Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im abit confused on wat to do. i have a n issan patrol cab chassis.
i dont no if i should go lsd front and tighten up the lsd rear or if i should keep the lsd rear and install a arb air locker.

let me no wat use think?

cheers

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Front locker. LSD rear.

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
Lockers front and rear

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
depends how you intend to drive it.

at least 2 of the people giving you advice above have wagons which have different needs to a ute.

Being a cab chassis if you shim the LSD it will be hard to drive in the rain if its empty. It'll have a massive rear diff anyway.
Start with some decent tyres, then try to get it to flex with slotted bushes and swaybar disconnects (assuming its a coily)
If you find yourself getting stuck after all of that get a front locker only. You arent going to be tackling any tough tracks with a ton in the tray are you? Didnt think so.. So that rear diff will be almost as good as locked.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
I have herd of putting an lsd in the front (GQ), but am unshore what the doner vehicle is? what model? what year? etc.......

thanks

Troy

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
With the cost & complications of LSDing the front you might as well lock it..

I agree with locking the front & leave the rear LSD.. i would look into an E-Locker dont just jump on an air locker because everyone talks about them..

·
Registered
Nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I alReady have the tyres and the lift and all the other mods just all I need now is something tht is goin to get me up them hills. I wAs talking to a few ppl and they all said go Front air locker. They said the only thing wrong with a front locker it's bast**d to steer once it's engaged. Then I was talking to this other guy and he said go LSD in the front because the advantages are over the locker is tht u can steer and u won't break any cv'S. So I'm still a little confused wat to do still.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
There is another choice.

Auto lockers allow you to steer, but remain locked to get you up those hills. Search for lock-right (american) or lokka (australian), both are identical, I chose lock-right because I didnt have to wait 3 months for them to become avail, and it was over $100 cheaper to purchase.

Air lockers are great but require constant switching as they do not allow differential action of the front diff.

·
Registered
Nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the opinions guys realli appreciate it I think I'm goin to go the locker way. Cheers for tht

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
can anyone answer my question?

·
Registered
215 Posts
nissan pathfinder rear center is suppose to bolt into patrol front.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Do you need lockers?

I know more people with them that never use them than people who do use them... Pretty much like winches.

I think more people suprise themselves with how valueable driving skills are V every aid on the market.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Jacket_1985 said:
Would you recommend lockers for me?
No, your my hero you can do without.

IMWO, people with no skill and point and shoot drivers - yes I'd recommend them. But then again for new drivers I'd not recommend them. Lean how to drive first. Learn what your 4b can do before going with every aid... Once you have all the aids money can buy and rely on them and havent learnt the basic skills if the aid breaks, your ****ed. Yes, I have seen it.

Sad thing is that these days everyone thinks they cant go offroad without lockers and a 4ft lift and massive tyres and tons more ****. Simple fact these days, you dont need all the kit for more places than you do need it. And as time goes on it will get worse.

I had lockers in the GQ, and used them once to test them out and once up Logdump in the rain with cammo at the helm (I forgot to put in 4wd :( ).

I had more fun picking lines, and using the pittance of skill I have to get everywhere the other blokes did. It may have taken 2-4 efforts, but I more often than not got there in the end, but thats what wheeling is about to me.

YMMV

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Truckster do you still have that youtube clip of the olden 4wds where they had no lockers, going through mud? I can't find it.

To OP. I had a front locker, and rear LSD in my GU. After ahwile, I started to go on harder tracks, where the LSD kinda slides me out of track. Kind of dangerous when you got a massive slope on the side of you.

Then I went and got rear arb air locker, it was awesome over the Rear LSD. I wished I did it first.

Had so much control of the GU then. I have a few clips on youtube of my old Patrol, will send through PM's though.

To make it simple. Front first if your only go soft - mild tracks. Hard, and very Hard you definetly need front and rear.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Jacket_1985 said:
Are you coming to the vic meetup? i want to see you drive.:D
Na, as the thread in trips section 5 day long weekend, make the most of it. At moment its the Pink Lakes, Shearers 1/4s, into Little Desert/Border track if its open down to Bordertown to see sexy sudso if hes at home.

If it the BTrack aint open might head to Beachport Robe/Carpenters Rocks.. always fun there. (depending on tides, havent researched yet)

Everytime I've attempted Talbotville, something has turned to **** so I couldnt go :(

1 - 20 of 71 Posts