Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a Gu 3 litre for a dirt cheap price the motor shat itself but everything else is mint. I'm really keen on putting in an ls1 and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and info on the engineering requirements. I've looked into the marks 4wd kits it seems the belhousing adapters are good but everything else is rediculously over priced.
All info would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
4x4 nissan
70 Posts
hey mate i was looking at the same thing az you but like you yes it is all well over priced
the guys at racebred 4wd in morwell might be able to help you out

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Im not sure where you guys are located ........but there is a good market for these conversions if you could find a mechanic willing to do a few I reckon he would be booked for the next 6 months. There are plenty of GU's out there that are in need of a smooth engine swap.

I will be wanting to go down this path later in the year... but have no idea who can do the work, i would prefer someone who knows what they are doing and prefer somone who has done a few before ......

Do Marks to installs as well as supply ?

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Marks offer a fitting service, yes.. Don't forget that what you are also paying for is the research of what parts will fit, the instructions, and the fabrication of some parts. It would take a while to get all the items correct if you were to do it yourself...

I've found that their clutch prices are on par with others; the equivalent to their standard duty has a rrp of over $1200 in a reputable brand. A lot of man hours go into developing their kits, and they are in business, but by the same token, many convenience stores are in business because they offer that - convenience. And the marks kits are a superior product, reducing the overall stresses of undergoing a conversion.

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can do 95% of the work myself I was mainly after info on do's and don'ts in terms of getting it engineered and other little fiddly bits like best way to make exhaust manifolds what radiator to use. Weather to use clutch fan or thermos that sort of thing.
Cheers for the info so far guys

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
LS1 Conversion

All you need to do is call your local road transport authority (regency park in SA), and ask for a statement of requirements. You may then need a decibel test for the exhaust, and a vehicle inspection. That's all that's required down here, so long as you meet emissions standards.

I'm using the clutch fan on mine under advice from the mechanics at work...

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I've used a bit of Mark's gear.
It's worth it to save the headaches.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
the wiring looms are crap. sum of the parts u can get cheaper like the sump from out of the states

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
for engineering make sure the welds are top quality. the fuel lines are well away from the exaust aswell as all wiring. also a petrol fuel filler is required. if it is neat its less likly the engeneer will look overly hard trying to find faults. in reguards the the clutch fan i also went with this option because there proven to work efectivly. i pearsonaly wouldent trust electric as the only has to be a fault out in the bush and you have a cooked head. alos there clutch kits are over priced. i got a heavy duty exceedy tuff clutch for 350. that was a 10.5 inch for a 5l though not sure if 5.7 will be dearer, couldent imaging so as ive got plenty of deisle clutch's for around the same price

1 - 12 of 12 Posts