Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Patrol man. Through and through. I've driven Landcruisers many times and I have still never had my Nissan loyalty threatened.

However, every time I see a dual cab V8 Cruiser I have mad urges to sell the Patrol, house, wife and kids and buy one. How can I deal with this sickness? That V8 rumble, dual cab and general solid base the Cruiser gives just tempts me so much.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
do it. I see them in the Southern Highlands everyday. Michael clark (yes the cricketer) has one.

I opened up his water bore and deepened it on his property.

I was a passenger in his as he took me to his bore site when I was quoting the job.

My mate glenno bought one about 2 months ago.

As for the suspension...yep rough ride, garbage articulation: money will sort that.

Weak front diff? All Toyotas have a weak front diff. Ummmm that can be sorted with cash.

Funny how we chit on Toyota's but spend thousands bettering out Patrols in these areas. Lol here.

The early V8 Toyota turbos had probs (top up the oil, check the fuel every servo visit)

Those days are gone.

If I was in the market for a family ute its would be my only choice.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
This should help... Not sure if you can see it in this pic but sitting on top of the flywheel is a couple of very rude big ends.

Should only cost about $15k to rebuild, and still has less grunt than the 4.2 straight six from the earlier version (with small mods).

Look where the starter motor is, fun to change in the car yes?

And MM the only way money can fix a weak Toyota front diff is to spend a chit load of it to put in a patrol diff, I'm not aware of crownwheel/pinions stronger than the pissweak standard ones.

Also Toyota are bloody cheapskates! Rather than make a pair of rear doors to actually fit, they just used the wagon doors and filled in where the wheel would be in the shorter wheelbase wagons... Then they slug you 70k for what looks like an aftermarket dual cab conversion! Ironically the aftermarket conversions of the wagons look more factory than the factory dual cabs, as the wheel is in the wheel arch (who would have thought??).

Don't get me wrong I don't mind them either... Well actually I have quite a soft spot for the wagon version, with a lift and tyres they look pretty mean. But I've witnessed the breaking of four or five front diffs on cruisers and only one of them was being abused at the time and looked justified, and that would always give me the fear of using it in the bush.

But meh... It's not like patrols are perfect either so whatever floats our boats hey?

A GU with a 1HD-FTE and GTurbo... Now THERE'S possibly the perfect fourby :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I agree, whats nissan got to offer though? Nuthin thats what. The young bloke at work has a 2015 Nissan Nirvana 2.5. Its puss. Seriously....... puss.

Its been back several times to Mossvale Nissan.

It got its 10, 000 service about 2 weeks ago. Nissan rang him and said big problems....

It had sand and dust all the way through the intake from airbox to throttle housing, and has been sorted since. They put another airbox in as they said the original wasn't sealing or something ( a factory fault)

Ummmmm yeh jam that up ya clacker. The paint is delaminating on the roof already ( Im a trade spray painter, I looked at it.... that is just garbage) the bloody car is 4 months old.

yeh ok its the Nirvarna, bottom line Nissan. he paid about 26K on road.

Id ask for my money back and go buy a second hand landcrab single cab ute if I was him

He wanted a ute and a nissan, but its garbage.

So back on track, want a ute? Toyota is the only way. Oh and my work ute is the '97 4.2 landcrab whatever model that is 70 I think. slow but has 540,000 ks and gets a hard life.

Leethal as you said a "hdte" whatever you said (lol) in my Nissan would be the ducks guts. Toyota 4.2 in my GU.

Unbreakable and ya could take that to the bank.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,160 Posts
I'm a Patrol man. Through and through. I've driven Landcruisers many times and I have still never had my Nissan loyalty threatened.

However, every time I see a dual cab V8 Cruiser I have mad urges to sell the Patrol, house, wife and kids and buy one. How can I deal with this sickness? That V8 rumble, dual cab and general solid base the Cruiser gives just tempts me so much.

Shame shame shame...

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Well said leethal. I drive one as a work ute and i wouldn't have one.
Agreed they don't need any real abuse to brake the diff so they arnt useful for the type of driving i do. I'd much rather a hilux if i was going to stop doing hard tracks.

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Uncomfortable, not as fast as everyone makes them out to be ( lots of torque tho), suffer from injector knock which results in the injectors needing to be replaced (around 3k for injectors alone), and a weak front diff. But i must admit the dual cab is pretty handy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
There not bad, It only cost 7k to replace the gearbox and transfer on a mates when the output shaft striped the spline and broke pieces of the housing that then went through and killed everything in the box.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
They are probably the only real option, but for what you get and whats payed, not at all good value for money.
Which is probably why the above two points are interrelated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Its racing a hilux LoL I bet he feels proud of that win!

Also note he is in 4wd but his transfer case already broke after both his front hubs snapped. Some may think the toolbox is a disadvantage in a drag, but After you watch him pull up 100 meters down the track and get out all the spare parts he needs to finish the race you understand why.

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1980's design I can live with and actually like.

Leaf springs aren't ideal but I can live with them.

Front diffs being weak is the only concern I have. I know we've rebuilt our front diff twice in the work Landcruiser.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,048 Posts
Looks like he borrowed the rear wheels off a Mini.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Drive one and you will be cured.

I was shocked, epic turning circle and under powered. Drive one at work

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Agreed they are just a crap car in so many ways. The chassis is strong and will resist rusting out on the beach much better than a patrol i admit.
The engine well don't get me started or the old gearbox and transfer.
But i do thank toyota for employing me for so long they certainly kept me in a job those old cruisers

1 - 20 of 130 Posts