Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just destroyed my locking hubs, who makes the best manual locking hubs for a GQ Patrol, was warned that my last ones where cheap and nasty and I managed to prove it. I didn't put them on, they was on when I bought it so I am not sure who made them but any ideas of the best replacement?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
Genuine Nissan manual locking hubs would be the best option, cheapish and strong even if you have to get them from the wreckers.

DON'T buy ORA brand ones they're sh17, weak cast and explode under little load.

VVV Don't Buy VVV
Patrol Free Wheeling Hub NEW | eBay

Bought for my brothers patrol to replace the auto locking hubs, still under warranty luckily.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back home here a pic of the damage, will have look into the AVM and genuine nissan ones. Cheers guys

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get the AVM High Performance one (the one with red knob), the internal is machined rather than cast as from the standard one. They are about $80 more.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I haven't heard good things about the AVM hubs. I'd rather buy genuine ones that have been left outside sitting in the rain for a year before I'd buy the AVM ones.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
I haven't heard good things about the AVM hubs. I'd rather buy genuine ones that have been left outside sitting in the rain for a year before I'd buy the AVM ones.
That's the thing, you never know how people use their vehicles. The positive reviews I was reading about AVM could have come from people who think traveling along a grated dirt road is 4wding and would have trouble breaking the weakest manual locking hubs.

Yeah the Nissan ones are good haven't broken mine *yet* and given them hell with a front lokka. Problem is you don't know how they've been treated and some people think they're made of gold some of the prices you see, just gotta keep an eye out for bargains. The good thing with new ones is they come with at least 1 year warranty and if you can't break em within the 1 year warranty period they're probably a half decent product.

Thanks GUIV for that piece of information, didn't know AVM did high performance ones. We'll have to give these ones a try.

AVM Free Wheeling Hubs GQ GU MAV. HIGH PERFORMANCE NEW | eBay

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I just had my standard nissan ones unlock themselves. I'm off to buy some permanently locked drive flanges.

·
Registered
nissan 93st
1 Posts
Back home here a pic of the damage, will have look into the AVM and genuine nissan ones. Cheers guys
we will give the next set a work out to mate next trip over make sure they are good ones :D:crazy: will try find some more hills to play on

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
still got my genuine hubs, 21 years old, definatly go with genuine

·
Registered
407 Posts
holy crap... how did you guys break them? I realise they are probably weak as pi55, but looks like you must have landed while having wheel spin?

·
Registered
163 Posts
They aren't that hard to break. I haven't had one go on me yet, but yes if you land with wheel spin and the tyre grips that force has to go somewhere. So either the cv will twist up on spring back, cv will break or the hub will let the force go. Hill climbs with step ups are a good place to do hubs. I replaced my Auto locking GQ hubs after they disengaged a few times with genuine nissan manual hubs and they have been good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had avm hubs on mine and they busted,wet back to genuine nissan and no more problems..

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I used all types of aftermarket hubs on my pig, broke the lot. AVM were the worse in my opinion. Genuine are the way to go fella.
Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts