Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the workings of the LSD for 2000 GU Patrol? My understanding of a LSD was if one wheel was spinning then drive would be sent to the opposite wheel.

In my case I was sand driving and got bogged, I was in 4H, and when I looked out my window to the rear drivers side wheel, it was not turning at all. Should that wheel have been turning? What would make it not turn? As I was on my own I could not actually see what other wheels were turning or not, however I would have thought that both rear wheels should have been turning?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yep should have been
They do wear out or become glazed up
Theres plenty on here about them, 2 sizes in patrols, in smaller one also 2 types, some are better than others

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Should be turning if the LSD was in good condition. There are friction plates/shims within the diff that spread the load between the wheels. If they're flogged out, they don't spread load very well and often it results in just drive to one wheel.

It can be fixed by reshimming the LSD or adding an additional shim to the cluster.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU Ti
34 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a locker? Otherwise, if it's worn out that much, stick a couple of 0.7mm shims and you'll have it almost as good as a locker. Yours would have the large LSD. The smaller ones started with S3, where the only way to know which one it is, is to pull the diff centre out. Then they were used in all Patrols from S4 onwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts