Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the oil in my rear diff and dont know weather its lsd or not. Is there any easy way to tell? Does the LSD take different oil to non LSD? My manual says to use API GL5 80w/90 oil

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
367 Posts
Jack up the rear axle so both wheels are off the ground, then turn one wheel by hand, the other wheel turns in opposite direction, you have an open diff, if the other wheel turns in the same direction you have a LSD.

If you are not sure if you have the right oil in , you are going to have to "flush" the diff with LSD oil a number of times in order to get the friction plates working again. Castrol LSX is the most common LSD oil. fill, drive, drop, fill drive,drop, and repeat. It will take many km to get your diff working correctly and it may even be worn out which means either replace limited slip components, or, shim the diff.

There are many posts on this forum, juts search, which will lead you to discussions on this.

One "flush" method, is to drain out a small portion of oil and add engine flush, then drive in tight circles and so on for a good few km,then drain. Then repeat, then drain. Then finally replace with proper LSd oil and hopefully it will come back to life.

I'm going through this ordeal at the moment after Nissan here in South africa put the wrong oil in my rear diff. can you believe it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I want to change the oil in my rear diff and dont know weather its lsd or not. Is there any easy way to tell? Does the LSD take different oil to non LSD? My manual says to use API GL5 80w/90 oil
If you are in Oz and have a GU wagon, then I'm pretty sure you either have a LSD rear diff or more rarely (ti) a factory diff lock or an aftermarket diff lock - see dash switch. So just assume you have an LSD and as already posted the factory specifies 140 LSD oil. Many people use 85-140 LSD oil and I know my local dealer used 90 LS. Diffs are not a regular failure item in Patrols so it is probably OK to use anything better than bananas, provided it has some LSD additive. It will chatter around corners without the additive.

I use what the factory says - 140 LSD which you can get from Penrite and probably others. It is cheap if you buy a 20 l drum trade and use it in both diffs for simplicity.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im in oz with a GU wagon, thanks for the replies, i guess ill stick with the recommended oil for now. So the LSD oil is ok for non LSD diffs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts