Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i was out 4wding and was bogged in the mud and my mate notice only my rear left tyre was spinning. Is it possible that the limited slip plates are worn out?? its a 92 td42 with just over 400k kms i believe its done a lot of 4wding in its past.

any help would be great

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
might not be lsd to start with mate otherwise yeah plates stuffed

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
i have the same problem mate, check ebay they are selling some road runner ones for about $10 i am either going to go with a locker or put 2 shims in

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same problem mate, check ebay they are selling some road runner ones for about $10 i am either going to go with a locker or put 2 shims in
10 bucks sounds like a bargain! do you replace the shims or put new ones in?

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
whats the oil like. i mix some lsd and kero 50/50 and run it around the block a couple of times and drop it again to clean it out. does it shudder when going around corners

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats the oil like. i mix some lsd and kero 50/50 and run it around the block a couple of times and drop it again to clean it out. does it shudder when going around corners
no i dont think so. well i cant notice any shuddering. i recently changed the diff oil this time i tried castrol ls 90 in the rear

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
If you want your LSD working again you can add some engine flush to you diff oil to clean the shims. Worked in my car.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
The rear LSD requires 140W....if the plates are contaminated you need to flush it like GRUBBIES MOBILE MECHANICS mentioned or keep spraying something like WD40 through it and working the plates letting the spray drain out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
is it wise to fill the diff with straight engine flush and driving it say 500 km then draining and replacing with oil? mine is pretty bad only works when the left tyre has all the weight then LSD works when right tyre has the weight it dont do sh|t and i get stuck

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
ive had a couple with shudders that ive just done a flush on with kero and lsd oil 50/50 and they have come good maynot work on urs but certainly worth trying before pulling out

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
There's a thread on another well known forum about this & I did what was advised on there & it worked for me, I had shudders taking off & on corners sometimes quit bad. The advice was to put in a bottle of 375ml flush, after removing same amount of diff oil 1st, run it for up to 500 k's then replace. It worked a treat for me & that was over 6000k's ago, its supposed (& does) to remove any "grime" that's built up on the plates over time. :D My LSD is as good as new & still surprises me at what it does.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok today i emptied old oil from rear axel then refilled mixing 50/50 old oil and kero. then i took it for a drive around the area probably for about 10-15min got home and flushed it.
after it had finished draining i grabbed a torch to see how clean the inside was. i thought it did an awsome job, it degreased almost everything i could point a torch at. maybe i shouldve driven around a bit longer to get the really stubborn muck off. then i refilled the diff with some fresh 85/145 lsd oil

so hopefully my problem is solved

thx everyone for the help. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts