a lot lighter then a patrol ,seriously dont think you'd get under 20l per 100ks round town and that's taking things real easy ,

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
I rang up marks adaptors and for everything except the exhaust and accelrator pedal it was $17000 for a 5.7 brand new and $20000 for a 6litre this came with wiring harness and everything to fit up to a auto box. This was supplied only needless to say I couldn't believe it and I won't be doing it I kind of felt the salesman just pulled figures out of the sky being a rounded up number. I read more then once that it is cheaper to do a v8 conversion when your zd30 blows but I can't see how when you can get a zd30 new for $7450 or $4400 for a reco

·
Registered
nissan gq
42 Posts
my VP SS conversion cost me $8000 all up and that included,mounts,radiator,cam package,nitrous,tune,motor,trans and fuel system. then i put it all in a hj ute and it didnt cost me a thing.

my patrol conversion all up will be under 5g. i am making everything from adaptor to the extension shaft as i work on cnc machines and can do splining and metal work myself. if you do your research and handy with tools you to can do it for under 5g. no need to buy a brand new motor. the LS motors are fantastic out the box. mine gets 250hp shot of gas put thru it and 8000 rpm limiter on the burnout pad in my ute and has been going like that for 3 years straight with 3 oil changes. you have to remember there all forged as standard and have 6 bolt mains.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
A few issues to note
Truckster has pritty much summed it up
There are a few on this forum that have done 5L injected conversions themself and fairly cheaply
There are even a few that have converted early MQ MKs with chevs on the cheap
To do it on the cheap well,what can ya do,who you know and what can ya get on the cheap does help
Mate just got a quote to convert a HQ 1 tonner to an injected 5l ,drive in drive out all aprooved for 3.5 K (Thats everything)
So surely it wouldnt be 6.5K dearer for a 4x4 ???
Goin a 351 well that would pose an issue as the engine would have to comply with emmission requirements for the vehicle being modded
The 5l into the 1 tonner isnt even in the same ballpark, most of the 308 boxes(not trimatic) will bolt up to 5l, same block, heads a bit different. So would be so easy to get it done cos everything just blots up

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
im starting my conversion now so far:

$2600 for motor with all bolt on's ecu and wiring harness
$455 for 5th gear and output shaft for gear box (scored gear box for nothing)

around 3500 for **** from marks 4x4, fly wheel, heavy duty clutch, bell housing adapter, engine mount and accessories kit,

got a mate doing wiring plus on top there is around 500 for programing of BCM

exhaust aswell, also need to modify sump and i think i need another starter motor.....

so so far thats like 7K plus some....... ppl are dreaming if they are gonna do it for 5000 unless they know alot of ppl in the right places lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts