Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the patrol started after replacing motor, picked it up from mechanic on Xmas eve. Just to recap I've got a 2000 3LTD auto that had an engine failure at 340k km. I decided to replace the engine with a 2005 version but couldn't get it to fire up. Problem was that the year 2000 ECU is not compatible with the 2005 version, after replacing ECU and getting a full reprogramme done by Nissan, as they are the only ones with the correct codes, she is running.

Although its running I'm not happy with it, the auto transmission grabs between changes, really noticeable between first & second, and kickdown doesn't work. I suspect that the auto transmission ECU hasn't been linked up with the new main ECU, shouldn't the Nissan dealer have linked this up ? The reason I asked is they forgot to do the turbo when reprogramming the ECU.

I've also noted that I'm using a fair amount of fuel and blowing black smoke, have new fuel filter and air cleaner cartridge installed. I noticed that the MAF sensor is the old one from the original motor and the one that came with the 2005 engine is with the parts left from the change over. Is this a potential problem? I will be contacting the mechanic who did the engine swap for me next week, unfortuately I haven't been able to do it sooner as he is recovering from a tumble off motorcycle on New Years weekend.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Bull S###,

Change the MAF and disconnect the ECU/Battery to allow the ECU to reset, I have a 2003 Patrol with a 2010 ZD30 DI long motor with my original ECU and have no issues. Bear in mind its the same IP...
A failed MAF sensor could be one reason for a failed motor.

What gauges do you have.

Might I suggest a Gauge, ECUTalk? Great bit of kit, reads all the fault codes (MAF voltages...............) and engine parameters that are important........

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Paul

I think the situation is that he has a early MAF connected to a late (GU4) ECU

I also believe the GU4 MAF is different to the earlier series one

Regards Don

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Newkleer on the forum sells them.
ECUTalk - News

Don, I was under the impression he had purchased another ECU to suit the 2000 one :(.

Bentaxle, what was wrong with the original ECU? if its knackered, then what version did you get as a replacement, one to suit the 2005 motor?

This 2005 motor, was it a second hand one from a donor vehicle? if so then I agree with Don, you can not use your original MAF with the later model ECU, different parameters.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Paul

From memory the replacement 2005 engine would not start with the original ecu and he fitted a later ecu

Regards Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul Don is correct, We couldn't get the engine to fire using my original ECU with the 2005 engine. I was able to get a near new ECU to suit the 2005 engine by had to get Nissan to do a complete recoding before it would start. Whene th mechanic fitted the replacement engine he found that the MAF sensor that came with the replacement engine would not marry up with the original MAF sensor plug socket, so he refitted the original MAF sensor. This sensor was in place when Nissan did the recode, I don't know how the did it as there is a definite difference between the two sensors both in appearance and in the connection socket; the original 2000 model has four pins in the socket and the 2005 version has 5 pins.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts