Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found sound info that says you can get a rear LSD from other nissans and put it in the front of a GQ. Are they as strong as the original GQ ones? I have 4.3 in mine now, i have picked up some 4.6 diffs i want to put in, might as well put LSD in the front as well and shim them both. I seen some people have been able to swap centers through some spares shops. Any ideas who to try? Would like to swap my 4.3. Centre for the LSD 4.6. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
180 Posts
my father ilnlaw had a MQ rear lsd in the front of his GQ and was unstoppable and unbreakable

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
Can't you just use another GQ diff in the front or are the GQ front & rear different to each other ? If you run 2 LSD's is their any chance of transmission wind up or any other problems like steering around corners ? 2 LSD's sounds like a good option to diff locks

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
nissan d21 rear diffs will fit in your front, change gears and your in buisness i,ve done about a dozen of them you can,t use the rear patrol diff as the axle spline is bigger a very easy conversion don.t card the front to hard as you,ll break axles, and go to town on the rear card it very tight if you do a lot of bush work cheers , wildog

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Your steering will be alot heavier though. Go an auto locker over an LSD anyday. Heaps better performance and a lot lighter cornering.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Did the pathy lsd swap and shimmed it, very heavy steering obviously and didnt last with the weight of the vehicle.Hard to drive in a rocky enviroment. Became loose in a short time. Pulled it out and fitted an auto locker, way better option by far.
Auto locked front and a well shimmed rear lsd makes for an enjoyable and capable 4wd.
Although my current GQ has an air locker but thats a different discussion.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to have spare centres lying around thought if i could just swap on over for LSD works out very cheaply. Might be better off advertising the 4.3's to cover the auto locker.
What would the F/R 4.3's be worth?

People dont snap axels with lockers why would you with an LSD Wildog?

bamr33, $350 for a locker?? Cheapest I've seen them is around the $480 mark. What brand is that?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
there is a mob in America that do the lokka lockright for GQ front and MQ/MK front/rear
when i had my MQ i was talking to him about these for it and roughly way back then when the dollar was still **** was ganna cost me low 300's each with freight included in the price and in Aus cheapest i seen at the time was low 400 without freight so might be worth spending a couple hours sussing out joints over in America

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Don't go wasting your time and money on those cheap Lockrite/ Lokkas. Go for quality and get a Detroit. I got mine from the US for around $700. Opposite Lock wants $1600 according to their website. Pffft, keep dreaming Opposite Lock. I'd highly reccommend the Detroit if you're after an auto locker, they're much more reliable than the cheapies and alot better than an LSD.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Im going to have spare centres lying around thought if i could just swap on over for LSD works out very cheaply. Might be better off advertising the 4.3's to cover the auto locker.
What would the F/R 4.3's be worth?

People dont snap axels with lockers why would you with an LSD Wildog?

bamr33, $350 for a locker?? Cheapest I've seen them is around the $480 mark. What brand is that?
$480 for an auto locker

Air Lockers, China Air Lockers, Air Lockers Manufacturers, China Air Lockers Suppliers

I know some will say cheap china chit, but meh when you can buy them for not much more than your $480 auto locker ? and I would bet my leffty that they are just ARB air lockers that haven't quiet cut it in the quality side of things this could be because of poor workmanship or just because the paint isn't perfect, like those $300 chinese ^hp winch motors on ebay that when you get them still have enough of the faint W on the end cap to tell that they are or were meant for ARB :/

have seen plenty of auto lockers fail, and then you have that crappy feeling of it locking and unlocking not to mention that horrible crunching sound I have driven both open front, auto locker, and ARB air lockers , you can't compare the on/off at the finger tips of an air locker.

I got a quote for my leaf sprung mav of $1,000 plus shipping for f/r work it out even paying to have them fitted your way cheaper than just one ARB locker

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,606 Posts
$480 for an auto locker

Air Lockers, China Air Lockers, Air Lockers Manufacturers, China Air Lockers Suppliers

I know some will say cheap china chit, but meh when you can buy them for not much more than your $480 auto locker ? and I would bet my leffty that they are just ARB air lockers that haven't quiet cut it in the quality side of things this could be because of poor workmanship or just because the paint isn't perfect, like those $300 chinese ^hp winch motors on ebay that when you get them still have enough of the faint W on the end cap to tell that they are or were meant for ARB :/

have seen plenty of auto lockers fail, and then you have that crappy feeling of it locking and unlocking not to mention that horrible crunching sound I have driven both open front, auto locker, and ARB air lockers , you can't compare the on/off at the finger tips of an air locker.

I got a quote for my leaf sprung mav of $1,000 plus shipping for f/r work it out even paying to have them fitted your way cheaper than just one ARB locker
guess wat i'm buying!!!!

only getting a front cause i already have a rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts