Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday there,
I know there is a heap of info on here about LS1's into GU patrols, but im chasing any info in regards to converting a GU TI 4.8l Auto. Mainly need any info in regards to the auto box and what computers to run. Anything would be great.

Also what is the average asking price for a complete running 4.8l engine??

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Sorry Sash, cant help you with your question. But why are you replacing the mighty 4.8? Maybe a stroker kit would be easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just weighing up options at the moment, i have a new ls1 in the shed so i dont have to pay for an engine. I have looked at turbo's but the auto may be the weak point. Any more feedback or info on either turbo or ls1 would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
Depends how much money you want to spend. You could sell the ls1 and use the money to turbo the 4.8 but the auto probably would suffer. Then again how can you go past the sound of a good v8 revving its nuts off. Keep in mind unless you're doing the work yourself its gonna cost you more to go with the ls1 and either way your probably better off going with a manual gearbox

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone out there ever done an engine conversion or turbo kit with a 5 speed auto???

Patrol 28, there is always the third option.... Duramax!!! I am going to do all mechanical work myself, so it should drop the cost of anyway i choose to go. I know there is different ratio manual gearboxes out there, can anybody recommend which way to go??

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Hey to answer your question about average prices on a running 4.8 engine. I just bought a 2008 model 4.8 motor with 80,000kms for $4400 with 1 year parts and labour warranty. Somewhere else I was quoted $6000 for a 220,000kms 2002 4.8 engine!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GUIII4.8er can i ask what the new engine transplant is??? I didnt think the 4.8l where worth that much!!

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
I have heard someone was running the 6.5 in front of a 5 speed auto they are a preety strong trans so I'am told. A bit of work and you can put anything in front of it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Hey sorry when i say transplant, I meant the changover coz the original 4.8 died on me and was quoted heaps more to rebuild so I bought another one to replace. while I was looking for the engine, I couldnt find one for under 4k unless its damaged.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
And yes, 4.8 is a expensive engine, quoted 14K brand new from Nissan. I didn't know that it was expensive either but love the power from it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
sash, i saw a nice lookin silver ti drivin down the road the other day with sash 11 plates i wander if that was you? was a very nice lookin rig.

in the buy a nissan section someone mention to me a 6.5 turbo cev was in front of one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the best cheapest and most reliable setup is to run the commodore auto, but upgrade the internals to 4l65e specs. and the only way to go with ecu is to run the commodore ecu, they are fully programable as far as engine tuning as well they have they ability to tune shift points and line pressure etc for the auto. don't get talked into an aftermarket ecu as they are more trouble then they are worth and have less tuneability then the std ecu. ive been running this setup for about 2 years now and had no issues, having said that if money wasn't an issue i would go the ls2 (6.0l) and the 6 speed auto, they just have a lot more low down grunt as well as being more fuel effeciant on the highway. If you want more info or pricing give give steve at Killa Kustum Kables a bell, he can supply a plug in wiring harness that plugs straight into the gu or can do the whole conversion, his number is 0404 811 498.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dale123, thats me, was trying you on the radio but no luck. Thats a wild sort of rig you got there!!

Grinch2, thanks for the info. Makes good sense, how does mounting the commodore auto go? Does it retain the factory position once the transfer case is adapted, or is there more work involved.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts