Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been researching LSD issues because I think mine doesn't work very well. I read that running engine oil flush through for 1000km might help, so I chucked in a 300mL bottle. 1000km later and still no better. When I jack up both rear wheels and try to spin one, they both spin in the same direction. From what I understand, this means that the LSD is working to some degree. However, if I jack just one of the wheels and put the vehicle in drive, the lifted wheel just spins freely with the grounded wheel not getting any traction.

So where to from here? Should I flush the diff, try another 1000km with EOF in it and then see if it's any better? Do I need to look at getting the diff rebuilt or shimmed?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
after the 1000 km you did change oil didn't you?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Yeah its designed to have a variation of traction between the two wheels.
Not full traction on one and zero on the other.

It sounds as though, it is probably a little weak It should still try and drive the car off the jack to some degree.

Unless you are seriously struggling with traction issues I would just leave it alone. If you are struggling get a locker put in.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I changed the diff oil after the 1000km.

I was under the impression it should drive off the jack. Didn't realise it needed a bit of traction on both wheels. On the weekend I'll test it out on the tracks on the gravel and see if it spins both wheels in a low traction situation.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
607 Posts
What oil are you using? I put penrite 140 Lim slip oil in and it seemed to make it tighter. done it for a few mates to and they have said the same

·
Registered
nissan
2,479 Posts
What oil are you using? I put penrite 140 Lim slip oil in and it seemed to make it tighter. done it for a few mates to and they have said the same

Sure does!! Mine binds up that much it's like it's a locker. Shudders the rear end a heap !

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used castrol diff oil that was recommended. I'll look at getting some of the ppenrite and changing to that over the weekend.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Run the straight 140 penrite.

I ran the 85/140 LSD Castrol for a while. The LSD never worked properly with the multigrade.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
This is from Castrol Datatek for the last 4.2 turbo patrols which is more updated

CASTROL AXLE LIMITED SLIP 90
Mineral gear oil recommended for cars and commercial vehicle axles operating under higher frictional loads, especially limited slip differentials and those experiencing clutch chatter. Meets Mack GO-J quality thermal stability requirement. SAE 90, API GL5

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
There's only about 200nm across the LSD and you can easily overcome that with your hands around a tyre...ie a lot less effort than it takes to move the patrol from rest. So you need to have some load on the opposite wheel for it to be effective. Just get on dirt and do a burn out..if it leaves dual tracks it working. It shouldn't shudder and but it should squeal on tight turns like underground concrete carparks.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
try engage your parking brake while its on jack
if its working right it should send power to the other wheel
I think it's when you slightly press the brake pedal while driving it helps the LSD transfer the drive but not 100% sure. But as said just drop a wheelie in the mud with the misses standing behind your car to see what happens LOL

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apparently Penrite isn't making the limslip 140 anymore, they've replaced both limslip 140 and hypoid 140 with one product just called gear oil 140.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Penrite and Castrol Datateck don't recommend 140 as diff oil in the last made TD42 Patrols as well as current ZD30's. Penrite are showing 80w-90. Reason ?

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After dumping the diff oil on Sat and filling it with Penrite 140. Took it out for a spin on the soft sand yesterday and the LSD was spinning both wheels nicely. Now I just need to get my suspension sorted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts