Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I currently have a 2013 GU zd30, I’ve been considering a conversion for a while and recently a friend of a friend has an ls2 with 85,000 kms on it. I’m wanting to build my trol into more of a tourer and we are towing a 2.5tonne caravan as we are working and travelling around the country for at least the next few years.
just hoping to get so advice, pros and cons with ls2, alternatives etc.
thanks in advance 🤙🏼

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,962 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Being 2013 it will be a CRD best to check with your local motor registration authority as to what you can do. I know after 2006 you can't convert to 4.2 diesel but unsure of petrol engines.

Reactions: Jimmyjimjim

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,859 Posts
Hi all,
I currently have a 2013 GU zd30, I’ve been considering a conversion for a while and recently a friend of a friend has an ls2 with 85,000 kms on it. I’m wanting to build my trol into more of a tourer and we are towing a 2.5tonne caravan as we are working and travelling around the country for at least the next few years.
just hoping to get so advice, pros and cons with ls2, alternatives etc.
thanks in advance 🤙🏼
Have a read of this. Brand new engines available. Becoming a popular alternative. But I have to ask what is wrong with engine you have? If you want a V8 Patrol buy a Y62.

Reactions: Jimmyjimjim

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,116 Posts
Have a read of this. Brand new engines available. Becoming a popular alternative. But I have to ask what is wrong with engine you have? If you want a V8 Patrol buy a Y62.

The 4.5 Cummins that @patrol97 offers is only Euro3 compliant, so you can't fit it in a Y61 that came from the factory with a ZD30CRD.

I presume there's a CRD version of this engine available (like the 6BT) but that will require some interesting electric integration.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,859 Posts
The 4.5 Cummins that @patrol97 offers is only Euro3 compliant, so you can't fit it in a Y61 that came from the factory with a ZD30CRD.

I presume there's a CRD version of this engine available (like the 6BT) but that will require some interesting electric integration.
As far as I know and according to patrol97 build thread the engine I referred to is CRD with electronic control module, not the the old 4bt.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,493 Posts
As far as I know and according to patrol97 build thread the engine I referred to is CRD with electronic control module, not the the old 4bt.
You are correct that the engine patrol97 has used is a full electronic common rail unit but AndrieK is also correct that it only meets euro3 polution levels and is not legal in a euro5 vehicle.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,859 Posts
You are correct that the engine patrol97 has used is a full electronic common rail unit but AndrieK is also correct that it only meets euro3 polution levels and is not legal in a euro5 vehicle.

A shame and thanks for clarification. I have been following Springs conversion thread with interest. If my TD42T ever packed it in I would seriously look at one of these or a 4JJ.

Apologies to the OP for the misinformation. If I owned a CRD Patrol the last thing I would do is put in a LS engine. As I said in an earlier post if you want a V8 petrol Patrol buy a second hand Y62.

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link appreciate it 👍🏼
Nothing is wrong with the engine at all it’s been great and reliable no problems whatsoever just looking more down the track and I understand the buying a Y62 how ever for personal reason I am attached to the current rig that I have

·
Registered
nissan
249 Posts
The biggest pro is the power you want in what In my opinion is the best four wheel drive available. The cons are the cost of the conversion and additional fuel consumption. I would have no issues doing the swap if you are sure you are going to keep the car for a long time and the car is in really good condition. No point in doing a conversion if the rest of the car is falling to bits. I can’t comment on any of the other options.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,493 Posts
Apparently these guys seem to think it's OK if you find the right engineer:unsure::unsure:
According to my auto engineer there are hundreds of Patrols with 6.5 Chev conversions that are not legal either. He says you can't put one in anything newer than 2008 but most installers are happy to put them in cars up to 2013.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts