Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry about the million threads :rolleyes:

just need to know what they do, at my work we have a fitter and a lathe and a lapping machine. but one guy said its gone with a grinder!

just need to know how its done and if u have any contacts if so!

cheers in advance

PS: and i have searched the internet no striaght up answers!

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
A ground flywheel is heaps better than a machined one. They can be done on a lathe but can get shudder and not bed in as well. I'd get it machined by a good clutch and brake shop.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Stop !!! Get it to someone who knows what they are doing. Had flywheels lightened / balanced and skimmed before in backyard workshops. Once the tool (or should that be Tool !) touches the surface if its not done correctly all you'll get is a sorry and a scrap flywheel. Precision grinding sounds much better, but I don't know much about that.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
they must be ground. you cant machine the friction face, it hardens with use.

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone in adelaide got some suggestions were to take it? been told rick corbett engineering.

cheers

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
any brake and clutch place should have a flywheel grinder.
will cost you approx $100.

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah cheers for the help guys cost me 60 bucks in total.

now to work out what the f a spigot bearing and thrust bearing is :D

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
spigot bearing is a little bush in the back of the crankshaft that the nose of the gearbox input shaft runs in.

thrust bearing is pressed against the fingers of the clutch pressure plate when you put your foot on the pedal. The pressure plate spins around with the engine, the clutch fork pushes this bearing into the spinning fingers which disengages the clutch.

Both should come in your clutch kit. you should replace them both because they are so hard to access later.

You should read a manual before proceeding further, the flywheel bolts often have to be replaced and need to be torqued correctly.

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i got the book and have been reading... i know i have a replacment for all the flywheel bolts and know they get torqued to 65ish. i have a torque wrench so should be alright atm..

didnt get those bearings in my kit which is annoying.

cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts