Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a lubricheck oiltester. i have used it to test both my diesel cars:
Note, both cars had the Delo400 and new filters changed in April 2014. Both cars had egr blocked.
I have Umoto drain valves installed on both cars, it make the access to the oil sample really easy.

Toyota turbo diesel 97 model, 3.0 has done 165,000km
Oil : Delo 400, [email protected], used for 9 months

Nissan ZD30 2006 model has done 105,400km
Oil : Delo 400, [email protected], used for 9 months

The little tester has 10 LEDs. the green ones means oil is in healthy condition, the orange led means the oil will coming up for a changes ( may be another 500km or more for example), and the red means need to change now.

Here are the test result:

Toyota: tester display a green bar 5 (which means oil is still in good condition, see photo attached)

Nissan: tester display a green bar 2 ( oil is in very good condition)

Looks like the ZD30Di is a much cleaner diesel engine ( especially with EGR blocked).

the oil in ZD30 also looks like near new condition, and the toyota oil looks quiet dark.

I believe previously we simply changed oil and filter too soon. and i was quiet concerned about the acid or other dirty things like soot, water, etc) before i carried out today's test. Since the tester manly check for all of these items. based on the result shows, i believe the Delo400 from new, is good for a 10,000km, 12 months in a healthy zd30 engine. compared to other part of the world, Australia's weather condition is very dry, so less likely the acid being build up that soon. i am going to to another test in a month time to see the condition of the oil, and eventually change both oils when they have reached 10,000kms or 12 months. The A$70 tester is a good investment.
So compare to the ZD30, the prado 97 diesel is an older design which need early oil changes. i think this also apply to some other older designed diesel engines like the TD4.2 which make sense to change oil much sooner compare to the zd30. But for zd30, with EGR disabled, we can make the oil change time extended.
the last photo shows the result from toyota oil test.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
I sent mine away for testing last year after a 10,000k change, I use Delo 400 as well (but the LE variety), results came back good. My oil still has good Delo aroma after 5000k, also still very clean, by 10,000 it looks like the old oil did at 5,000k. I do let the oil drain for ages to ensure all old oil is out.

I've got the Fumoto drain, also easy to get samples.

Thanks for the post, for that price I'll grab one and do some testing on other mine and other local members vehicles to get a good cross section of feedback.

EDIT: Just bought one :) Thanks again, worth a try for that price.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
This is my chance to see how much damage I'm doing with my 10 000km service regime.
My last service was at 16 000kms would of been good to test that one. Most ive done is well it would have to be over
25 000kms from memory would of loved to test that baby.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent mine away for testing last year after a 10,000k change, I use Delo 400 as well (but the LE variety), results came back good. My oil still has good Delo aroma after 5000k, also still very clean, by 10,000 it looks like the old oil did at 5,000k. I do let the oil drain for ages to ensure all old oil is out.

I've got the Fumoto drain, also easy to get samples.

Thanks for the post, for that price I'll grab one and do some testing on other mine and other local members vehicles to get a good cross section of feedback.

EDIT: Just bought one :) Thanks again, worth a try for that price.
If you have ordered from their website, it will be shipped tonight. mine took 4 1/2 days to reach my door. very good service

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Very useful post. Goodonyer!!!! In fact, I just bought one myself. I've got 7 engines around the farm plus customers coming in for work. Reckon it's gotta be worth a try. My only concern is that it doesn't detect fuel in the oil...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 7 Green LEDs (No.1-7) to show oil in 'good condition', No. 8-9 LEDs to show oil need change soon, and No. 10 Red LED to flash : 1) slow flash : need oil change, 2) fast flash: need to check engine - means could be some metal or similar things found in the oil
I just did another two tests for both cars after some drive. wait for the oil in room temperature. and the results are consistent ...

I am going to test my friend's BMW X5 diesel when it due for service. BMW has built in device to info driver for service which is not just based on the distant or time, but some mixed factors. i read somewhere that one of the device built in that engine is a kind of oil tester or analysis device. i am not sure it is the same as the lubricheck, but may be similar. I had 2 bmw cars before, when they need service, the dash board will show the service requirement. if you look at the engine oil at that time, it typically quiet dirty. i will give some update once i have chance to do an oil test for a 'due for service' bmw.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very useful post. Goodonyer!!!! In fact, I just bought one myself. I've got 7 engines around the farm plus customers coming in for work. Reckon it's gotta be worth a try. My only concern is that it doesn't detect fuel in the oil...
i thought about the fuel detection thing. But since i also have an oil pressure gauge which will give indication about the oil pressure. should you have a fuel leak, the gauge will show the lower oil pressure, or simply take a look at the oil. the real fuel leak normally happens very fast. and you could tell it happens by other symptoms before even checking the oil....

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
There are 7 Green LEDs (No.1-7) to show oil in 'good condition', No. 8-9 LEDs to show oil need change soon, and No. 10 Red LED to flash : 1) slow flash : need oil change, 2) fast flash: need to check engine - means could be some metal or similar things found in the oil
I just did another two tests for both cars after some drive. wait for the oil in room temperature. and the results are consistent ...

I am going to test my friend's BMW X5 diesel when it due for service. BMW has built in device to info driver for service which is not just based on the distant or time, but some mixed factors. i read somewhere that one of the device built in that engine is a kind of oil tester or analysis device. i am not sure it is the same as the lubricheck, but may be similar. I had 2 bmw cars before, when they need service, the dash board will show the service requirement. if you look at the engine oil at that time, it typically quiet dirty. i will give some update once i have chance to do an oil test for a 'due for service' bmw.
I really think that to get truly achieve empirical knowledge from this we need to test as many engines as we can from our circle of friends/colleagues. for the first time in ages I'm actually quite exited about this development, there are many sceptics about the 10,000k service period for the DI, I think it could prove beyond doubt that what we do with NADS to with our trolls is beneficial and will be proved beyond doubt if we get a good cross section of samples.

Thanks again for the link, great for the money. We can use this thread to collect and maintain information which we can slot into the archives once running with a good cross section.

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
What reading does new oil have ?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Ahhh! this is part of the empirical info we shall gather, you must have a base line or nothing else counts. My oil tests have been setting me back $50 a throw so a base line wasn't going to happen, now it will be free :).

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Caltex Delo 400 is HD truck engine oil. There for ~40,000 km or 6 months whichever is first is usually drain interval. Most highway, long haul trucks will do that in under 3 months. That oil barely works out a sweat in ZD30 especially with 5,000 km interval.

I'm not saying it is unsuitable, indeed it is marketed for mixed fleets but I'd have thought that Delo XLE multigrade which has correct viscosity rating (10W-40 is Nissan recommended oil for ZD30) and more importantly viscosity figures are way better than Delo 400 especially at cold starts, is more ideal on paper at least. It seems to be synthetic, more expensive hence probably more incentive to extend the drain interval as well. Perhaps 12 months 15,000 km.

In any case keeping semi synth/mineral oil in for longer than 6 months irrespective of km travelled is IMHO not wise.

As for the electronic magic box, what is its accuracy and more importantly how often does it needs to be calibrated in order to stay accurate? personally I think it is just a gimmick.

Oil is cheaper.....

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i tested the new oil first. which give a 1 green led reading. the instruction says, either 1 or 2 green led reading means the oil is in top condition.
it is a good idea before taking any reading from your used oil, to do a test for a new oil. then clean up the tester for next old oil test.

Reactions: JDX-42D and rumcajs

·
Registered
nissan
975 Posts
Be nice to know just how the device works. The sceptic in me is thinking it's just measuring the electrical resistance of the oil.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Caltex Delo 400 is HD truck engine oil. There for ~40,000 km or 6 months whichever is first is usually drain interval. Most highway, long haul trucks will do that in under 3 months. That oil barely works out a sweat in ZD30 especially with 5,000 km interval.

I'm not saying it is unsuitable, indeed it is marketed for mixed fleets but I'd have thought that Delo XLE multigradewhich has correct viscosity rating (10W-40 is Nissan recommended oil for ZD30) and more importantly viscosity figures are way better than Delo 400 especially at cold starts, is more ideal on paper at least.

In any case keeping semi synth/mineral oil in for longer than 6 months irrespective of km travelled is IMHO not wise.

As for the electronic magic box, what is its accuracy and more importantly how often does it needs to be calibrated in order to stay accurate? personally I think it is just a gimmick.

Oil is cheaper.....
mate, i see your point. the oil tester is not scientifically accurate compare to a lab based chemical test. but it good enough and very cheap, easy to use as a reference for a simple oil change test. i would not have been too sure if i had only one diesel engine car. but from two of my different 3.0 turbo engines, i have already seen the differences in terms of the oil aging process. the toyota prado with an older engine, traveled 1100km less than the patrol, the led reading is 5 ( 1 to 7 is good), instead the zd30's reading is 2. then if you take a look at the oil sample themselves, the results make sense. as the zd30 with egr blocked, the oil looks near new compare to a much darker prado's oil. i dont think it is a good idea to wait till the orange or even red led reading shows up. as i am going to change oil at around 6 green led reading which is a good safe margin i believe. an oil pressure gauge is also providing important info about both oil and filters.
Yes, oils are cheap these days, but it also much more advanced compared to decade ago's technology, and together with advanced engine design. if we can extend our oil change time with a safe margin, why not? i was in europe holiday last year. when i talked to some of my friends there about their cars and services. many of the diesel engines are good for 12 months or 20,000km oil changes. one of my friends even showed me his engine oil which was to my big 'shock' - the oil was very black! but he told me the oil wont need to be changed for at least another 3000kms base on his service book.
i usually change my prado's oil in about 7 to 8 months time. but now i think it should be easily go for 10 months (about 7,000km) , and zd30 should go for 12 months (about just under 9,000km). i am pretty sure, by then, both oils are still good on the tester reading. but i will change them for piece of mind.
for the delo400, if you go to the oil website and pick up toyota prado, you will see the delo400 is the recommended oil for that engine. so i think it is pretty safe to use this HD oil in our car's zd30 engine. Normally, HD oil can last a bit longer in terms of acid level, etc. yes, it needs a bit more time to warm up for sure in sydney's winter time. but for an HD oil good for 40,000km truck oil change interval, our safe margin is huge

I like GU2's idea to do more tests amount our members/ friends, we will have better picture about the the tester's accuracy / oil change patterns etc.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts

I'm not saying it is unsuitable, indeed it is marketed for mixed fleets but I'd have thought that Delo XLE multigrade which has correct viscosity rating (10W-40 is Nissan recommended oil for ZD30) and more importantly viscosity figures are way better than Delo 400 especially at cold starts, is more ideal on paper at least. It seems to be synthetic, more expensive hence probably more incentive to extend the drain interval as well. Perhaps 12 months 15,000 km.

Oil is cheaper.....
I love my Delo 400 LE, being old school I took no notice of the 2004 Nissan edict that said go lighter in the oil weight, I still use 15-W40, hey it was what was recommended originally :), if I lived in colder climate I may have another look at how I manage things, but for now it's working for me, I agree that there is probably extra life in it, my Delo still looks and smells OK at 10,000 and came back from testing with good results, making it official, working for me and costs are quite reasonable.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be nice to know just how the device works. The sceptic in me is thinking it's just measuring the electrical resistance of the oil.
Basically it test capacitive and resistive properties of oil.

i asked the same questions before i bought one. but i found there are more answers in their website. i did not expect too much from the tester, but it is a cheap device, so i bought one.
but today's test results proved to me that i can use it. it does not give details like a lab test about those wear and tear particles etc. but seams good enough for an oil aging tester which give you some safe margin to decide when to change oil.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Wonder if the lubricheck will work on the misses?! Lol
Soz couldn't resist!

There some good service intervals chopped ;-)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Nice find. I know Ross is involved so there will be pages of good info and testing! :)

Ill watch for an outcome with eager eyes.

Can ya post oil these days? like a bees dick of a drop or 2?

Hmmmm let me know when youve got the gadget in your hands geeyou'...first guinea pig besides yourself for ya machine right here :)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Agreeing with most comments but really nothing replaces a good lab tests. I also love Delo 400 and have used it for years in my dirty RD28ETi. Have had the oil lab tested by mail in WA somewhere and each time I ran it out to 12 months and 6,000kms to made how it was and both times the results were perfect. Lots of life left in the oil. So yes HD engine oil like the Delo is a winner and nothing can really replace a lab test. With the various items they check itsba winner

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Well, I've tested mine out as follows:

GU TD42, 220K kms, 5000kms on current oil - led 2

GQ TD42, 210K kms, about 6000kms on current oil - led 1

Subaru Forester petty, 280K kms, about 8000kms on current oil - led 1

Now, I'm a bit dubious about these good readings - the TD42 is a dirty old engine and I would have expected some deterioration in the oil with that mileage on the oil. Having said that, though, both cars have had regular oil and filter changes at 5000 kms.

And the Subaru gets pretty irregular changes because SWMBO never ever checks the odometer and it has gone quite a while past the oil change point a few times.

Another factor is that we live in a rural area and all the cars get at least a 30km trip to town so they get good and hot.

What do you guys think? I might use the GQ as a guinea pig and not change the oil for a while and see what the tester comes up with.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts