Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This electronic might be used on any car fitted with a vacuum actuator, a 12V Solenoid, and 5V max MAF / MAP.
I will deliver two units sometime in January to @Bidja, and @trev zd30 as they believed in what I was doing,and the reasons why I was doing it.

It can be used with the stock Solenoid, stock MAF, stock MAP, and stock actuator.
Knowing the obscene price of these Genuine nissan parts, I personnaly used
  • a $50 brand new Pierburg N75 solenoid
  • a $50 brand new Melett vacuum actuator
the stock MAF sensor, and the stock MAP sensor.

Of course, the ECU does not control the VNT anymore. The box does.

But the software can adapt to any MAF ( and correct its values to make it look like a genuine NISSAN MAF ), and any MAP.

For those who have a non-stock turbo, and mods allowing for boost in excess of what the standard MAP can accept ( + 1.5 bar or 21,7 psi ), you can use any MAP sensor providing you know what voltage it delivers for two points
( ex : the Nissan MAP delivers 0.5V for 133mbar absolute, and 4,5V for 2533mbar absolute ).

You'd better use an absolute sensor, as this will allow you to get your Patrol to behave as it should under very low pressure conditions ( i.e, at altitudes above 1500m). The magic box comes fitted with an accurate barometer, so you can see what you do.

Last but not least, yes any Patrol configuration can be handled.

if you have a remap and no limp, fine.
If you don't, the box makes use of RPM and MAF data to kill limps at all times. You can therefore tune in such a way to have good torque down low, and maximum air at all times.

It is your ECU which adds the fuel, in accordance with its own fueling maps.
When the ECU sees a given amount of air, it adds the quantity of fuel it has been instructed to.
More air in means more fuel added, means more power and better driveability.

Setting is as simple as filling up a turbo map using graphical aids.
The software runs on a PC, with Mac-OS or Windows.
It communicates wirelessly by bluetooth with the box. All settings are stored in EEPROM, so once set, you can just forget.

By setting accurately the vanes opening at all times, you'll be able to set, for example, the boost level you want when cruising on the highway.

Data recording and replay is also provided, at real-time speed, or higher speed to ease and speed-up data analysis graphically. You can also pause and go. go back and forward in the recorded file to identify the sequence of interest.

I haven't been able to think of anything else anyone would need. But happy to hear from any of you.

I have tested extensively all methods available, and even electronic controllers, and never found any which would do all what I wanted, and the right way.

So I did it.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have no remap, a 3" exhaust, and a wider intercooler. The setting above is the one I use.
The little white square on the MAF_in gauge is 'ON', meaning that, without my electronic, I would be under 'limp' condition. The MAP setting is for the genuine stock MAP.
The MAF setting too.
What I did here, is reduce the MAF voltage at idle, which helps fuel eco and reduces smell.

Having a filtered/smoothed MAF value provides a smooth and not so noisy solenoid control ( yellow curve above ).

I did a lot of analysis work on the IP. Having smoothed/properly filtered MAF values also provides smoother controls from the ECU to the IP, which otherwise are quite noisy too. Another free "goody".

Last, since I don't modify your existing fueling maps, just controlling properly the VNT, you have no more peaks/drops of boost if your "turbo VNT map" is properly set. Easy to detect, Easy to correct.

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
516 Posts
I wish you all the best Phil in getting some good sales with this. You have a put in more R&D than I think anyone has. You have a massive market with the ZD30. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mate i have only skimmed over you posts relating to all this as its not been really relevant to me. But it has got my attention now im closer to getting my project on the road and will be looking at tuning for the 4jj1.
Ill have to do some investigating to see if this will work as you describe in my application.

Either way, well done and im glad all your hard work has payed off.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,513 Posts
if course yes.
That's great Phil! Even though I don't understand a fraction of the stuff you've been doing I do get the principle and like your way of thinking. I'd be very interested in seeing what results it can deliver on my stock CRD. I'd be more than willing to support your efforts. (y)

·
Registered
nissan
202 Posts
Figured you were working on something seeing you'd been quite lately , i was hoping you'd do something like this.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts