Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

If this was your car and it landed here in this shape would you have first...

• Thought , " holy fk", and been devastated knowing you needed a full respray?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Been like... " yipee its fkn landed, who gives a fk about paint!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Been like " this fker's needs a cut and will come up mirror ffs!"

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Or lastly... you would have knbown it could be fixed ??

Votes: 1 4.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Haha, I've thrown a decent bit of coin at CCP, and will continue to do so over time :p
Problem is, getting the detailing bug led me to discovering all the paintwork defects & poorly hidden scratches/chips, so now I'm doing a short TAFE course on auto painting, and have plans for building my own temp spray booth at home!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,571 Posts
My daily driver is electric blue and the missus' car is pearl white, they are hard enough to look after let alone a black car!

My patrol is no trouble though... Sort of custom pinstripe beige...

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,018 Posts
Whoever painted that stang should be shot!!
It's pretty clear that the owner wanted a showroom/showcar finish.

My car is white and the paint is full of crows feet and has the texture of house paint, so luckily I don't have to give a flying fcuk about my paint.
On a related note: fcuk the previous owner of my car and his half assed resto.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overboard, its a minimum 25-30 hrs bro, easy.

A proper cut like that would cost minimum 1 Gorrila...$1k at a guess...
Serious hard work, a hard grind on your hands holding the machine and making sure you don't burn the fkn paint.

I know people who have done it online, and have done it over weeks themselves because its just so grueling.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
If I had my time over I would of chosen a different colour for my patrol.
Whilst black looks awesome when done right + cut and buffed to give that deep wet look its an utter bitch on upkeep !.

The drivers door is the only panel I've wet cut and buffed so far and its still not 100% show room quality.

Haven't bothered with the rest of the patrol yet but it still looks good even with the coat of dirt and road filth :D

If I had a stang it would be a totally different story and I would be that anal bloke with a microfiber cloth in my pocket !

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
If you don't have the polishers, it could cost that much, but even with a bit of shopping around you could cut it back to five hung tops. 180mm Ryobi grinder/polisher from Bunnings for $140, pads would come to about $100~130, polishes about $50, splash out on the wax/sealant at $100.
Could do it all with a DA polisher, no risk of burn-through at all, but a hell of a lot slower. Also much better to go for a quality machine there, if you go through CCP the DAS6-Pro comes in a kit with pads and polishes for $320.

But yeah, lotta effort. I kinda stopped doing too much to my exterior because of the paintwork (Petty reason, I know, should use it as practise for the rotary :p ), but each time I made a crack at it, I'd finish a panel and be completely stuffed.

Also, not quite a fastback, but still a 'Stang with plenty of info to be gleaned on the process:
Pictures & Videos: 2006 Mustang by Ford - Show Car Shine by Autogeek! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

And I don't have any affiliation with 'em, though my wallet feels like I deserve a share in the business, but you should check out the range of car goods that sound freakin' sexy as at CCP's site:
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
when I had a 1970 Mach 1, a kid who I help grow up normally after his dad died of booze, used to come over and do that polish finish on the car for the national shows every year , and it won three years in a row best Mach 1 1969 - 1970 class

1 - 12 of 12 Posts