Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find anything with detail on this subject. I have the H260 LSD in the my 2000GUII, it has 416,000k on it and never been touched (but meticulously maintained as per book), I have a slight whine at 100k cruising, could be wheel bearings after such a long time but could also be diff. Until it gets bad enough to rebuild I'm wondering if an additive would help and if so what have members used? I use Castrol Axle Limited Slip 85w-140.

I have always shy'd away from LSD additives but thought this might be an opportune time to ask the question and it may help others as well.

BTW, front diff assembly was fully rebuilt several years ago when the ELocker went in, just plain diff oil in there.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,582 Posts
I've always used the Penrite 140 diff oil, which has the additives in it, also says on the bottle it's specifically suited to Nissan LSDs. I've also got a whine coming from somewhere when floating the throttle at 100kph, it's one of those sounds that you can't tell where it's coming from. Last time I changed the diff oil I put in a Nulon additive, but the noise is still there.
I read years ago that the best LSD oil is whale oil, but think you'd have a lynch mob of greenies after you if you used that.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also run penrite 140 in my h260. H260 uses straight 140 whereas h233 lists 90 with anti LSD chatter additive
Interesting, how long have you been running the straight 140?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Couldn't get penrite 140 locally so I drained old oil out and used castrol 90 lsd oil (and I don't like using anything bar penrite in my car and I'm anal!!!) And iv had 0 issues with fair few 4wd missions and some pretty hard 2wd bashings!!!!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been running the straight 140 in my h260 for 60,000 KMs, towing the 1.6 tonne empty trailer
Cool, will look deeper into that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nothing wrong with straight diff oil BUT you may get chatter when turning.
LSD additives are available and reduce stiction of the clutch plates.
Nissan should use 140 in Oz unless up the mountains in winter.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing wrong with straight diff oil BUT you may get chatter when turning.
LSD additives are available and reduce stiction of the clutch plates.
Nissan should use 140 in Oz unless up the mountains in winter.
I can't find a straight 140LSD oil anywhere.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,372 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
Nissan
144 Posts
using 80w/140 in my rear ATM, checked condition after 20 000 kms, (working hard) its still golden and brand new.

I think the limited slip worked better with the straight 140.

Both Penrite oils.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is for LSDs. Its on the front of the bottle.
Thanks. Found it, using phone so it wasn't immediately apparent. Will drop over to SC tomorrow and see if they have it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts