Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to run a Turbotech (eBay $30 job), which I had no issues with, until 1 day I was washing the car and I hit it with a direct stream from the pressure washer that must have gone straight in the breather hole, and after that all i had was issues, even after cleaning it out carefully and readjusting it etc......

I would just buy another one, but I advised a mate to buy one recently, and after having seen the new one, I'm not happy with the build quality anymore.

So what do you run and why? And how much? Do you use a bleed style or a spring and ball bearing style? And why? I don't need it to be adjustable in cab, I just don't want it to be affected by mud and water.

·
Registered
nissan
448 Posts
on my silvia i ran a GFB 2-stage. All machined, good quality stuff. Next to 0 spiking.

It is pricey though...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
I had a cheapo Ebay job on the GQ but found it to be not up to the task on the dyno and swapped it out for a Turbo Smart one on the day.

I know that you know this Marin, at the end of the day it is basically spring tension that makes it work and i figured in the end that a junk spring will deliver a junk result.

There is a bit of science in getting a spring to hold correct and consistant tension.

I have a different cheapo on the GU IV that i fitted before i realised i had problems with the GQ, Not real happy with it to be honest and will likely swap it out at some stage to.

My2c

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
Electronic is probably the go...

But for me Turbo-tech has been great (on several cars over the years).
I have never had any issues with them including boost creep or spiking, mine have been really consistant. IMHO they are a really good product considering how cheap they are. Alot better then your typical bleed valve and even better then some of the top end $ manual controllers available!!!

ETA: I havn't seen the quality of the new ones, but the originals were great...

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,370 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Electronic is probably the go...

But for me Turbo-tech has been great (on several cars over the years).
I have never had any issues with them including boost creep or spiking, mine have been really consistant. IMHO they are a really good product considering how cheap they are. Alot better then your typical bleed valve and even better then some of the top end $ manual controllers available!!!

ETA: I havn't seen the quality of the new ones, but the originals were great...
Yeah electronic ones are so much freindlier to use.

Firstly I had the turbosmart manual valve, easy as to fit and thats probably why I bought it. Fit and play. But then it came to adjusting the darn thing, sometimes the patrol ran low boost, sometimes too much boost and it took ages to get it right. Then i had issues like leak and other crap I dont want to mention.

Then I bought the electronic version of turbosmart. It did jack all but I did improve more in top-end. It did look good near the dash, but adjusting the PSI of the turbo was a hell a lot easier. No leaks or anything because it was fitted by a pro :p. But other than that, it's a waste of money on diesel engines as they hardly do a difference.

Unless we have an RB26DETT with twin HKS Turbotonics like marin has under his hood :p

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SNIP

Unless we have an RB26DETT with twin HKS Turbotonics like marin has under his hood :p
I have the older, slightly less modern version of the RB26DETT, the TD42.

Basically the gripe I have with the new Turbo-tech is that it looks to be a standard brass T piece that you can buy, but it has had a drill put in down one hole to relieve it for the ball bearing and the spring, and the thread in one hole has simply had a tap rammed through the original thread to make the thread to suit the fitting. Pretty poor compared to the original that I thought worked extremely well (until it ingested muddy water at pressure).

Hmmmm seems stupid as the more expensive manual boost controllers are exactly what the Turbo-tech used to be, just they had the brand name. And cost $60 more.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on my silvia i ran a GFB 2-stage. All machined, good quality stuff. Next to 0 spiking.

It is pricey though...
Boost Controllers

Not sure that they make it anymore, and the atomic is a bleed style.

I had a cheapo Ebay job on the GQ but found it to be not up to the task on the dyno and swapped it out for a Turbo Smart one on the day.

I know that you know this Marin, at the end of the day it is basically spring tension that makes it work and i figured in the end that a junk spring will deliver a junk result.

There is a bit of science in getting a spring to hold correct and consistant tension.

I have a different cheapo on the GU IV that i fitted before i realised i had problems with the GQ, Not real happy with it to be honest and will likely swap it out at some stage to.

My2c

What are you looking to swap it out with? Another Turbo Smart?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
What are you looking to swap it out with? Another Turbo Smart?
Yeah i think so. the turbo smart fitted to the GQ is what they stock at the Dyno centre and you would expect for that alone they have a decent wrap.

I just struggle with how bloody basic they really are and tapping out at over $100 buck is robbery i rekon, allot of money for a decent spring???

Will be interested to hear if you find something suitable i would look at it.

The one i fitted to the GU has a return tube off the controller that is purged into the engine bay and lets off a bit of a squeal at max boost that i am not sure i like..

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might just go the Turbo Smart.... I don't have the expendable income to be trying out stuff like I did the first time around LOL

·
Registered
378 Posts
how high can you set the boost with a 3 bar boost controller ? from reading the ad i thought it said 17psi i would assume marins car runs at least 22psi

1 - 20 of 59 Posts