Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys really need some help, so i own a 1994 tb42 efi gq patrol, and the auto gear box is stuffed, ive always wanted to convert it to a manual, and i think now is the peferct time, im just wondering what i would need to convert it, and if its going to be to hard. A local gearbox shop offers an 2nd hand auto for $700 or a manual kit with gearbox for $1100 i asked them what it has in it, and they just said everything you need. They have a long waiting time to do it so not sure wether i try do it at home on ramps or do the auto? Thoughts on this guys really stuck on what to do, i prefer to drive manual as i get bored in auto but if its going to be to hard and complicate things i might just stick to auto.

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
To convert from auto to manual you will need.

• Manual Gearbox
  • Manual Gearbox cross member
  • Flywheel
  • new clutch and pressure plate
  • slave cylinder
  • clutch Booster and master Cylinder
  • clutch lines hard and rubber line
  • floor gearbox boots and rubber
  • brake and clutch pedal

Then you will need to change a few wires in the engine bay to cater for park neutral in the auto and your reverse lights.

I prefer auto and would go that path but would only use a second hand auto if I knew it was low kay. Will still have to have your convertor reco as well. Have done a manual conversion and auto swap on the garage floor before and they are not easy. Everything is super heavy and two pairs of hands is required

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts

• Manual Gearbox
  • Flywheel
  • slave cylinder
  • brake and clutch pedal

Then you will need to change a few wires in the engine bay to cater for park neutral in the auto and your reverse lights.

I prefer auto and would go that path but would only use a second hand auto if I knew it was low kay. Will still have to have your convertor reco as well. Have done a manual conversion and auto swap on the garage floor before and they are not easy. Everything is super heavy and two pairs of hands is required
Don't forget the bell housing.;)

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
Don't forget the bell housing.;)
I took that as a given but you are right..........then we would also have to include the clutch fork and thrust bearing carrier. And lastly the bronze spigot bearing

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say for the $1100 quoted you would still need a clutch and labor to install it all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

• Manual Gearbox
  • Flywheel
  • slave cylinder
  • brake and clutch pedal

I actually just went and drove my mates gq which is manual just to be sure that’s the path I wanted to take can confirm I don’t hahaha it can be more fun to drive at times but the auto is definitely the way. Any thoughts on where I go from here, do I either get it recondition or buy a recon or 2nd hand one. Are they easy to fit on just standard car ramps if it’s already an auto?

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
I actually just went and drove my mates gq which is manual just to be sure that’s the path I wanted to take can confirm I don’t hahaha it can be more fun to drive at times but the auto is definitely the way. Any thoughts on where I go from here, do I either get it recondition or buy a recon or 2nd hand one. Are they easy to fit on just standard car ramps if it’s already an auto?
I would tracking down the auto from a late model ZD30 GU as you will have a better chance get one with low kays. I would then get your torque converter reco'd and throw it all back together. Can be done on the ground but it is a two man job. Splitting the transfer off first makes it easier. Getting your reco'd will be looking at around $4-$5k these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts