Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the performance of a mandrel bent exhaust system outweigh the cheaper versions?
Can anyone supply figures?

cheers
Nightjar

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,510 Posts
Does the performance of a mandrel bent exhaust system outweigh the cheaper versions?
Can anyone supply figures?cheersNightjar
Mate I have a 2 3/4 Mandrel bent on my zd30 best thing I ever did, 16hp up overall, max torque achieved 1400 revs lower and increased by over 20%, For my money it's worth every cent, hope those numbers are what your looking for.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I'd say on a high performance car yes mandral would be the go.

but on a ****ty 3ton diesel pumping out a whopping 100kw it wouldnt make **** difference.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Mandrel bent systems maintain the diameter of the pipe and wall thickness through the bend. A press bent system squeezes the pipe in the bend about 1/3 of the original diameter.

This bend not only restricts flow but also leads to deteriation of the pipe much more quickly as the wall of the pipe becomes thinner and the area at the start of the press is prone to higher corrosion.

Mandrel bent all the way. Stainless if you do a lot of water work (boat, water crossings, snow) good quality mild steel for most other applications.
Mandrel bent makes the wall thickness thinner, due to haveing to strech further.

I'd say on a high performance car yes mandral would be the go.

but on a ****ty 3ton diesel pumping out a whopping 100kw it wouldnt make **** difference.
I'm kinda with ya truckster, I do have a mendrel system but it's just because i could.
A 3" system would be just as good as a 2'1/2 mandrel bent i would think.

Please excuse the spelling and stuff i'm kinda blind at this point in time

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,510 Posts
There will never be total agreement on this subject and to a point everyone has a degree of correctness, but, the main point is the quality of the job and materials. Sure mandrel bent thins the walls (slightly) but if it's good quality tube covered in good quality coatings the differences in life span will be minimal.
Mandrel bent will flow better than a pressed unit for the same size no matter what the engine size or power output, that's the properties of physics for you.
To sum up, if you have the bread go top quality mandrel, if you don't want to spend that much go for the best quality pressed you can afford. The common denominator should always be the quality. Quality can be defined as "what the customer is willing to pay for their requirements", so it's up to you, but logically you don't want it as a rust stain in your driveway in a year or two.
I note "Wish I had coils" comment of, "I do have a mandrel system but it's just because I could".

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
The 3" Mandrel bent system on my CRD makes a big difference to the performance of the poor little 3litre 4 potter pushing it around. (Needs all the help it can get)

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
I'm wanting / needing a 3" mandrel bent for my zd30. How much am I looking at? I like the look of the price for the Scott rods system.

But which place is recommended for what price?

I was quoted like $1400 for a 2 3/4 mandrel from beauy exhausts.

Any thought's ideas?

Cheers

Deccers

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Paid $1200 fiited for sterling 3" mandrel bend, high flow cat. I notice the differnce straight up more grunt earlier in the rev range. When my troll comes back tommorow it will be rapid chiped too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Once the exhaust is fitted do you have to make any adjustments to stop it over/under boosting or any thing else??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,510 Posts
Once the exhaust is fitted do you have to make any adjustments to stop it over/under boosting or any thing else??
Mine didn't overboost to the point of limp, but they can, mine just spooled up very quickly giving me a bit to much boost at low revs (not always good), adjusted VNT stop to suit.

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
What about with the CRD, do you require an other changes once fitted or was it bolt on and drive ?

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great reading fellas, always interesting seeing the different experiences members have had.
Are there any stats on what size pipe is most fuel efficient for varying litre sized diesel engines?
We all probably know the TD42 engine had a blocked nose (exhaust outlet) which restricted the engine ouput to try and meet world standards.
Are the newer engines also restricted?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts