Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pooped ZD30 in my 2006 wagon and I can't find a fairly priced 2006 4.2. So I am now looking at an LS2 conversion. From what I have researched the L76 and L98 are pretty much the same except the L76 still has the DOD internals and a little less HP. I have found 2 engines for sale one is just a complete L98 with no box and the other is a complete L76 and a 6speed auto for the same price. I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each engine and I am also trying to figure out if the patrol 5 speed manual or the GM 6speed auto would be better. So any info from this fine forum, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated. Do I got L98 and manual or do I go L76 and 6Speed auto?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still struggeling to decide, even the missus can't decide. L98 and nissan 5 speed manual or L76 and GM 6 speed auto.

The only things I can think of is the 6 speed auto might not come well with low range torque delivery but this could be compinsated with a decient trans cooler. The plus for the auto is an awesome over drive which should match well with my 33's and 4.33 gears.

With the 5 speed manual the conversion should be cheaper and the L98 v8 has the DOD removed which makes it a slightly more powerful engine. On the down side not having as good overdive in it may make the v8 rev slightly higher giving a increase in fuel consumption.

Any Thoughts

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
the l76 from a vz does have DOD but it doesn't work
the l76 ecu doesn't have the software and the l76 doesn't have the wiring in the loom for it
there is just the DOD solenoids in the engine so for best results u change all hydraulic lifters to normal ones

also the 6spd auto is fiddly to set up if u want tip tronic
plus they are not the best autos out there

just get an l98
the only small problem is the ecu will sit behind the drivers headlight
so if u want to fit ecu on the inside best the get a vz l76 6lt setup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts