Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify that the MAF Senser on Patrol models 2007 onwards are self cleaning by a surge around 15 volts during the service or done automatically?

·
Registered
Nissan
94 Posts
I pull mine out and clean it. Just make sure the cleaner dries. I must have had a small amount of residue one day and the car rev'd a bit harder than normal when starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Never heard of self cleaning MAF, not unless they are introducing ultrasonics in somehow :). The stuff suggested works well, but I have been using CRC CO Contact Cleaner with good results for many years, I clean mine at each 10,000k service period whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAF Sensor

When talking to Nissan Service I said that it was a bit smokey the other day and questioned whether it was a dirty MAF Sensor.
He said that it could have been dirty old fuel as the MAF Sensor is self cleaning on yours and later models

( Do they use a hot wire MAF Sensor ? )

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
When talking to Nissan Service I said that it was a bit smokey the other day and questioned whether it was a dirty MAF Sensor.
He said that it could have been dirty old fuel as the MAF Sensor is self cleaning on yours and later models

( Do they use a hot wire MAF Sensor ? )

Thanks.
I would have bet my house on the fact that it was a clueless Nissan Tech that sprouted this info at you.

Hot wire does not mean self cleaning.

The bubble and film type element used in the 01-03 is far more susceptible to failure due to dirt and contamination compared to the later model hot types.

Best piece of advice I can give you is NEVER go to nissan for vehicle servicing or repairs (unless it is under warranty repairs) Find a good local mechanic that is experienced in diesels and build a good rapport with them.

Your vehicle will be far better cared for and last alot longer than a dodgy dealer serviced car will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAF Sensor

I read somewhere that Bosch use a hot wire MAF using a self cleaning cycle with a platinum wire and heated to 1000 deg for a second after the engine is turned off to burn off contaminants controlled through the computer and a relay
I thought nissan might be using the same idea as I see there is an extra wire going to MAF on the later models
Looks like I am wrong.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
Some MAF's do have a self cleaning function as above, but the GU's do not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts