Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
156 Posts
I'm very interested. So does this mean I can do my own Remap?
From what I understand I can tune the ZD30 as I go so this is better than a Remap.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
This DOES NOT do a remap, which is a modification of the ECU fuel maps, modifying the qty of fuel ( and most of the time the AFR), and the advance timing ( for proper remaps). As far as I know, the tuners do NOT modify the vanes management performed by the ECU, and all what most of us have done so far was to add valves to compensate for the vanes management not beeing able to adapt to our new patrol configuration ( exhaust, EGR, inlet tubing... etc).

HOWEVER, the thing is that when you have more air going through the MAF, the ECU will add more fuel. Conversaly, reducing the spool-up and the MAF value with a needle REDUCES the MAF value and the fuel injection. What you gain on one side, you loose on the other. Keep in mind the stock ECU manages the vanes opening so that the MAF voltage remain below 4V. As a consequence of the turbo map, MAF value does not exceed 3.55V at 2000RPM, .... 3.98V at 3000RPM... etc

By managing the vanes differently, and allowing MAF to go beyond, the ECU will see more air and will add more fuel accordingly.

If you have a remap, by optimizing the vanes management further, you'll get more air, more fuel injected, and more power. I am looking forward to see what @Bidja will manage to get out of its remap + (Edit) Procharge stage 3 (High Flow) turbo - CRD.

My old 3.0Di does not have a remap, but never ever run so well since it got the electronic management "tuned" to its configuration and got a driveability I never achieved to have.

Last, knowing a split second dual signal calibrator is sold at 250E roughly :
PSC1-031 Dual Programmable Signal Calibrator |, but does not take care of the turbo vanes,
I am thinking of a 300E price.
I will put together the first industriel units soon, and go through full testing.
I'd like also to wait until @Bidja and @trev zd30 are happy with their CRD before releasing the production units.
We have all been waiting for so long to have something which does the job well, that I believe waiting for a few more weeks before getting the new "toy" in is "acceptable". you tell me.
rgds.

& Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey mate, did you get an answer on your question? Would like to know myself
If you have understood that
  • controlling the solenoid accurately will control accurately the vanes opening, how fast the boost will build-up, and how high it will go.
  • that at idle/low rev, the pwm value is too be set "high" to get the vanes pretty closed to ease the spinning
  • that the vanes have to be then opened quite rapidly otherwise you build-up back-pressure, and the turbo spins too fast.
  • if, at any point in time, vanes are too opened, then boost goes down, and so does the MAF value
  • if, at any point in time, vanes are too closed, boost goes to the roof, but he MAF value does not increase as it should
  • the best effieciency of the stock turbo is obtained when valves are half-closed ( or half-opened, same ) for OEM turbos, talk to your supplier. But you will find easily how they have to be managed to be the more efficient.
  • When the boost gets close to the max you have decided, you need to open the vanes further.

Note: The full range of the Rod is roughly 10mm. The Nissan doc states that at idle, the pwm value applied is 55.9% to get the vanes fully closed, and the lever applying firmly on the limiting screw. At 20%pwm, the rod is fully down, and vanes fully opened.
So 36%pwm variation delivers a 10mm movement of the rod, ie 1% delta provides a 0.3mm movement.

An accuracy as little as 0.25% on the pwm control command provides an accuracy better than 0.1mm on the rod length / vanes position. And this is needed. Never forget the effect of 1/3rd of a turn on the limiting screw, or the rod length. It can be HUGE ! Hence the reason for very very accurate setting possibilities.

The MAP is 16 values long, each of them can be selected with an accuracy of 0.25%, from one end of the range to the other end. The software will interpolate values in between to get a very smooth control.

You are the one deciding to have, for instance
- 7 psi cruising at 80km/h, flat road, no wind
-11 psi cruising at 110km/h, flat road, no wind
- 18 psi max under load
Only one position of vanes opening at each boost level selected for a given cruising speed will provide the proper setting for any single car.

The documentation provided will explain in detail how to set these 16 values,once for all, in an arrangement suited to your car and your driving style. The box will come with a standard map, which you will adapt to your car and driving style with the aid of graphic tools.

To cut a long story short, the setting will be as simple as selecting a value with the arrow keys on a keyboard, and pressing "+" or '-' to increase, or decrease the boost level, and/or the vanes opening for a given boost level.

So yes, I believe anyone could set the system by himself, or otherwise ask some support from his friends...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Setting your "turbo MAP" is as simple as moving the 16 ( vanes position/ Boost) points in the "right" position ( the one which suits your needs and driving style ).
And keep in mind, what you want is to maximize the airflow at all times (maf voltage). Not the boost as such.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,397 Posts
If you have understood that
  • controlling the solenoid accurately will control accurately the vanes opening, how fast the boost will build-up, and how high it will go.
  • that at idle/low rev, the pwm value is too be set "high" to get the vanes pretty closed to ease the spinning
  • that the vanes have to be then opened quite rapidly otherwise you build-up back-pressure, and the turbo spins too fast.
  • if, at any point in time, vanes are too opened, then boost goes down, and so does the MAF value
  • if, at any point in time, vanes are too closed, boost goes to the roof, but he MAF value does not increase as it should
  • the best effieciency of the stock turbo is obtained when valves are half-closed ( or half-opened, same ) for OEM turbos, talk to your supplier. But you will find easily how they have to be managed to be the more efficient.
  • When the boost gets close to the max you have decided, you need to open the vanes further.

Note: The full range of the Rod is roughly 10mm. The Nissan doc states that at idle, the pwm value applied is 55.9% to get the vanes fully closed, and the lever applying firmly on the limiting screw. At 20%pwm, the rod is fully down, and vanes fully opened.
So 36%pwm variation delivers a 10mm movement of the rod, ie 1% delta provides a 0.3mm movement.

An accuracy as little as 0.25% on the pwm control command provides an accuracy better than 0.1mm on the rod length / vanes position. And this is needed. Never forget the effect of 1/3rd of a turn on the limiting screw, or the rod length. It can be HUGE ! Hence the reason for very very accurate setting possibilities.

The MAP is 16 values long, each of them can be selected with an accuracy of 0.25%, from one end of the range to the other end. The software will interpolate values in between to get a very smooth control.

You are the one deciding to have, for instance
- 7 psi cruising at 80km/h, flat road, no wind
-11 psi cruising at 110km/h, flat road, no wind
- 18 psi max under load
Only one position of vanes opening at each boost level selected for a given cruising speed will provide the proper setting for any single car.

The documentation provided will explain in detail how to set these 16 values,once for all, in an arrangement suited to your car and your driving style. The box will come with a standard map, which you will adapt to your car and driving style with the aid of graphic tools.

To cut a long story short, the setting will be as simple as selecting a value with the arrow keys on a keyboard, and pressing "+" or '-' to increase, or decrease the boost level, and/or the vanes opening for a given boost level.

So yes, I believe anyone could set the system by himself, or otherwise ask some support from his friends...
This sounds pretty easy Phil. I'm excitedly waiting in anticipation 👍
Cheers

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Registered
nissan patrol
392 Posts
Just found this thread, finally some good news in 2020!
I think it will be what most zd30 patrol owners who aren't happy with Dawes / Tillix and needle(s) will want.
Excellent insight into the problem and clever solution. Well done!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan 2012 Simpson Edition
6 Posts
Sounds good to me, I’ll put my hand up for one when they are ready, so from my understanding it improves a remap even more, which I’m happy with the results from the remap but more power safely is more power. My engine is stock, I’ve done the 3” exhaust, remap and actuator override, boost and temp gauges, Idrive throttle controller and catch can, will I need to do anything else to the motor?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well done! Put me down on the list of the beta testers as well!!
Thanks mate
I know you have some issues with altitude and mountain driving in your country. Like myself.
The box will improve all your driving experiences. The documentation provided will tell you how and why.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,397 Posts
The Navara with the ZD30 DI only runs a MAP sensor ,No MAF , will it work with them?
Does a Navara zd have a variable vane turbo? I thought they had a standard wastegated turbo....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Phdv, that sounds very interesting ! :) i'm in for one unit once you get them ready for shipping. Keep us posted !! (y)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts